PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Marine Laid To Rest

thedrifter
10-17-07, 07:36 AM
Liberty Marine Laid To Rest

Tue Oct 16, 7:18 PM ET

Lance Cpl. Jeremy Burris was laid to rest Tuesday in his hometown of Liberty.

Several hundred friends, relatives and people who never met the 22-year-old turned out to pay their respects and show support to the Marine's family.

He was eulogized as a hero who paid the ultimate sacrifice for his country and was living his dream serving as a Marine.

Burris died in Iraq when his vehicle hit a hidden explosive device.

Burris' father told Local 2 that his son survived the initial blast and helped get the wounded Marines out of the vehicle, but was killed in a second explosion.

Burris was remembered as a young man who loved God, his family and his country.

He sang and played guitar at his church, worked as a Christian missionary and was the oldest of seven children.

The Burris family has two other sons serving in the military.

Ellie

thedrifter
10-17-07, 10:31 AM
10/17/2007
In a small town, an outsize outpouring of grief for Marine who died in Iraq
By: PAUL S. MARTINEZ , The Enterprise

LIBERTY - Lance Cpl. Jeremy Burris will be remembered as a man with great faith and an example of freedom's price, residents of this community said Tuesday.

Thousands in this town of about 10,000 people lined the streets to honor Burris, 22, killed Oct. 8 in Iraq by a roadside bomb.

With schools allowing students to attend the event, Main Street became a sea of flags and homemade signs.

"In a small town like this, when one family hurts, we all hurt," said Kathy Dangle, principal of the Hardin-Chambers Center, a disciplinary alternative school serving Liberty and Chambers counties.

The school is near Cornerstone Church, where funeral services were held Tuesday. Burris also attended the church while living in Liberty.

Dangle's fourth- through 12th-graders stood outside during the funeral.

"I want (my students) to find a hero in this young man," Dangle said. "We have freedoms we take for granted every day. That freedom isn't free - it cost many young men their lives."

Burris was known for leading praise and worship services with his youth group. Between finishing home schooling in Liberty and joining the Marines in November 2005, he attended a Christian discipleship program in Tacoma, Wash.

Helen Green, a former neighbor of Burris who was the eldest of seven children, remembered the family playing in a treehouse concealed by the leaves of a large magnolia tree.

"I would walk my dog by there every day and remember noises coming from behind the leaves," Green, a former Liberty councilwoman, said as she held one side of a banner that read "Welcome Home."

Jessie Conner, who lives across the street from the Burris family, said when she moved in 10 years ago, Burris' mother dressed her children in their "Sunday best" and brought her a friendship cake.

"(The mother) invited me to go to church. She said they needed more young people at their church,'" the 91-year-old woman said, smiling.

Nick Nelson, 17, attended youth group with Burris.

"(Burris) was an awesome guy," he said. "He would pray for you any time you needed prayer."

Liberty High School students also were allowed outside to line the road as the procession passed.

"Some of these kids are a year away from possibly joining the military," Principal David Taylor said. "I want them to understand the sacrifice that is made for freedom."

Burris was driving a patrol vehicle with two other Marines when they were hit by a roadside bomb. Burris survived the initial blast and helped the other two Marines out of the vehicle, Burris' father said.

Burris returned to the vehicle to get some equipment. A second bomb detonated, killing him instantly, his father said.

Ellie

badassmarine9
10-17-07, 11:52 AM
Semper Fi. Wow! what a marine

FistFu68
10-17-07, 12:26 PM
:usmc: OF HIS HONOR AND HIS GLORY~THE PEOPLE SHALL SING~REST IN PEACE ~MARINE~:usmc: :iwo:

jerryk
10-17-07, 01:50 PM
all go to i-dineout .com they have it on there also plus a vidio here in liberty,texas of some of the funeral with the marine honor guard plus our vfw guard

Soldiers Mom
10-23-07, 12:59 PM
I have read with interest all the info on Lance Corporal Burris. I am the mother of an Army SF soldier and I work for the Army, but I love all our military and hate to see them demeaned in any way.I regret to inform all of you that this past weekend, in a locked, fenced in cemetary, someone took it upon themselves to desecrate this American Hero's grave by destroying everything laying upon it to include all the wreaths and floral tributes and scatter them all over.To me, this is ultimate stupidity and is the sign of someone with no conscience nor a thought process to know right from wrong. LCPL Burris is standing guard in heaven and whomever did this will have to face him when it is their turn to try and enter. He was a loving, Christian young man and will no doubt forgive them their transgressions -- as for myself, I'm not ready!Semper Fi!

Soldiers Mom
10-23-07, 03:23 PM
Unfortunately, not everyone believes that LCPL Burris is a hero. This past weekend, inside the cemetary which is completely fenced and has a locked gate, his grave was the only one attacked by vandals. They shredded everything on top of his grave, to include wreaths, floral displays -- everything -- and spread it all over the cemetary. Police believe it might have been juveniles, but I am not sure. Living in this part of Texas, I have seen too many young adults that were raised by parents that didn't want to "harm their psyche" and consequently, they believe the world owes them and they have no respect for others or the property of others.

I am sure that LCPL Burris is standing tall guarding the gates of Heaven and I am sure when they face him he will be a loving forgiving person like he was here on earth. As for me, I'm not ready to be that nice and that is as honest as I can be.

jerryk
10-23-07, 06:19 PM
who every it was, they better hope to god the police gets them before us marines here in liberty finds out who did this ,cause we are a band of brothers till death, we will find out no matter their reason, it will be bad on who did this ,not a threat its a promise to our brother

yellowwing
10-23-07, 06:27 PM
Whoever it was they are sitting at home trying to watch TV but thinking, "Oh chit! I frakked up Royally." :mad:

Phantom Blooper
10-23-07, 06:33 PM
RIP Marine! And may his hand come forth through the clouds of heaven and choke the shiat out of those cowardly vandals! :mad:

:evilgrin:

yellowwing
10-25-07, 08:52 PM
Texas police arrested a man accused of vandalizing the gravesite of a Marine killed in Iraq to sell parts of floral arrangements left in his memory. <br />
Fox News <br />
<br />
Lance Cpl. Jeremy Burris, 22, of...