PDA

View Full Version : Officer?

firebrick
10-14-07, 04:54 PM
I just got back from boot this last week. Going to SOI soon. My recruiter is now an officer recruiter and it trying to talk to me about going officer. I am 29 and have a 2 year degree. He says that I qualify if I get my 4 year in the next 2 years. I would be a reserve officer since I am in the reserves now. Has anyone done this at such a late age. It seems like there is so much more training if you want to be an officer and I am not as young as I used to be. Before I went to boot I couldnt tell you the difference between enlisted and officer, now it seems like it may be a good opportunity to become one. Any advice from those with experience?

sparkie
10-14-07, 05:22 PM
Afraid of something??? Follow your dreams,,, and overcome.

You finished boot at 29? Got proof? No offense, just askin,and thinkin.

firebrick
10-14-07, 05:44 PM
proof? Im not sure why I would lie. Hotel Co plt 2165. Ask any question you think only someone who just graduated would know. But as far as following dreams, I also have my wife to think of, I just made her sit at home, Im a reserve, while I was away for 3 months and will be away for 2 more at SOI. I have read that Officers training is 6 months long ? I do still want to be married while being a Marine :)

Phantom Blooper
10-14-07, 05:45 PM
PM dscusmc & Isrowei they are both Mustangs:evilgrin:

sparkie
10-14-07, 05:57 PM
Fire,,, your call. Going OCS could improve your, and your wifes life. maybe.
PS I don't know why anyone would lie on this "our" site, but some do. Sorry, Bro.Forgive?

firebrick
10-14-07, 06:23 PM
No biggie sparkie, I am proud that I earned my Eagle Globe and Anchor and wouldnt want someone fibbing about that either. I am going to speak with the recruiter about it Monday if he is available. No decisions will be made until I am back from SOI. My reserve unit is currently at Camp Pendleton and scheduled to leave around Jan so I dont know if I will catch up with them as soon as I am back from SOI or not, that would put off the plans on going officer for awhile I am thinking.

BR34
10-14-07, 06:24 PM
You should check out MCEP. Pretty good program. Get paid your actual base pay while attending college. Go to OCS and Basic School afterwards. I'm not sure how or if at all it's available to reservists though.

sparkie
10-14-07, 06:33 PM
Thinkin is a good thing, Bro.

RLeon
10-14-07, 10:57 PM
Do It!

lovdog
10-16-07, 11:51 AM
I like to start at the end - and work backwards!
1. At 49 years old - if you stay in for 20 years - you should be eligible for retirement benefits - provided you stay with the Corps that long.
2. The benefit package of - lets say a Captain vs a Gunny Sgt. is substantial at 20 years!
3. Since you have your first two years in tact for college - the MC will foot the bill for the balance - and even graduate school if you choose.
4. And - the main reasoning here! If you have a wife - she'll be bi*chin a whole lot less if her man is bringing home a little more "bacon" every two weeks - saves on the ol' eardrums!! Got to keep the little woman happy!
Like the other guys have said - "its your life-what you do from here on out is entirely up to you". You took the first step - now jump off the cliff!! But, don't forget the chute!
SF

gwladgarwr
10-16-07, 01:38 PM
PM dscusmc & Isrowei they are both Mustangs:evilgrin:

I was almost a mustang but I ended up a gelding. :p. See my profile and my flirtation with OCS.

Too old? I turned 33 in bootcamp (the only male in the battalion to score a 300 in the final PFT; them 18-20 year-old kids were pretty bummed!) I was 30 the first time at OCS. Still scored a 300. So what? Most warrant officers and mustangs are often over 30. Big deal. When you join the Marine Corps, you already accept the fact that you will have to sacrifice something, and maybe even your life. So you spend a few months away from the wife. You'd only be going to OCS, not the moon! You get weekend libbo. And at TBS, since you're married, you'd be a brown-bagger (get to go home to the spouse if in the area; single officers enrolled at TBS have to live in the barracks during the six-month training.)

Then, if you're a Reserve officer (they have a new program where you'd truly be a reserve officer who goes straight from MOS school (after OCS and TBS) to once-a-month drilling. Ask your brainwasher...um, OSO, about it.

Don't wait too long, though. Finish up your B.A. See if the wife will support your military career as an officer (she will have to sacrifice as well.) Rack up the MCIs while still a PFC/LCPL. Maintain a high PFT. Volunteer for additional school training for your MOS if possible. If your OSO already sees your worth and approached you for OCS, this could really mean something.

Sgt gw:flag:

firebrick
10-16-07, 08:30 PM
We

firebrick
10-16-07, 08:30 PM
We are seriously

firebrick
10-16-07, 08:32 PM
Sorry about that for some reason my computer posted without me doing it. My wife and I are seriously looking into the PLC program. I would rather stay reserve but I am not ruling anything out.