PDA

View Full Version : Farewell General PACE

bigdog43701
10-14-07, 08:39 AM
As many of you know by now, General Pete PACE "retired" a short time ago. General PACE will long be remembered for being the first Marine to Chair the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

What some may not know, or have forgotten, was that while a young 2Lt in Vietnam he lost men in combat. Every day since he lost his first man he carried a photgraph of him everywhere he went and put it on his desk when given administrative jobs.

His last "act" about one hour before his retirement ceremony was to personnally place a hand written note, along with a set of his General stars at the Wall, for each the Marines he lost. The note simply stated that "These belong to you."

General PACE will always be remembered as a Marine's Marine. I personnally wish him a long and prosperous life.

SEMPER FI, General PACE:flag:

thedrifter
10-14-07, 08:56 AM
Amen!

Ellie

bigdog43701
10-14-07, 11:16 AM
going to attempt to put link here:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2007/10/13/starr.pace.vietnam.wall.notes.cnn

Scottyva
10-14-07, 02:13 PM
Semper Fi MR. Commandant.

bigdog43701
10-14-07, 05:28 PM
bump

Wyoming
10-14-07, 05:48 PM

Great video and post.

Semper Fidelis General Pace.

semperfi170
10-14-07, 07:38 PM
Maybe we can start a groundroots campaign to get General Pace elected as President of the USA. I think it is about time a Marine sets this country back on the right path!:flag:

semperfiman
10-14-07, 07:51 PM
Semper Fi General

FistFu68
10-14-07, 08:57 PM
:usmc: THEY ALWAY'S DRIVE THE GOOD ONE'S OUT :usmc:

ggyoung
10-15-07, 11:19 AM
Tears in my eyes. S/F

ese4mc
10-15-07, 11:30 AM
Definately a class act from a classy individual--HAND SALUTE :flag: :thumbup:

Rowdy1948
10-15-07, 01:21 PM
God speed on your Retirement Semper Fi General Pace.

xroadcop
10-15-07, 04:30 PM
This Speaks volumes

I suspect General Pace would be embarrassed by any attention paid to this act of loyalty. History will debate his effectiveness as CJCS, but their is no debating his decency as a leader.

I wanted to share with you what we saw in Washington DC last week. After the mid-term brief, we toured the Mall and made the usual stops at the WWII Memorial, the Wall, Lincoln Memorial, etc. At the Vietnam Wall we saw something unbelievable.

We noticed three small index cards at the base of the Wall. I knelt down for a closer look and noticed that a 4-star general's rank was pinned to each card. The cards were personally addressed and said something like:

These are Yours - not mine!
With Love and Respect,
Your Platoon Leader,
Pete Pace
1 Oct

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs had laid down his rank for his boys who
died in Nam just the day before! I later found out that 1 Oct was also
the same day he stepped down as chairman.

LtCol Lloyd Edwards USMC (Ret)

http://www.onelastmission.org/ (http://www.onelastmission.org/)

Mytcbra96
10-15-07, 04:30 PM
God Bless you General Pace. Gunny I would vote for the General in a heart beat! Semper Fi

Merc6432
10-15-07, 06:10 PM
Semper Fi and God Speed General Pace.!

fontman
10-16-07, 07:22 PM
http://fontman.smugmug.com/photos/209005433-M.jpg

fontman
10-16-07, 07:26 PM
Maybe we can start a groundroots campaign to get General Pace elected as President of the USA. I think it is about time a Marine sets this country back on the right path!:flag:Pete is not a politician. I would suggest that he be made Secretary of Defense, at least. He would get my blessing, for damned sure. I had the pleasure of meeting him back in 1987 when he was a light bird when he came into the office of the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps (Dave Sommers) making a courtesy call. As I was the sergeant major's admin chief, we shot the shiat for at least 10 minutes until he could talk to Dave. He was then and to this day, a Marine's Marine.

;)

Rioshy
10-17-07, 09:48 PM
Please don't bash me for this. Being in the Army I served the same Joint Chief you did and this deserves a HooAh and a Salute. I have watched this man Lead us in Iraq and make sure we got all the training we needed. Even if indirectly it still had a direct effect on us. In my Opinion Marines are some of the hardest MOFO's on the planet and I know from experience I couldn't make it as a Marine but knowing your there helps me to continue my support mission to you guys.

semperfi170
10-17-07, 11:28 PM
The country does not need a politician, it needs a no nonsense, straight speaking individual with a strong moral compass. Qualities that General Pace has demonstrated throughout his career!:flag:

Those qualities would probably work against getting him elected unless it was a huge grassroots campaign to in every state to make him a write-in candidate.:thumbup:

bigdog43701
10-21-07, 12:20 PM
bump