PDA

View Full Version : Saluting the colors

Achped
10-13-07, 09:58 AM
I know pretty much everything about saluting, I mean, I am a Marine (I love saying that)

But anyways, how does it work when you walk pass the colors? In the civilian world (in uniform) or on base?

I know its 6 paces before and hold it until 6 paces after, does that apply to every American flag or what?

Phantom Blooper
10-13-07, 10:05 AM
Your Arm May Hurt..........

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

However this is one of the finest pleasures of being a United States Marine.:evilgrin:

LeonardLawrence
10-13-07, 06:37 PM
lol....
dont let the Battalion Gunner catch you walking past the BN colors and the National colors while they are doing parade drill. It is mighty embarassing!

Also...if you are on a Navy base...just watch what the sailors do...then don't do the same.... ;)

bootlace15
10-13-07, 06:48 PM
My flag is being flown at half staff since the President of the United Staes and every congressman and Senator said we are at War with Terrorisim. My flag will remain that way until the end of this war or until I die. Then my son knows what to do.Show respect for those who have fallen and those that are about to.

bootlace15 out

capmarine
10-13-07, 08:25 PM
am i right in that the new federal law for active duty and former military,may render a salute when the National Athem is played,cover or no cover.

Phantom Blooper
10-13-07, 08:56 PM
Heres a link.............:evilgrin:

http://www.fortpolkguardian.com/articles/2007/10/05/fort_polk_news/013salute.txt

LeonardLawrence
10-13-07, 09:06 PM
hmmm....interesting. I think I would feel weird about that one...saluting in civvies, personally. I try to attend all the parades and such and am teaching my 3 year old...and this year my 2 year about standing when the Colors come through and hand on the heart and such.....

Not sure about the salute though...like the idea, but in a way it sounds very foriegn to me....

yesyouam
10-13-07, 09:10 PM
Saluting without a cover just sounds so... Army.

yesyouam
10-13-07, 09:11 PM
And saluting out of uniform just sounds so... Benny Hill.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with the hand over the heart.

LeonardLawrence
10-13-07, 09:16 PM
Exactly yes....I am all about respecting veterans, the flag, mom and apple pie, but think this is a bit over the top.

With a VFW cover "in uniform" great--have at it....but just a "moe", no way. Too many questions...like if I am going to salute should I leave my ball cap on? (I think that flies in the face of respect). What do I tell the guy next to me, who's hotdog and beer I smacked out of his hands when I was in doubt...and whipped it out.

I see some serious lawsuits as a result of this....in the personal injury field from
1. Marines hurting folks when snapping the crisp hand salute....or
2. Older generation Marines breaking elbows and wrists when they render honors.

Don't even get me started on the potential consequences or questions involved with wearing my NCO sword to the game! :)

Covey_Rider
10-14-07, 06:54 AM
Don't even get me started on the potential consequences or questions involved with wearing my NCO sword to the game! :)

That's motivation right there. I would enjoy that all to much.:D

capmarine
10-14-07, 03:26 PM
i was at a Padres ballgame a few weeks ago and i saluted-felt great to do.

vicbx2006
10-14-07, 03:49 PM
I haven't been home for a baseball game since I've been in.

Saluting in uniform at Yankee Stadium is gonna give me such a hard-on!!

:D

Accord
10-15-07, 02:35 PM
I've been to a couple Miami Heat and Florida Panthers games since i've been a Marine (all attended in uniform) and I never saluted because the games are held indoors in an arena and I was uncovered, therefore I simply stood at attention facing the colors eyeballs locked to the front. I had to explain to at least a dozen civilians that Marines do not salute indoors or uncovered because they simply couldn't believe that a US Marine in uniform wasn't saluting the flag.

Phantom Blooper
10-15-07, 02:47 PM
Saluting in uniform at Yankee Stadium is gonna give me such a hard-on!!

Please inform the person in front of you for courtesy sake to either get out of the way or move to another seat.:evilgrin:

FistFu68
10-15-07, 03:06 PM
:evilgrin: YOU'LL KNOW WHAT TOO DO MARINE,THE NEXT TIME YOU'R AT A PARADE AND THE USMC;BAND COMES MARCHING BY PLAYING THE MARINE CORPS HYMN.COVER OR NO COVER:evilgrin: :iwo:

yanacek
10-15-07, 06:12 PM
The Bill proposed by Senator Inhofe to permit the saluting of the flag uncovered or while in civvies passed unanimously in the Senate on 25 July 2007. However, for a Bill to become law, it must be passed by both the Senate and the House, then must be signed by the President.

The Bill HAS NOT passed the House as of yet and has not been signed by the President. It is not yet law. Here is a link for those interested in following this legislation: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-1877

Leave it to the Army to pass bum scoop!

vicbx2006
10-16-07, 05:18 PM
Please inform the person in front of you for courtesy sake to either get out of the way or move to another seat.:evilgrin:
LMAO!! Roger that SSgt.:thumbup: