PDA

View Full Version : Commandant's Marine Corps Birthday Ball

thedrifter
10-12-07, 07:45 PM
Commandant's Marine Corps Birthday Ball
November 10, 2007

On November 10, 1775, the Second Continental Congress resolved to raise two battalions of “American Marines.” Congress commissioned thirty-one year old Samuel Nicholas, a well-known Philadelphian, as captain of the fledgling force of Continental Marines. Nicholas raised two battalions of Marines as directed and began the long illustrious history of the United States Marine Corps.

On November 1, 1921, General John A. Lejeune issued Marine Corps Order No.47, Series 1921.The order provided a summary of the history, mission, and traditions of the Corps. General Lejeune directed that the order be read to every command each subsequent year on November 10th in honor of the founding of the Marine Corps. This tradition has continued every year since 1921 throughout the Corps.

The first official “Birthday Ball” was probably held in 1925 in Philadelphia. No official records of the event were held prior to that date. Guests at the ball in 1925 included the Secretary of the Navy, General Lejeune, well-known national leaders, and representatives from all the military services.

On October 28, 1952, Commandant General Lemuel C. Shepherd, Jr. directed the celebration of the Marine Corps Birthday be formalized throughout the Corps. The details were included in the Marine Corps Drill Manual approved in 1956. General Shepherd’s order helped bring together the inclusion of a cake ceremony and other traditions still held every year at the Marine Corps Birthday Ball.

This year our proud tradition continues. On November 10, 2007, General James T. Conway, 34th Commandant of the Marine Corps, invites you to celebrate the Corps' 232nd Birthday at the Commandant’s Marine Corps’ Birthday Ball, in Washington D. C. We look forward to seeing you at the gala event!

www.usmcbirthdayball.com/site5.aspx

Ellie

badassmarine9
10-17-07, 11:50 AM
our school is hold a marine corps ball. I am on the ceremony drill team. MCJORTC!!!! I am a hardcore marine.....Ooh Rahh

gwladgarwr
10-17-07, 12:18 PM
our school is hold a marine corps ball. I am on the ceremony drill team. MCJORTC!!!! I am a hardcore marine.....Ooh Rahh

Uh...no. Since you are a high school student and have not graduated from either high school or boot camp, YOU ARE NOT A MARINE, hardcore or otherwise. You are in a Marine Corps JROTC unit in high school, not in the actual Marine Corps. There is a huge difference, and they are not the same thing.

I would suggest that you change your member name to something that does not include the word 'Marine' as you have not yet earned the right to bear that title.

Additionally, since you are not a Marine, you also do not understand how to spell certain Marine Corps terminology (and the historical reasons as to why it is spelled that way.)

'Marine Corps' (or in full, United States Marine Corps) is ALWAYS capitalized. Use the shift key on your keyboard when appropriate. Remember: big 'M' on 'Marine' and big 'C' on 'Corps'.

An individual member of the Marine Corps is a 'Marine', not a 'marine'. Burn that into your brain housing group and retrieve it for future use.

And fill out your profile completely - this is not optional on this forum.

Honestly, if you are in a Marine Corps JROTC unit, why haven't your instructors taught you any of this?

To my Marine brothers and sisters:

As a Marine, I'll be celebrating the 232nd birthday of my beloved Corps at the Commandants Ball with my fellow Marines (at $100.00 a pop). And no open bar. Hope the birthday ball tchochkes are decent.

Sgt gw:iwo:

thedrifter
10-19-07, 01:25 PM
USMC Birthday Message
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY MESSAGE - 10 NOVEMBER 2007

UNCLASSIFIED
DTG (ZULU) 190229Z OCT 07
ALMAR 044/07
MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC//
SUBJ/UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS BIRTHDAY MESSAGE - 10 NOVEMBER 2007//
POC/SGT M. BELL/ADMIN CHIEF/CMC STAFF GROUP/-/TEL 703) 614-2326//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/

1. SINCE THE BIRTH OF OUR NATION, OUR LIBERTY HAS BEEN PURCHASED BY VALIANT MEN AND WOMEN OF DEEP CONVICTION, GREAT COURAGE, AND BOLD ACTION; THE COST HAS OFTEN BEEN IN BLOOD AND TREMENDOUS SACRIFICE. AS AMERICAS SENTINELS OF FREEDOM, UNITED STATES MARINES ARE COUNTED AMONG THE FINEST LEGIONS IN THE CHRONICLES OF WAR. SINCE 1775, MARINES HAVE MARCHED BOLDLY TO THE SOUNDS OF THE GUNS AND HAVE FOUGHT FIERCELY AND HONORABLY TO DEFEAT THE SCOURGE OF TYRANNY AND TERROR. WE ARE MARINES - THAT IS WHAT WE DO.

2. IN THE WORDS OF PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY: "IN THE LONG HISTORY OF THE WORLD, ONLY A FEW GENERATIONS HAVE BEEN GRANTED THE ROLE OF DEFENDING FREEDOM IN ITS HOUR OF MAXIMUM DANGER." MAGNIFICENT HEROES FOUGHT IN THE WHEAT FIELDS OF BELLEAU WOOD, IN THE SNOWS OF THE CHOSIN, AND ON THE STREETS OF HUE CITY. YOUR GENERATION BEARS THIS OBLIGATION NOW, AND IT IS BORNE ON MIGHTY AND CAPABLE SHOULDERS. JUST LIKE THE MARINES AT BELLEAU WOOD - WE ARE ONCE AGAIN ENGAGED IN SUSTAINED OPERATIONS ASHORE. JUST LIKE AT BELLEAU WOOD - THE MARINES HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE TOUGHEST SECTOR AND HAVE PREVAILED OVER A RESILIENT AND DETERMINED ENEMY - WHO HAS MADE US PAY FOR OUR GAINS. ONCE AGAIN, AS IN ANY STRUGGLE, THE ROAD AHEAD IS FAR FROM CERTAIN, BUT AS MARINES, WE ARE NOT DISSUADED BY THE CHALLENGES OF WAR OR THE TOUGH CONDITIONS OF A WARRIOR'S LIFE. INDEED, WE DON'T JUST ACCEPT OUR DESTINY - WE SHAPE IT.

3. ON OUR 232ND BIRTHDAY, TO EVERY MARINE - THOSE STILL IN UNIFORM AND THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED HONORABLY IN THE PAST - BE PROUD OF WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU DO. KNOW THAT YOUR CITIZENSHIP DUES HAVE BEEN PAID IN FULL; YOU ARE PART OF THIS NATION'S ELITE WARRIOR CLASS. CHERISH OUR FAMILIES WHO OFFER MARVELOUS SUPPORT, ABIDING RESOLVE, AND STEADFAST PATIENCE. REMEMBER THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED AND THOSE WHO HAVE FALLEN - THEIR NAMES ARE CHISELED ON THE ROLL CALL OF AMERICA'S HEROES. THOSE WHO HAVE CARRIED THE BATTLE COLORS OF OUR CORPS HAVE FORGED OUR HERITAGE, AND TODAY'S GENERATION OF LEATHERNECKS CHART OUR FUTURE. CARRY THE COLORS WITH PRIDE; CARRY THEM WITH HONOR.

4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARINES! SEMPER FIDELIS, JAMES T. CONWAY, GENERAL, U.S. MARINE CORPS, COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS//

booksbenji
10-31-07, 06:31 PM
:flag:

http://www.marines.mil/comrel/120day.nsf/MCBall2007

:thumbup:

thedrifter
11-05-07, 06:19 AM
Will be attending the Retirement Ball on Nov. 17th in Jacksonville...

Ellie

thedrifter
11-06-07, 06:12 AM
Press Release
Public Affairs Office
DIV PUBLIC AFFAIRS;
HQMC, WASHINGTON, D.C.
703-614-4309

Release # 1105-07-0926
USMC to celebrate birthday with two public events
Nov. 5, 2007

WASHINGTON -- The Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. James T. Conway will commemorate the 232nd birthday of the United States Marine Corps with a wreath laying ceremony at 10 a.m. on Nov. 10, at the Marine Corps War Memorial in Arlington, Va.

There will also be a Marine Corps Worship Service to celebrate the birthday at 4 p.m., Nov. 11, at Washington National Cathedral located at the Wisconsin and Massachusetts Avenues intersection.

This moving and inspirational annual celebration offers civilians, service members and their families the chance to pause in prayer and pay tribute to Marines who have given the ultimate sacrifice to God, country and Corps.

Both ceremonies are open to the public and limited parking is available. Uniform for active duty Marines is Dress Blue "B" with ribbons, or Service "A" with ribbons and badges. Other services should wear their equivalent service uniform; civilian dress is business suit.

Ellie

thedrifter
11-06-07, 06:20 AM
Nothing to do on the 10th and want to be with Your Brothers and Sisters from Jacksonville, NC, Marines and Spouses are invited to come to Spanky's Sports Bar for the Marine Corps Bithday Celebration at 8:00 PM..

http://www.spankys-sports-bar.com/upcoming_events.html

Mark and I will be there...;)

To Get address...
http://www.spankys-sports-bar.com/

Last Year's pix's from Spanky's Marine's Birthday Bash
http://fontman.smugmug.com/gallery/2116108#114069759

Ellie

latinlady
11-06-07, 06:47 AM
im the youngest Marine on this base! so i will be there for my the NCOs ball not to sure about the Commandants ball though