PDA

View Full Version : Beaufort Marine Honored with Bronze Star

thedrifter
10-12-07, 07:39 PM
10/12/07
Beaufort Marine Honored with Bronze Star
WTOC, GA

The Bronze Star is one of the military's most prestigious awards. One of our local Marines is the latest recipient of this award.

Staff Sgt. Daniel Bogart repeatedly put his life on the line to save his fellow Americans fighting in Iraq.

It's an honor not many receive, the Bronze Star Medal with Combat V. But today the military pinned one on Staff Sgt. Bogart for his heroic actions during combat in Iraq.

While he wished his fellow Marines, who served with him in Iraq, could have been with him today, he's proud of this prestigious honor.

"It's an incredible experience it's an honor to be here," said Staff Sgt. Bogart. "All I expected was to clear my roadways, get my job done and get home in one piece...as long as I did that and brought all my guys back home with me, that was my only priority."

It's an honor his family is very proud of.

"It feels good," said Staff Sgt. Bogart's father, Brian Bogart. "If feels good he's here. We were worried about him while he was there and got hurt."

During his deployment, Staff Sgt. Bogart and his team participated in more than 170 combat missions, where they cleared areas from explosives. In fact, he disposed of 11,000 pounds of unexploded bombs that could have killed his fellow troops. What was even more impressive is that many of these missions were conducted under enemy fire.

But one time he was actually hit by an explosive.

"I was at an incident site and an IED detonated nearby and I just caught a little bit of fragmentation and blew my eardrums out," said Staff Sgt. Bogart.

He still managed to manually dismantle explosives and clear the area.

"All Marines are special, but when you go out there and actively, every day, disarm explosive devices to keep other Marines safe, that's what makes him special," said the commanding general of Marine Corps Installations East, Maj. General Robert Dickerson.

"It's extremely rewarding when you can respond to an incident spot and take care of the explosives and hazards there, and then turn around and 100 vehicles pass by the spot you just cleared," said Staff Sgt. Bogart.

While serving in Iraq, Staff Sgt. Bogart was stationed at Camp Pendleton in California.

During this ceremony today, Staff Sgt. Bogart was also given his senior EOD insignia, which recognizes him as an expert in his field. He'll now be training younger Marines at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort.

Reported by: Jaime Dailey, jdailey@wtoc.com

Ellie