PDA

View Full Version : Marine homecoming an opportunity to say thanks

thedrifter
10-10-07, 09:26 AM
October 10, 2007 - 02:00AM
Marine homecoming an opportunity to say thanks
By Ken Buday
Havelock News

The couple caught my attention right away. I couldn’t help but watch.
He was seeing his daughter walk for the first time. His wife had the biggest smile I’ve ever seen.

The toddler, dressed in pink and wearing her daddy’s desert camouflage hat, toted a pink bag around outside a hangar on the Cherry Point flightline as if it were a purse.

She was so grown up, and he had missed months of it, serving his country in Iraq.

The story is not so atypical for our area Marines and sailors. That’s what makes it sad. A lump began to grow in my throat as I watched this cute little girl walk up and give her daddy a kiss.

God, how many times have I taken that for granted with my own daughter?
Something I’ve experienced tons of times without thinking was as special a moment as I’ve ever seen.

I’m supposed to be this unemotional and detached journalist. Not today.
About 200 Marines and sailors were returning home to Cherry Point after months in Iraq.

And, I got caught up in the moments.

Some were seeing children who were born while they were away for the first time.

Others were reuniting with their spouses, who deserve tons of credit for handling everything from the children to the checkbook while their loved ones are away.

Mothers were there to greet their sons. They may be tough Marines, but there’s still something about seeing Mom again.

Signs of all shapes and colors decorated the hangar at VMA-231, but all carried the same message — Welcome home. We missed you. We love you.
Cameras flashed. American flags flapped in the breeze.

The buses loaded with the Marines arrived, and the crowd cheered.

They got out of the buses, and the crowd cheered.

They lined up in formation, and the crowd cheered.

They were dismissed, and everyone cheered.

The sound of running feet quickly followed as children rushed to greet their dads. Wives quickly followed with hugs and tears.

And, then there was this couple — Bryce and Ashley Rose with their daughter, Cadance.

I took in the scene of their greeting — Bryce holding his daughter and Ashley holding her husband.

I had just one, simple question for him upon his return after months away: “How’s it feel to be home?”

He gave me perhaps the most appropriate answer I’ve ever heard.

“God, you have no clue what it feels like,” he said. “Getting to see my daughter walk for the first time and everything, it’s awesome.”
He’s right. I don’t have a clue.

I don’t know what it’s like to be away from my family for months at a time, not knowing if I’ll survive to ever see them again. I don’t know what it’s like to miss birthdays, graduations, anniversaries, my child’s first steps.

I don’t know what it’s like because hundreds of thousands of men and women volunteer to protect this country, to serve during a time of war so I can play golf or go to the beach or try some fishing.

It doesn’t seem fair. Bryce Rose missed his daughter’s first steps, and I’m chasing a little, white ball around.

Somehow, simply thanking him, thanking them all, just doesn’t seem to be enough.

You’ve sacrificed so much. You’ve missed so much.

But, what else can I say?

Know that you are appreciated. Know that you are prayed for. Know that we thank you.

Ken Buday is the editor of the Havelock News. He can be reached at 444-1999 or at kbuday@freedomenc.com.

Ellie