PDA

View Full Version : Military Salute--Sgt. Keith Lagasse

thedrifter
10-10-07, 07:56 AM
10/09/07
Military Salute--Sgt. Keith Lagasse

For every Marine that has to jump from a plane, there's countless other Marines working behind the scenes to keep them safe.

They're known for being the "last to let you down", they're parachute riggers. At the parachute shop on Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, Marines like Sgt. Keith Lagasse inspect and repair parachutes so they're ready to go for when they're needed the most.

"When everything else has gone wrong for the aircrew and the pilots, it takes us to make it all better," said Sgt. Lagasse. "Out of my ten years in, I've had six aircrew and pilots have to use my parachutes... haven't lost a pilot yet and I don't intend on it."

While the work is tedious, Sgt. Lagasse says it's all worth it when you see the end results. "Every day I come to work and touch a parachute. I think about the first time I ever had a an aircrew member have to use my parachutes," said Sgt. Lagassee.

He knows first hand, what they're doing behind the scenes is making a difference.

"I had a child, couldn't have been more than four or five at the time, come up to me, latch onto my leg and say, 'thank you for saving my daddy.' That gave me a true understanding and true love for what I do."

Sgt. Lagasse says serving his country, especially after 9-11 gives him great pride. "It wasn't until there was an attack on American soil that it really hits home," said Sgt. Lagasse. "There's a reason why we do this... a reason we train the way to do."

It's the way he helps run this shop is what really stands out to his fellow Marines.

"He's all about taking care of the Marines that fall underneath him," said Staff Sgt. Michael Schmitt. "He's all about taking care of the pilots and the aircrew that use our gear as well."

That's why we at WTOC salute Sgt. Keith Lagasse.

Reported by: Jaime Dailey, jdailey@wtoc.com

Ellie