PDA

View Full Version : N.M. Teachers on Leave Over War Protests

thedrifter
04-01-03, 08:09 PM
Apr 1, 8:03 PM EST

N.M. Teachers on Leave Over War Protests

By JULIE ANN STEPHENS
Associated Press Writer

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) -- Two high school teachers said Tuesday they have been placed on leave for refusing to remove war-related student artwork posted in their classrooms.

Highland High School teachers Allen Cooper and Geoffrey Barrett said they were told Monday night that they would be suspended if they did not remove the posters.

Barrett, who teaches history and current events, said the student art carried both anti-war and pro-war messages, and was created as part of a class assignment.

"I think this is mostly a violation of the students' rights to have a voice and express their opinions," Barrett said. "Asking me to take down the posters was taking away the voice of the students and I was not going to do that."

Cooper said one of the signs in question in his classroom read "No War Mr. Cooper." It was written by an Afghani student who has had family members killed in U.S.-led bombings in Afghanistan, he said.

"I really agonized over this," said Cooper, an English teacher. "I don't want to be suspended. I just want to teach my classes."

Both teachers said the posters in question were taken down by school officials before classes began Tuesday.

Rigo Chavez, a spokesman for the school district, said the teachers had been placed on paid administrative leave "in connection with the district's policy on the presentation of controversial issues."

Cooper met with officials Tuesday afternoon and was cleared to return to work Wednesday, he and Chavez said. Chavez said he did not know what, if any, conditions might have been imposed.

Barrett said he walked out of a meeting with school officials because they could not point to a district policy that prohibited the artwork.

"Our district policies are that I can't display my own personal opinion, but that is not what this is about. This is about the students' rights and they are too thick-headed to see the difference," Barrett said.

Kathryn Herr, president of the school's parent association, said the suspensions were alarming.

"I'm concerned that we are going to lose good teachers and good teaching over this, that teachers are going to be afraid to give varying perspectives," Herr said.

On Monday, two teachers and a counselor from neighboring Rio Grande High School were cleared to return to work after similar suspensions for refusing to take down anti-war signs.

Sempers,

Roger

MillRatUSMC
04-01-03, 08:49 PM
Good for the state of my birth.
This goes along with display memorials on public property.
Neither pro or anti-war posters.
Now might the students sue because their freedom of speech was infringed on?
We await that in the future.
Will we witness the ACLU suing the State or School district on behalf of the students.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

wrbones
04-01-03, 09:01 PM
This is where my centrist politis come into play.

I wanta know how long the display was up? Most of them are up less than a week. If they'd been up for months, it might be past time for the teachers to move on in their lesson plan. What was the nature of the types of posters? Insulting? Racist? Anti-American?Did the teacheers refuse to remove the displays when initially requested by their immediate superiors? Disobedience in environment is not a good thing. Better to remove them and to file a complaint with the labor union later.

A balance of views would seem to be ok, but if, as MillRat says and I've seen in news stories, if one display isn't ok on a government property, the other isn't either.

This has been one of my experiences with the left wing. They want things one way. Entirely theirs.