PDA

View Full Version : US Official Says Big Battle Under Way at Kerbala

thedrifter
04-01-03, 06:06 PM
AS SAYLIYA CAMP, Qatar (Reuters) - A U.S. military official said on Wednesday U.S. forces were engaged in major fighting with Iraq (news - web sites)'s Republican Guard near Kerbala, the last big city before Baghdad for U.S. troops advancing from the south.

"This is the big battle," the U.S. military official at Central Command forward headquarters told Reuters.

Asked if the fighting represented a much anticipated new push toward the Iraqi capital, the official said: "It well could be."

Kerbala is 68 miles southwest of Baghdad and lies to the west of the Euphrates river. U.S. troops are also pushing north on the eastern side of the Euphrates.

Reuters reporters traveling with invading U.S. and British troops earlier said a pause of several days in their advance toward Baghdad -- under heavy bombardment since the war started 13 days ago -- appeared to be over and armor was moving again.

Reporters with U.S. forces who arrived near Kerbala, a site of Shi'ite Muslim pilgrimage, in the last few days have reported heavy overnight artillery fire on Republican Guard positions.

Republican Guards defending Baghdad's southern outskirts have also been heavily bombarded from the air in recent days.

On Monday, U.S. troops fought Iraqi militia and Republican Guard units near the site of ancient Babylon, across the Euphrates from Kerbala on the eastern bank of the river.

Sempers,

Roger

mrbsox
04-01-03, 07:38 PM
My Father, who art in Heaven. The best equipped and best trained forces in the world are up against a bunch of beat up, worn out fanatics.

May your wisdom and speed be with our troops, as they try and bring Peace and Freedom to the Iraqi people.

Your will be done.

Amen.

mrbsox
04-02-03, 01:31 AM
To all;

It's alittle after 0200 eastern time, in Jersey. I've woke up with a need I can't explain.

The news is on, and it sounds like the push towards Baghdad is moving at a pretty good clip. Sounds like reinforcing troops from other towns are running north.

Let us pray.

Most wise and loving Heavenly Father. Place your shield around or brave troops, your wisdom in their minds, and your speed in their feet, as they try to bring Peace and Freedom to these people.

Your will be done.

Amen