thedrifter
10-08-07, 07:07 PM
Marines take care of their own
Contributed by: Bob Rotruck on 10/8/2007

THE LANDLOCKED SAILOR
By Bob Rotruck, CWO3, USN (ret)
Castle Rock, Colorado

Marines Take Care Of Their Own!
When I was a young Navy Third Class Petty Officer (E-4) while stationed in Agentia, Newfoundland, I was occasionally assigned to stand Shore Patrol at the Navy 103 Club. This was a club on the base where E-2's through E-4's were allowed to attend.

Since Argentia was NOT considered the sun and fun capital of the world, there was not much to do on your off duty time. You could go to the free flick (movie), or the Geedunk (junk food café), or to the club and drink. Now the proper drinking age was never a consideration and usually you went to the club to get drunk. It was open to sailors and marines or any branch of service visiting "Arg!"

Another E-4 and I were standing near the doorway entrance. Our primary objective was to try to ensure that nobody got hurt getting on the bus or walking up the hill to return to their barracks. Two marines had been drinking for several hours when they decided that it was time to hit the "rack" (their bunk).

As they approached the door, one of the marines became very belligerent toward sailors as is the norm when sailors and marines are on liberty together. This marine began to really get annoying and I quietly suggested that he calm down and just go on back to his barracks. Of course, this effort had the opposite effect in that he got louder and ruder.

I told his friend that he had better get his buddy out of their now! The other marine looked at me, looked at his buddy and then, popped him in the jaw with his fist, cold-cocking him on the spot. I looked at him in astonishment.

He said, "He is my fellow marine and friend and I don't want him to get into trouble." With that, he hoisted his buddy up on his shoulder and said, "We take care of our own" out the door they went. I suspect that his friend thanked him the next day even though he had a hang over and sore jaw. At least he wasn't on report! Semper Fi!!!

Fair winds and smooth seas!

Ellie