PDA

View Full Version : Honor

wrbones
07-22-02, 02:02 PM
Saw this type of thread on another site. I posted the following there. Wondered how some of you might define honor and the honor of Marines.

Honor. Integrity, Respect.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They are ideals. Perfection. Freedom. Peace. Knowledge. Wisdom. Understanding. Acceptance. Charity. Spirituality. Leadership. Committment. For some people, there will be no correct response to their question, " What is your definition of Honor?" Honor involves all of these ideals and more. There is one other, mis-used in our myths and stories, it is called chivalry. It is my opinion that Marines embody all of these. We're necessarily a rough lot, but when you touch the core of any Marine, you will find the essence of all of these things...these impossible ideals. They will fight often at the drop of a hat for that which they believe to be right and proper and correct. This is honor, however ocassionally misplaced or misdirected. They will offer you their lives, that you might say and do what you wish in a free society, and they will also hold you accountable for those same words and deeds. This is honor. They have earned much and asked little in return. This is honor. They will offer respect to those who are aged. This is honor. They will offer respect towards the offices of power, while yet ensuring that the holders of such offices are held accountable for their actions. This is honor. They will and have suffered much that others might enjoy freedom. This is honor. They are concerned for the well being of others above their own comforts. This is honor. Marines have fought against impossible odds, and endured every type of discomfort known to mankind...in order that others might be unafraid in their homes. This is honor.You may not see it in the faces of many Marines, for they are often not a noble looking bunch, but they are the Knights of our contemporary age. Yes, we have our fools and our delinquents, but they are held accountable. This, too, is honor. We accept reality, knowing it for friend or foe, and we move on...with honor, integrity and commitment to our goal. Serving our President, and the men, women and children of the United States of America, and the world. This is honor. If you are not a Marine, you cannot comprehend this. It is beyond you. We know and accept this innocent ignorance however we at times decry it. This is honor. We will protect the innocent, and we will educate the ignorant. This is honor. We will never leave our brothers behind, no matter the circumstance, in peace or in war. This is honor. Our fallen brothers will always be remembered. This is honor. Our words and deeds have become legendary, so much so that they are almost mythical in their impact upon the conciousness of our contemporaries. This is honor. Marines will be remembered with Pharaoh's Armies, the deeds of Alexander, the warriors of the Khan's. This is honor. We are feared and respected and loved. This is honor. No words or deeds of any man can take this away from us. This is our honor, and it will never be denied us.

wrbones
07-30-02, 03:25 AM
but I thought 22 folks reading it wasn't enough. So I thought I'd bring it back up.

Barndog
07-30-02, 06:29 AM
Doesn't matter how you slice, dice, parfait or whatever it.

It says everything that matters to me.

Semper FI

Barndog

22DevilPup87
08-07-02, 01:43 PM
I can't say for sure, since I'm not a Marine, but that sounds so very true.

I can't wait to have the opportunity to be part of an organization with such honor.

USMC0311
08-07-02, 03:17 PM
Thank You Warren, I thought I had read everything here. Can always count on a brother to cover my "6"
Semper Fi, Bones

wrbones
08-10-02, 03:19 AM
Those are my words. You're free to use them. If ya make any bucks offa them, ya didn't get the point. (Besides, I want my cut!)

arzach
08-14-02, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by wrbones
Those are my words. You're free to use them. If ya make any bucks offa them, ya didn't get the point. (Besides, I want my cut!)

Here Bones ----cash this---

USMC0311
08-14-02, 05:18 PM
Hey Rick ..Looks like ya got nuff 4 A coke Bro.;)

wrbones
08-14-02, 06:27 PM
Hey, that'll work! I'll take yer beer ration instead! LOL.

arzach
08-14-02, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by USMC0311
Hey Rick ..Looks like ya got nuff 4 A coke Bro.;)

Just 'enuff'--can't even get a coke fer dat--stateside anyway!
Brews r outta da question--take 3-4 a dese ta git one a dem!!
I'll spring Bros, --Brews on Me in memory of our Fallen Bros,----

USMC0311
08-14-02, 08:49 PM
Hey Rick,
I remember sumtimes we'd chase charlie into the bush and when we came to a clearing.. there'd be a little Vietnamese kid with a basket full of cokes, sometimes cold.. always wondered how the hell they got'em cold. and they was 50 cents MPC.. tiger **** was a dollar. sum the memories are good, but we both know where the end.
Semper Fi, Rick..we play what we been dealt. ain't but a thing.
thanks for a good Memory Bro..

JAMarine
08-15-02, 10:48 AM
Your Right On Warren.

What is Honor? Look in the mirror Bro. We are HONOR!!

arzach
08-15-02, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by USMC0311
Hey Rick,
I remember sumtimes we'd chase charlie into the bush and when we came to a clearing.. there'd be a little Vietnamese kid with a basket full of cokes, sometimes cold.. always wondered how the hell they got'em cold. and they was 50 cents MPC.. tiger **** was a dollar. sum the memories are good, but we both know where the end.
Semper Fi, Rick..we play what we been dealt. ain't but a thing.
thanks for a good Memory Bro..

That's a fact Joe--I remember gittin' called out, middlle of the nite at1/1--Had ta cross da river there by Hoi An, well we spent da whole damn nite gittn' each other un-stuck---then when it got lite all of us was stuck--gooks showed up in BOATS, Bro--sellin' everything!--Dinky dau smokes, cokes, Tiger beer and, do ya remember "33" beer? Always wondered if "33" was a part of Rolling Rock, out of Latrobe,Pa.
Semper Fi Bro
Proud ta Know You
Rick

wrbones
09-01-02, 12:54 AM
It is my great honor to be the least among you.

DEP_Walker
09-02-02, 11:32 AM
That's awesome.

wrbones
01-18-03, 01:24 PM
once again to the top...

...for effect.

Barndog
01-18-03, 03:47 PM
Honor. So many proclaim to have it. Few know what it is.
This, from the Top - is my definition. Mine alone.

Honor is sitting with your Marine Father in deer camp on a November evening at night. Being Marines. I could in no other way Honor my Father in no greater way, than to earn that Honor that he Honored so many before him, who gave it to him to earn.
Honor. Earn This. Easy to say isn't it. Do you live it?

Sitting with my Father that night, he told me stories I have never shared. It's time to Honor him. Pop told me about Chosin. The freezing cold. He still feels it The numbness he still gets in his fingers and toes to this day. Honor is the reason he never called the VA. While MacArthur was telling political stories to Washington, Marines were surrounded by 'the PLA (China's 9th Army Group) - Pop said 'everywhere you looked they were there by the hundreds....... the smell of garlic was incredible the little nip bastards...even dead you still smelled the garlic on the frozen dead nip bastards' ...(interesing - Ken, my Korea Bro tells me the same thing.. another story, another time) "Honor is freezing your ass off shaking so G-Damm hard to stay alive to make sure your buddy in the hole next to you doesn't freeze to death and die" (direct quote from my Father).
It happened more than once to my Father. Sometimes from wounds, sometimes not. Pop talked about 'that cold ass long walk up the hill to kick ass...windy,colder than hell we couldnt see sh it, falling down, Tony (he said.... tears in his eyes - I can still see the look of horror on his face and in his soul) it was the god awful most miserable thing I ever did..... and I kept going......we had Marines to go get..'( - best I can tell - it's when LtCol Ray Davis took 1/7 and what was left of 1/5 and went up the side of Toktong Pass in the middle of the night, in -20 temps in blinding wind and snow, to rescue Fox 1/7, that were left behind 5 days earlier to defend it, while the Chinese lay in wait by the thousands.)

Honor. Earn this.

We all should know what happened next. We kicked ass. We took names. Legends were made. My Father is a part of that Legend. He bears the mark of those men. Honor.

And then I think........ who in the fu ck am I? Just who? Should "I" be afforded the same Honor as THAT man? My Father? That man who put the roof over my head, food in my stomach? That had the guts to tell my Mother, when she had the affair with my Step Dad to get fu cked? Then, kicked his ass? Then, once I realized that, all along, MY FATHER was right.........
I saw the spots on the lepoard. (sp) The spots don't go away. EVER. I was far too young to see it...... then when it all happened.
But when I was able to add 1+1.... I gave the ******* step dad my Father's Honor from a Marine's Son. I guess if my Mother ever took something to her grave she never forgave me for, it was the day I kicked his ass. Because I mentioned my Father's Honor more than a few times. And it was because of that Honor, I stood up to my Senior Drill Instructor, and earned something greater.
The privledge to carry Honor and Integrity, of those before me.

That seed was planted deep and well. I was adopted at a week old. In 1957, that was unheard of. That old Marine made me his Son.

It is my Honor to call him Father.
Its is a greater Honor to call him .....

Marine.

SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
"Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"