PDA

View Full Version : Korean Marines in Vietnam

RVHall
10-08-07, 10:35 AM
I had the honor of serving with the 2nd ROK Marine Brigade from 04OCT67 until 24OCT68. If you ever doubted that ROK Marines were our brothers, consider the following:

Korean troops participated in the Vietnam war in 1964-1973.
Total number of soldiers figured approximately 300,000.
Following statistics originated from the Ministry of Defense, Republic of Korea:

Total Troops : 266,363+
Total Casualties : 15,172+ (KIA:4,891+, WIA:10,281+)

Korean Marine Corps
Total Troops : 37,340
Total Casualties : 4,106 (KIA:1,202, WIA:2,904)

NOTE: 4106/37340 = 11% casualties, and this includes all the Marines in rear positions. By the first month of Tet, after four months in-country, I estimated that I had medivaced out an equivalent of half a company.

CONSIDER ALSO: as with all Marines, the kill ratio was outstanding. The only documention I can find is found on a Korean Vietnam veteran's website. http://cafe3.ktdom.com/vietvet/us/trabinh.htm

This is maintained by a Korean Army veteran, but it includes an account of the ROKMC's most famous battle at Tra Binh Dong. I joined 11th Company some nine months later at this famous hill in the Binhson area, and I heard some of the details from the ANGLICO Marine I replaced. However, at the time I had no idea, that this would become historically significant.

Whenever you honor the US Marines who served in Vietnam, please remember our brothers from Korea with whom we fought side by side.

Semper Fi

Wyoming
10-08-07, 11:13 AM

I had the pleasure of working with a few of the ROK troops.

There's only one thing to say about them - Merciless and Badass!!!

Robert Browell
10-08-07, 03:11 PM
The Koreans have been our most faithful asian allies since the end of the Korean war! Every one of them that I have ever met,civilian and military,think that U.S.Marines are the best.Considering how well they fought in Vietnam,that is quite an honor:usmc: