PDA

View Full Version : Grim reaper scares students from Marines

thedrifter
10-05-07, 03:13 PM
Grim reaper scares students from Marines
Bryan Smith, Staff Writer
Issue date: 10/5/07 Section: Campus News

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper299/stills/g32s80o7.jpg

Death stared down GCSU students last Thursday when an individual dressed as the grim reaper stood outside of Arts & Sciences in protest of Marine recruitment.

A local chapter of the U.S. Marines set up a booth near the fountain outside of A&S. Many students literally passed by the chance to get information, but a few others stopped to chat or actually sign up. Things proceeded that way for two hours. However, this would not turn out to be a normal day at GCSU.

Seemingly out of nowhere, the reaper (who, cooperating with The Colonnade under the condition of anonymity will be referred to as GR) appeared, and a crowd began to form.

He said that he was spurred by “the lack of attention the booth was drawing” and that he also “found their presence there to be a shocking reminder of the thousands of people … being utterly destroyed, emotionally and physically, by a war for oil and strategic positioning in the Middle East.”

Many students looked on, some in amusement and others in disgust, as the individual donned in the drapes of death wielded and waved his scythe as a warning to those who passed.

An older student, himself a veteran, held the scythe in a show of solidarity with GR. Other students stood in strong opposition to the protest, throwing vulgar sentiments at GR and his cause. He caught these vicious verbal blows passively and fearlessly, continuing his protest. The marine recruiter seemed to take the events in stride.

“I wish my buddies were here” he said.

Some went as far as calling GR un-American, questioning his right to protest.

While these students saw the display as a serious matter, others seemed to approach it in a light hearted fashion, laughing amongst friends and posing for pictures. One even offered a hug.

Many students were not as open to GR’s presence, opting to view from a safe distance. They quietly discussed the protest and the war amongst themselves, choosing to remain a calming force amidst the chaos in the area.

GR stated that he hoped that in protesting, “somebody might think about war ... this war, all wars and the carnage and death they require. Some wars may be necessary or just, but this ‘front line in the War on Terror’ is a disgrace to us all.”

While those who saw the actual demonstration will note that there appeared to be a struggle between GR and the recruiter, GR refutes that.

“The recruiters themselves and others that volunteer their service to our country were not the subject of the protest or of the critique,” he said. “The function of this action was to encourage thought and discussion on the nature of war, on our general complacency, and on our ability to speak up and out if we want to.”

By the time mid afternoon classes ended, the Marines had shut down, and GR had left. Classes proceeded as normal without any further demonstration. There was no word on when the marines would return, or whether or not GR would be there to continue his protest.

Ellie

PatriotGirl422
10-05-07, 03:17 PM
Well it at least seems like people didn't look favorably upon the "GR". I'm glad that people understood that he's an ass.

Scottyva
10-05-07, 03:22 PM
And he is wondering why he is getting Negative Attention..... Maybe he should have thanked the Marines for providing the opportunity to show how much of a idiot he is.

Osotogary
10-05-07, 03:55 PM
The Grim Reaper could very well have been been wearing "Cigarettes, Over Medication, Stress, Too much Booze, illicite love affairs, dirty thoughts and using the F word, etc., Kills" signs all over him while walking over towards the
Marine booth. The Grim Reaper, as far as I remember, doesn't really give a poop where he cross-cuts his sickle. To single out the Marines.....just doesn't cut it.

oldharleyrider
10-05-07, 03:56 PM
Oh wow.:tank:

jetdawgg
10-05-07, 03:57 PM
DWI, Crossing the street. You can die anytime, anywhere.

More people die in a hospital than anywhere else. That's why I spend more time in bar as I get older. I am going to die happy:beer:

FistFu68
10-05-07, 04:49 PM
:evilgrin: I WOULD HAVE GONE UP TOO THE MUTHA'FUCER,AND CRACKED HIS AZZ;SO FUCING HARD IN THE FACE WITH MY FIST THAT WOULD HAVE BROKE HIS TEETH AND HE WOULD OF GOTTEN A TASTE OF FUCING REALITY? CHIT I'VE GOT ENOUGH $$$$ TOO GET MY AZZ OUTTA JAIL,WHY DON'T YOU YOUNGBUC'S STEP UP TOO THE PLATE???I'LL GET YOU OUTTA JAIL-NO CHIT:evilgrin:

ggyoung
10-05-07, 07:05 PM
FISTFU=========Just think every morrining when us old buzzards wake-up and we feel all the akes and pains let us know we are still alive. We know we have cheated the "GRIM REAPER" out of one more day.

ggyoung
10-05-07, 07:07 PM
BTW FIST I,m out after the Elk tomorrow.

yesyouam
10-05-07, 07:10 PM
Maybe that Grip Reaper guy was just trying to figure out where to sign up.

ggyoung
10-05-07, 08:00 PM
1/9 The walking dead had as part of there logo the "the grim reaper" Talk about a hard luck Bn. They were the only grunt bn. in Vietnam that had a NVA divison atteached to them.

yesyouam
10-05-07, 08:01 PM
The Walking Dead!

yesyouam
10-05-07, 08:12 PM
If they can't handle the Reaper, they have no business in my Corps anyway! The grim reaper guy was just thinning the herd!

FistFu68
10-05-07, 08:24 PM
:evilgrin: GOOD-LUCK ON THE ELK-HUNT SGT.YOUNG,BE SAFE;KEEP YOU'R POWDER DRY~10/4 OUT~S/F:usmc:

LeonardLawrence
10-05-07, 09:03 PM
lol. I saw the picture and my immediate reaction was the Marine Corps rocks and this is one clever publicity campaign. Sign up for a tour and meet the reaper.

Although, the brown boots make him look sloppy....I think he should have been wearing his dress blues with medals.... ;)

derickhand
10-05-07, 09:15 PM
you all say the walking dead hell let us do him a favor and make his wish come true U.S.M.C. one shot one kill do or die semper-fi hooo raaaawwww

huey guns
10-05-07, 09:22 PM
Hey gg, supposed to snow tonight. Dress warm and good luck.

derickhand
10-05-07, 09:22 PM
may be it is some one from the army wondering how we do it (ARMY) (A aint R reaily M marine Y yet) some one should have probly showed him THE FEW THE PROUD THE MARINES

ggyoung
10-05-07, 09:43 PM
Notice to all you youngens When you say "The Walking Dead" you best say it in a very good way. Lots of very good Marines died with them in Vietnam.

LeonardLawrence
10-05-07, 09:45 PM
Notice to all you youngens When you say "The Walking Dead" you best say it in a very good way. Lots of very good Marines died with them in Vietnam.

~AMEN~:cry:

yesyouam
10-05-07, 10:22 PM
This is why they don't let recruiters come from 1/9-- look at all the attention the guy got!

jetdawgg
10-06-07, 09:52 AM
http://www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil/Public%2FInfolineMarines.nsf/ImageSort/A2301D46CDD088C0852572E4005A69DC/$File/1-9%20Logo.jpg

ggyoung
10-06-07, 03:39 PM
Very good Jet, very good.

jetdawgg
10-06-07, 03:45 PM
gg thanks. All the Marines should know about the 1/9 "Walking Dead".

Scottyva
10-07-07, 09:59 PM
http://www.iimefpublic.usmc.mil/Public%2FInfolineMarines.nsf/ImageSort/A2301D46CDD088C0852572E4005A69DC/$File/1-9%20Logo.jpg

Hey Jett can you get the one for 2/7?:flag::flag:

Sgt Leprechaun
10-08-07, 04:36 AM
This guy was obviously an idiot. If the Marine would have been smart (or had our benefit of 20/20 hindsight LOL) he would have quickly whipped up something like this: (Courtesy Sgt Grit)

DEATH SMILES AT EVERYONE...............MARINES SMILE BACK

Then I would have walked up to GR and asked him if he wanted to sign up!

ggyoung
10-08-07, 11:19 AM
Sgt Lep=========There are GRs in every Marine company. That is why we are soooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

Quinbo
10-08-07, 01:06 PM
http://www.29palms.usmc.mil/fmf/1-7/cco/images/4%20Suicide.gif

Can't Find the one for 2/7

yellowwing
10-08-07, 02:00 PM
2/7 from http://www.29palms.usmc.mil/fmf/2-7/
War Dogs

jetdawgg
10-08-07, 02:36 PM
http://www.29palms.usmc.mil/fmf/2-7/images/WarDogs%20Logo.gif

jetdawgg
10-08-07, 02:42 PM
Sgt Lep=========There are GRs in every Marine company. That is why we are soooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

http://interestingtimes.blogspot.com/1124277.jpg

bmarsh
10-18-07, 07:41 PM
I am a professor at GCSU, and students are still talking about the (GR). I sort of thought it was a Marine in the costume. Whoever it was really created quite a crowd. Isnt that what the recruiters wanted. Any publicitity is good publicity. The crowd seemed very curtious to the Marines, but at GCSU, most students are quite conservative. I would suspect that most would welcome the recruiters on campus.

It is probably not the best campus to recruit on though, most students there have parents with a lot of money.

LeonardLawrence
10-18-07, 10:38 PM
2/7 from http://www.29palms.usmc.mil/fmf/2-7/
War Dogs

No here is a recruiting poster! Ready for All, yielding to NONE!

jetdawgg
10-25-07, 12:02 PM
http://billfisher.dreamhost.com/reaper.html

yellowwing
10-25-07, 12:11 PM
No apathy! Not caring either way will be the death of our hard won Republic.

yellowwing
10-25-07, 12:18 PM
Wow, and he has a link back to us entitled "Leathernecks Respond"

jetdawgg
10-25-07, 05:29 PM
He is informed. I saw that too, that's why I posted the link.

Mean one:usmc:

Gfunk4life
10-25-07, 10:57 PM
Some one shuld have calmy walked by and lit his dress on fire!