PDA

View Full Version : What does THIS mean to YOU?

thedrifter
10-04-07, 10:00 AM
What does THIS mean to YOU?
Posted By The Wolf

http://www.blackfive.net/main/images/2007/10/03/patton1.jpg

This is getting UGLY.

More and more, I'm seeing a lack of respect for the flag. As a symbol, as an item of respect of our nation.

And I blame...

TeachersProfessorsPolicePoliticiansNeighborsLawyer sPoliticiansThePresidentTheGovernorTheMayorCongres smen
SenatorsLegislatorsBossesStudentsCollegesSchoolsPr incipalsPoliticiansKidsParentsInternetTVRadioHowar dStern
MancowForeignersAlQaedaIslamistsTheFrenchMoviesHol lywoodCaliforniaPelosiReidMurthaPoliticiansSchools
CouncilmenLawyers...

Notice I did not include The Military.

'Cause we defend it. Every day. We understand what it means. Apparently, a few DON'T:

Treating the flag some sort idol is pretty barbaric and typical of a paganist, polytheistic world view.

Couple statements like this, with the shopkeeper in Reno, with the old lady in the neighborhood and you start to see a pattern develop. Like we are definitely losing our collective mind.

What DO we stand for now? What DOES this flag mean anymore? And WHY? I seethe every day when I go to my daughter's elementary, and I don't see student council kids learning to raise the flag every morning. I wince every time I see a desecration by activists who do it just to get attention- and not that it has a point to what they protest about. I also CRINGE every time I see a politician wrap themselves in it, stand before it, and don't have the guts to defend it or those that do.

The commenter on one of my posts got me to thinking that we need to start over again- that we need to instill some respect in SOMETHING, anything, or we won't be standing for anything. For long.

We need to make sure that our kids understand what respect is- for the flag, for our country, for each other. And it starts with Old Glory, in my mind. Ok, so you don't want to pledge 'Under God'; I get that, but lets move beyond that and on to respect for the NATION, and her SYMBOL.

You don't respect her, you don't respect me. You don't respect US.

-Wolf

PS- if you want to read some long, but significant, writings on what the flag means, read these findings in law- US v. Eichman and US v. Johnson.

Ellie

jahhead88
10-04-07, 10:29 AM
It means something very sacred to me. I have my fathers flag her carried in World War Two, when there were only 48 states. What I find ironic is that the American Civil Liberties Union, the supposed guardian of rights, does not allow the right to say the Pledge of Allegiance.
I marvel how dumbfounded people got when I worked at DYS that kids have a lack of respect for anything. Well where do they learn this behavior?

I recall one experience I had when I worked for DYS in Missouri. We were watching the opening of the Superbowl, they started playing the National Anthem on T.V.. I stood up and placed my hand over my heart. One other kid stood up with me and did the same thing. I was later asked why I did this, I told this kid about my service in the Marines, and my families service in World War Two. I told them too many people died representing the flag of the United States, and that if no one else was going to, I would honor our flag, because as far as I'm concerned, the red stripe, to me represents the blood of hundreds of thousands of Americans who died on the field of battle.

Semper Fi

crate78
10-04-07, 06:03 PM
About twenty years ago, a cousin of mine (Bud) and I owned a sprint car together.

Bud once commented laughingly about the fact that when they played the National Anthem before a race, everyone in the pits within thirty feet or so of yours truly either took their cover off and stood still or got yelled at to do so.

crate

sparkie
10-04-07, 06:13 PM
My son and I have burned others flags. Did it for those neighbors who did not know how to dispose of. Respectfully, and in a ceremony of silence. The flag is something we need to pass on to next generations. I did my part, and I know my son will do the same.

yesyouam
10-04-07, 06:15 PM
I'd just like to chime in and say that it drives me nuts that so many people fly the US flag in tatters. Everyone went out and bought one five years ago when it became the thing to do and so now I have to look at a bunch of ratty-ass five-year-old flags. Square that crap away!

Ironrider
10-04-07, 07:34 PM
That reminds me...I need to get a new one for the little old guy at the end of the street. He's pretty much crippled and house bound, and his is starting look pretty ratty. But atleast he still flies it.... :marine:

sparkie
10-04-07, 08:22 PM
Ironrider,, you need some change,,, I'm there, Bro. Keep It Flyin.

Scottyva
10-05-07, 01:47 AM
Has anyone ever heard the song "Ragged Old Flag" by the Late Johhny Cash? Talk about being poignant and timely right now. The National Colors should be respected not disdained

RVHall
10-09-07, 07:52 AM
To me, our flag stands for the Constitution that we swore to defend. It stands for the Constitution that we were willing to sacrifice our lives for. The flag stands for the Constitution that politicians in Washington swore to defend, but who will sell it down the toilet if that's what it takes to preserve their personal wealth and careers.

That's why we need more than 20% in Congress who are military veterans. We need men and women in Washington who will sacrifice personally to defend the Constitution.

Dave Coup
10-09-07, 09:16 AM
Maybe I'm a little wierd but--I went to a graduation at MCRD SD a year or so ago. We arrived early in the morning so we could walk around and see how things had changed. Aside from the graduation, getting to stand at attention for Morning Colors was the best part of my day. God Bless America!