PDA

View Full Version : Marine's deployment makes love 'even stronger'

thedrifter
10-04-07, 08:13 AM
Marine's deployment makes love 'even stronger'

October 4, 2007
The Herald News

Welcome home to U.S. Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Michael Haak of New Lenox, who returned home Sept. 21 after serving an eight-month deployment to Djibouti, Africa.

He is a reservist who has served 3½ years of his six-year contract. This was his first deployment. Michael's primary mission while there was to deter, detect, defend and mitigate terrorism activity in the Horn of Africa. Michael is assigned to the 6th Provisional Security Company (PSC, 2nd platoon, 4th Section) out of Naval Station Great Lakes in North Chicago.

"As every American watched the events of Sept. 11 unfold on live TV, we all asked ourselves the same question: What can I do for our country in our time of need? I felt this was the time for me to step up and do what I felt was best for me and my country," Michael said. "I was raised by my parents to believe in the very fundamentals of what this country stands for: life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The Marines have been the finest for over 230 years. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. All we ask is for the love and support of our fellow country men and women.

"A memorable moment for me is standing in the final formation on the parade deck during the graduation from the Marine Corps Recruit Depot and seeing my family, knowing that when the senior drill instructor, Gunnery Sgt. Hicks, dismissed us for the final time I would soon be in the arms of my love, Erin," Michael said.

Michael's wife supports his love of country.

"I am extremely proud to say that my husband is a member of the United States Marine Corps," Erin said during Michael's deployment. "My husband is the type of guy who would do anything for anyone. The military was his calling. He loves serving this great country we live in."

But being separated isn't easy.

"I always knew that at any time my husband could be deployed. You can never fully prepare yourself for a deployment, but you do the best that you can. Thankfully, I have great support from my family and friends to get me through this deployment. Being away from your husband for so long is a hard thing to handle, but I believe that this deployment will only make our love for one another grow even stronger," she said.

Michael isn't alone in earning Erin's respect.

"It's the men and women in the armed forces that we need to thank for all the freedoms that we enjoy each and every day. Too often enough, our military members are not thanked for all that they do, and that is a sad display of being a true American," Erin said. "Mike has sacrificed being away from his family and friends to help fight for this country. In my mind, that is the true spirit of an American hero."
A dedicated family
Michael has family that have served in the armed forces. His wife's father, Bill McIlvoy, of New Lenox, who served in the Army during Vietnam; his stepfather Paul Morgan, of Shorewood, served in the Marines during Vietnam; and Michael's grandfather, Tom Kavanagh, served in the Navy.

Michael plans to return to work at Comcast cable service.
Other military news
• Army National Guard Pvts. Roberto E. Archilla and Rey G. Archilla, sons of Annette Alarcon of Romeoville, graduated from basic combat training at Fort Sill in Lawton, Okla.

Know a current or retired soldiers who would like to talk about his or her experiences while in the U.S. armed forces? Contact Jean Edwards, staff writer, at (815) 729-6049 or jedwards@scn1.com

Ellie