PDA

View Full Version : Royal Marine lifts truck to save friend

thedrifter
10-03-07, 06:25 PM
Marine lifts truck to save friend
Wednesday, October 3, 2007

A Royal Marine has told how he lifted a two-tonne truck with his hands, while under heavy fire, to save a drowning friend.

Colour Sgt Carl 'Tatts'Tatton heaved the lorry into the air to free the leg of stricken colleague Mark Farr.

The two Marines were in the Sangin Valley in southern Afghanistan when the Taliban attacked their position.

Marine Farr was working in a waterfilled ditch when a mortar bomb exploded nearby – flipping their vehicle through the air.

The truck landed on his leg, trapping him in the ditch as more shells rained in.

Sgt Tatton, a 38-year-old physical training instructor, said his friend screamed and then went quiet.

He added: 'He was pinned down, about three feet under water.

'I jumped in and tried to lift his head up but realised I'd have to lift up the truck. I grabbed the roll bar and lifted the suspension enough to release him.

'A few lads ran over thinking he was seriously injured because they heard all this screaming. It turned out it was me making all the noise trying to lift the thing.

'When you see one of your mates in danger you just react. It all happened so quickly.'

Marine Farr, 29, said: 'Without Tatts I'd have drowned. I owe him my life.'

At the time of the incident in November last year, Sgt Tatton was serving with J Company, 42 Commando.

He is now back in Britain, based at Stonehouse Barracks in Plymouth with 3 Commando Brigade.

His commanding officer, Lt Col Andy Price, said: 'Sgt Tatton gave no thoughts to his own safety. This is typical of the man.

'He embodies the very highest standards of the Royal Marines.'

Ellie