PDA

View Full Version : Mom's mail route to begin with loving glance at plaque

thedrifter
10-03-07, 01:57 PM
Mom's mail route to begin with loving glance at plaque
Wednesday, October 03, 2007

ANDY HOAG

THE SAGINAW NEWS

VASSAR -- The post office here soon will bear the name of a fallen Marine.

The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill Monday to designate the post office, 203 N. Main, as the ''Corporal Christopher E. Esckelson Post Office Building.''

Rep. Dale E. Kildee, a Flint Democrat, introduced the legislation in May. It is awaiting Senate and executive approval, a formality in these cases, Kildee's staff said.

Esckelson, a Vassar native and squad leader of 12 Marines, died Dec. 28, two days shy of his 23rd birthday. He served with the 1st Battalion of the 24th Marines in Iraq.

His mother, Michelle M. Hill, contacted Kildee after the funeral. She's a mail carrier in Vassar for the U.S. Postal Service.

''Kildee attended the funeral and told us he would be willing to do what he could to help the family,'' said Hill, who called Kildee after reading a newspaper article about similar designations in other cities across the country.

The Vassar City Council approved a resolution to support the measure in March.

Hill, who has worked at the post office for 22 years, said she's happy the House passed the bill. Once the designation is official, the community will place a plaque with Esckelson's name and picture outside the lobby.

''It will mean so much to me. Every day when I walk out of the building for my route, I will see that plaque,'' said Hill, who added the rest of the family is ''really excited'' about the designation.

Esckelson's father, David Esckelson, said a direct hit his son's torso from enemy fire in an intense firefight killed him.

''From what I was told, six went down,'' David Esckelson said in December. ''My son was a squad leader and was trying to help his men -- he was trying to get a fellow Marine to safety when he was hit. He was pronounced dead within three minutes.''

For now, Hill said, the family is taking the grieving process ''day by day.''

''It's something you wake up with, the first thought of the day,'' she said.

Kildee's representative was unsure when the Senate will consider the bill. v

Andy Hoag is a staff writer for The Saginaw News. You may reach him at 776-9716.

Ellie