PDA

View Full Version : Adger Family Buries A Hero

thedrifter
10-03-07, 01:54 PM
Adger Family Buries A Hero

Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 - 11:40 AM

By NBC 13 Staff

Adger, Ala. -- Two local parents are preparing to say goodbye to their oldest son, and the community of Adger is bracing to bury a hero.

35-year-old Gunnery Sergeant Herman Jerome Murkerson jr. died October first after being shot while fighting in Iraq’s Al Anbar province.

Murkerson had wanted to be a US Marine since he was a teenager.

“Little Jerome" as his family calls him joined the marines immediately after high school.

He served in the corps for 17 years - 3 tours to Iraq. His family says Little Jerome's philosophy was "fight the enemy over there, to keep them from coming here."

Herman Jerome Murkerson Jr. wore many hats: highly decorated marine sergeant, husband, dad of three who loved going to father/daughter dances and coaching soccer.

This 1990 Oak Grove High School graduate is also the oldest of 6 kids.

Murkerson arrived in Iraq for his third tour a month ago. Besides his family and career,
Little jerome had one other true passion.

"He wanted some Alabama memorabilia to go in his room. He had his own room he was a gunnery sergeant," said Wendy Murkerson.

Murkerson's high school sweetheart and wife Wendy was preparing to mail him Crimson Tide sheets and a matching shower curtain when the family got the news.

Murkerson paid the ultimate price to defend the way of life and country he loved...a sacrifice his family says he doesn't regret.

There's no doubt Murkerson's 35 years touched countless lives around him.

Murkerson's body is scheduled to arrive at the Bessemer airport Friday evening. The military will be on hand to honor him with a special ceremony. Murkerson's family will then bury him in Adger.

Ellie

sgt tony
10-03-07, 05:38 PM
With deep sorry for the family by blood and also the Brother of ours. He is in peace now and he will be watching over the Tide forever

bootlace15
10-03-07, 09:14 PM
My flag is at half staff. It has been that way since President Bush said we are at war. It is flying that way because of past and present sacrifices of all American fighters. I pledge it will remain this way until this war is over. GOD BLESS OUR THE CORP.

bootlace15 out

Bruce59
10-03-07, 11:10 PM
To add to the list of fallen Marines. God I hate to keep adding names, but its the only way I know to honor them.

Bruce

http://wallofhonor.bravehost.com

LeonardLawrence
10-04-07, 12:46 AM
:cry:

yellowwing
10-04-07, 02:27 AM
Semper Fi Gunny Murkerson. Stand Tall St Pete, A Marine is Passing Through! :iwo:

Echo Five Hotel
10-09-07, 07:43 AM
I have known Gunny Murkerson and his family throughout the last 8 years. They were our first neighbors in housing at Laurel Bay in SC. They were the ones who led us to getting a house in their neighborhood when we got stationed at Camp Lejeune. I attended Gunny Murkerson's memorial on saturday and funeral on sunday. All of us who knew him are going to miss him very much.

The thing that keeps me smiling about him though is my last time I talked to him. We were playing Texas Hold 'Em and I had just sent him packing. he was sitting there, wearing his Dallas Cowboys jersey, just shaking his head fussing at me about how I was playing my hands all night long.

We're all gonna miss you,Gunny.