PDA

View Full Version : Local Marine WIA, but watches out for his brothers.

greybeard
03-31-03, 09:17 PM
From yesterday's San Angelo Texas newspaper. (my home town)

Marine Lance Cpl. Kyle Howard had written Greg Griffin saying, ''You're my best friend, and I'll be home in a little bit.''

Howard had been stationed in Iraq with the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit since the end of February doing special operations training, and no one thought he would be returning so soon.

An early morning phone call changed that.

Tom Green County Justice of the Peace Eddie Howard was in Austin on business when his wife, Margaret, woke him up shortly after 3 a.m. Friday.

''I knew something had happened to him, you know, when the phone rang that time of night,'' he said.

The details are still a little sketchy.

While on patrol, an Iraqi jumped in front of Kyle's vehicle with a rocket propelled grenade. Knowing an RPG makes a number of rotations before it's armed, Kyle raced toward the grenade knocking it away, possibly saving 20 lives. But the grenade exploded, breaking his arm and several fingers.

''It was either me react, Mom, and risk my life or all 20 would be killed,'' Kyle told his mother by telephone on Friday.

Eddie Howard isn't sure when Kyle will return home.

''We knew from the very beginning their unit was gonna be up front,'' he said. ''It's been pretty worrisome.''

Griffin - who grew up with Kyle, going to school together, playing sports - gives classmates at Abilene Christian University regular updates.

''I'm just proud of him,'' he said. ''I think he's tough.''

Framed pictures of Kyle with his parents sit on the kitchen table. A photo that ran in the Dallas Morning News that the Howards believe is Kyle offering water to an Iraqi is placed next to several cards. A yellow ribbon is tied around a large tree. American flags adorn their yard.

The Howards and Griffin sat in front of a large-screen TV Friday watching CNN updates on the war. The phone rang and rang again shortly after being hung up by friends and family.

Nelda Griffin, a neighbor and friend, said the war was bound to touch her personally.

''It scared us to death,'' she said of hearing the news. ''The boys have a lot of friends in the military right now so I figured I'd know one of them.''

The way Howard sees it, his son is a hero.

''He went. He fought. He's coming home,'' Howard said.

Mom sees it this way: ''God answers prayers.''

Contact Nicole C. Brambila at nbrambila@gosanangelo.com or 659-8265.