PDA

View Full Version : Bayshore grad proud to be Marine, dad

thedrifter
10-01-07, 07:12 AM
Posted on Sun, Sep. 30, 2007
Bayshore grad proud to be Marine, dad
By VIN MANNIX
vmannix@bradenton.com

It is near dawn on the Persian Gulf and Nicholas Affolter pauses at the beauty of another sunrise at sea.

On an active warship like the USS Enterprise, the 28-year-old Marine staff sergeant welcomes such tranquility.

The 1997 Bayshore High School grad thinks about the family he misses back in Bradenton. Especially Alliyah, his 6-year-old daughter, and his mother, Gail Gustomski, who cares for her while dad is on a six-month tour of duty.

"The sunrises and sunsets out here are some of the most beautiful you will ever see," Affolter said. "Those short moments are what keep things real for me. It seems like the ship never has anything going on during them."

How swiftly and dramatically it changes.

The peaceful mood is shattered by the voice of the "Air Boss" booming over the ship loudspeakers, and the shriek of supersonic warplanes being jockeyed onto catapults by Marines and sailors as the nuclear aircraft carrier commences flight operations.

It is exhilarating and hazardous duty, 12-to-14 hours a day, seven days a week, but it is Affolter's world.

"On the deck of a carrier is one of the most dangerous jobs on the planet," he said, in an interview arranged by the Marines. "Imagine you have three or four aircraft all around you, spinning their exhaust towards you at the same time. That will give 'going flying' a whole new meaning."

Affolter, who rebuilt car motors in his backyard as a teenager and street-raced in Whitfield and Oneco, thrives on it.

The 10th-year Marine is the power plant mechanic for the F/A-18 Hornet strike fighter jet with Marine Attack Squadron 251. He supervises a crew of 32 Marines who work on everything from flight operations to engine removal, repair and installation, fuel system maintenance and all daily turnaround inspections.

"A lot of us clown around in the shop (below decks), but the moment we hit the flight deck our game face is on," said Affolter, who previously did a six-month tour aboard the carrier USS Harry Truman. "The biggest realization of what we do comes when we hear from our friends and what they are doing, sitting in some cubicle somewhere miserable. We're now having the most exciting times of are lives while having the responsibility of multi-million dollar aircraft in our hands, all the while visiting more countries than I can count on my fingers."

Joe Link, who works on computers for a Bradenton payroll company would trade places in a minute. He did four years in the Marines, but never left North Carolina.

"He's doing things I never got to do," Affolter's 29-year-old cousin said. "What he's learned, how well he's doing, gaining rank, experiencing different cultures. I'm envious, yeah."

Brian Affolter, another cousin, isn't envious, but he's proud. Concerned, too.

"It scares me, and not being able to talk to him is nerve-wracking, making sure he's safe," the 31-year-old Sarasota mailman said. "What he's doing, it's definitely different compared to what I do."

What Nicholas Affolter does can mean the difference between life or death.

He is the plane captain, ultimately responsible for the overall safety of the warplane for its pilot and crew whatever the mission - aerial reconnaissance, air interdiction or close air support for coalition troops in Iraq.

When they launch, a part of Affolter goes with them.

"The connection for me while they are flying is knowing I gave that pilot the best aircraft possible capable of flying long distances and completing their mission," he said. "For me it's more about the guy on the ground over there who could be under heavy fire and needs to call in air support. There is no greater satisfaction for a pilot or maintainer when he comes back with an aircraft that did everything right and saved Marines and soldiers lives on the ground."

There are other people Affolter has in his heart when those warplanes complete their missions.

Namely, his daughter and his mother.

"Being out here and thinking about them being home gives me the realization that what I'm doing has purpose," he said. "I love my daughter and my family very much and I miss them terribly. I want my family safe, and I will do everything in my power to keep them that way."

A single father, Affolter exchanges e-mails with them regularly, keeping up with Alliyah, her schoolwork and behavior at home.

"When I tell her to be good for grandma and to try very hard in school she does," he said. "Thankfully she has a very good spirit and tries to please me."

Back home in Bradenton, Alliyah hugs her father's framed Marine portrait.

"I'm proud of my daddy," the 6-year-old said. "I tell him I love him every day."

So does Affolter's mom.

There's nothing she looks forward to more than his e-mails.

"I get a little nervous when I don't get one, because you never know . . ." Gail Gustomski said. "Motherly concern? Oh, sure."

Affolter understands and spoke reassuringly about his safety, even aboard a warship.

"Before I was a pretty wild child. I don't think I went anywhere at less than 100 mph and I would take anyone on at the drop of a dime," he said, crediting Bayshore's JROTC with starting him on the right path to the Marines. "The big difference is my maturity and responsibility. Now I'm more inclined to take my time, get there safe, evaluate the situation and realize I have people counting on me."

Although there isn't much downtime aboard the Enterprise, Affolter gets the most out of it.

Once he goes off duty, he hits the gym, maybe does some martial arts training, then showers and hits the sack for six hours.

And when it's Sunday and the NFL is on the ship's military network?

"It's usually watching bits and pieces in between launch and recovery of aircraft," Affolter said. "If there's a Bucs game on, they pretty much have to peel me out of the shop."

His tour of duty will be up in time for a visit home at Christmas.

While Affolter is already looking forward to it, he's thinking beyond.

"A lot of my family will probably cringe reading this, but, yes, I will most likely stay in," he said. "I'm good at being a Marine. It's a part of me. Not to mention, with today's economy it's probably the most secure job I could have. I have a lot of family and friends with good jobs and are still struggling. I will admit the first few years were a struggle for me in the Corps, but now that I am a staff sergeant, life isn't bad at all."

Vin Mannix local columnist, can be reached at 745-7055 or write him at the Bradenton Herald, Box 921, Bradenton, Fla. 34206.

Ellie