PDA

View Full Version : Father & Son Deploy In Same National Guard Unit

thedrifter
10-01-07, 06:19 AM
Father & Son Deploy In Same National Guard Unit

Jessica Kartalija
Reporting

(WJZ) ELKRIDGE, Md. A Howard County man is preparing to head overseas to Iraq in a few weeks, and he's taking along something very dear to his heart.

They're the picture of patriotism. Now, Jessica Kartalija reports an Elkridge father and son are being deployed to Iraq in the same Maryland National Guard unit.

"It's like a roll of the dice, you just never know. This was highly not anticipated," said Sergeant Kim Dixon.

In about eight weeks, Sergeant Dixon and his son Sergeant First Class Kassey Dixon will head overseas.

"I signed the contract, I'm ready to go, I'm tired of waiting. My brother's been once, and I haven't went yet, and he's younger than me, so I need to go. Ha ha ha," said Sfc. Kassey Dixon.

The Dixon duo won't always be together, but they will be close.

Another family member, Christopher Dixon, deploys with the marines just a few weeks before.

"It's exciting, but yet not because I know they are in danger when they go over there--the three of them," said military wife and mom Margaret Dixon.

Sergeant Dixon has served overseas before, but it's the first time he's had family by his side.

"It's comforting to have a piece of your family with you. You're not totally alone," said Sergeant Dixon.

In a family that has learned the importance of serving their country, even their dog has military ties.

Max won't be going overseas. He is the Sergeant Major of the Elkridge young Marines; the English Bulldog is also the mascot for the U.S. marines.

"It's amazing, I mean, not everyday you have two of your brothers and your Dad also going over, it's ah, upsetting, but different and like kinda cool," said Sgt. Dixon's daughter Danielle Dixon.

The Dixons will be in Iraq for about a year.

Ellie