PDA

View Full Version : Marine from Milford says 'progress is very tangible' in Iraq

thedrifter
10-01-07, 06:12 AM
10/01/2007
Marine from Milford says 'progress is very tangible' in Iraq
Pamela McLoughlin , Register Staff

When U.S. Marine Sgt. Justin Parker, now 24, returned from his first tour of Iraq in 2003, he craved a hot shower and some "real" food like pizza, lobster, steamers and a corned beef reuben.

And just like the other troops, Parker never knew while he was there when he’d be able to call home to Milford; his mother and others worried sick would try to catch a glimpse of him on Internet pictures sites where photographs of war were shared.

Now on his third tour, Parker said from the base in Iraq this week that conditions for the troops are much better.

There are showers instead of baby wipe baths, trailers with air conditioning instead of tents, all kinds of great food instead of military rations and communication centers where soldiers can phone or e-mail just about anytime.

"The morale of the troops is pretty good," he said.

Parker is working in motor transportation this time around, meaning he’s involved with driving supply trucks carrying food, water and ammunition from base to base.

A third tour is not so rare in this war, but seems an unlikely path for a soldier who enlisted on a whim — asking himself, "Why not?" when a buddy signed up and wanted to know if Parker was interested.

During his first tour, Parker served with the 1st Battallion, 11th Marines, 1st Marine Division supplying artillery fire for troops. He actually stayed until October 2003 when most of his comrades returned earlier in July because he was lacking seniority and they needed help with reconstruction. He arrived home to Milford with a motorcade and party arranged by his family.

Parker went to Iraq again and came home, moving to West Haven and getting a construction job, although he remained on non-active status as a reservist. He was home for 10 months when a prior service recruiter called looking for volunteers.

Against the wishes of his family and girlfriend, Parker, working a construction job, jumped at the chance to go back; he figured he could save money, help the Iraqi people, the troops and on a more superficial note: "I like the the dress blue uniform," he said.

He’s now part of the 2nd supply battalion, 2nd marine logistics group, transportation support company. He left in May and expects to return sometime next year.

He said the fighting in Iraq has subsided since the first tour and the rebuilding is noticeable.

"On TV all you see is a death count, but there have been a lot of changes beneficial to the Iraqi people," including improved roads, more school supplies, better drainage and the Iraqi government more effectively providing services to people, Parker said.

He ultimately wants to be a business entrepreneur, but may even consider another round of military service.

"I’d love for the people of Iraq to have a better future," Parker said. "I take pride in the fact that I’ve been there and will be able to tell my kids someday."

First Lt. Philip Klay, who works with Parker, said that when he was home on leave, he realized there is a lot of confusion in the states about what’s going on in Iraq.

"The progress is very tangible," Klay said. "We’re seeing decreased violence, increased assistance from the Iraqi people. Your average Marine is seeing progress."

He said the Iraqi police are recruiting and the U.S, military is working with the Iraqi Army. As violence decreases there, the quality of life increases, Klay said.

Although Parker said he feels safer this time around, his grandmother, Claire Purington of Milford said the family isn’t any less worried — in fact, they feel he’s pushing his luck.

"It’s not good," she said.

Ellie