PDA

View Full Version : Brave young Resistance fighter who helped Cockleshells escape Gestapo

thedrifter
09-29-07, 07:47 AM
From The Times
September 29, 2007
Brave young Resistance fighter who helped Cockleshells escape Gestapo

Mark Souster and Alan Hamilton

Jean Mariuad, the French Resistance fighter who guided the two surviving Cockleshell Heroes to safety after one of the most daring commando raids of the Second World War, has spoken about the operation for the first time.

Mr Mariuad, 94, spoke about the events of 65 years ago to The Times.

In December 1942 ten Royal Marines paddled 70 miles up the Gironde River on Cockle Mark II collapsible canoes to plant limpet mines on German merchant ships preparing to carry war materials from Bordeaux to Japan.

They succeeded in sinking one ship, severely damaging four others and doing enough damage to greatly disrupt the harbour for months. Such was the significance of the raid that Winston Churchill later said that it helped to shorten the war by six months.

But the raid had tragic consequences. Two of the men drowned and six were captured. The only two who survived – Major “Blondie” Hasler, who went on to found the Special Boat Service, and Royal Marine Bill Sparks – owed their lives to Mr Mariuad. Both of the servicemen have since died.

After evading capture, Hasler and Sparks trekked 100 miles northwest to Ruffec, a key point on the Marie Claire escape route to Spain, where Mr Mariuad was a principal organiser.

Word reached him that two men – lost, tired, hungry and claiming to be British soldiers on the run – had stumbled into the Toque Blanche café and sought the help of its proprietors, Mr and Mrs Mandinaud.

“They were very fortunate,” said Mr Mariuad, dabbing a tear from his eye. “If they had gone into any other establishment they would have been betrayed and captured. I have the utmost respect for Mandinaud for what he did.”

Mr Mariuad himself was suspicious, fearing a German trap. He sought the help of his friend M Paillet, a retired professor of English. Together they went to see Hasler and Sparks, who were waiting in a room above the café. Paillet began asking questions to verify their identity. As soon as Sparks, an Eastender, opened his mouth, Paillet said: “He is a Cockney; no German could replicate that accent.”

The next day Mr Mariuad and his brother-in-law stowed the men in a bakery lorry and drove through heavy German patrols to a safe house, where Hasler and Sparks hid for 41 days before being smuggled across the Pyr-enees to the safety of neutral Spain.

Mr Mariuad plays down his role. “You had to be young and foolish; it was my conscience,” he said. “I knew I would be shot if caught. If I ever thought about the consequences of what I was doing I would have stopped. But I didn’t. I know I was very lucky. People were afraid. You did not know who was your friend or your enemy. However, I got to know who the collaborators were.”

Only months earlier he had been arrested by the Gestapo. Forewarned, he had time to burn incriminating papers; the oven was still warm when the Germans arrived at his home but despite their suspicions he was released after a day of questioning.

Two glowing commendations adorn a wall of his house. One, from Earl Mountbatten, who ordered the raid, reads: “I realised it would be certain death for the gallant men who took part, unless brave men and women of the resistance movement in France came to their rescue.” The other ex-presses the gratitude of the Royal Marines: “We in England appreciate your deed, which was in the highest traditions of the French Resistance.”

Mr Mariuad had been a member of the defeated French Army and was rescued from the Dunkirk beaches in 1940, landing in Kent. A couple in Ramsgate gave him shelter and “kept my glass always full with beer”.

He last met Hasler and Sparks at a reunion in 1961. Memories of the war and of friends who did not survive it are still fresh and raw. “I can remember them like yesterday,” he said.

Francois Boisnier, 75, a former French paratrooper, has been working on a history of the Marines. Searching in the National Archives at Kew this year, he uncovered evidence that two of the men captured were taken to a wood near Bordeaux where stakes had been driven into the ground and open coffins were waiting. Hitler had ordered that Allied troops captured on commando raids were to be annihilated “to the last man”. Mr Boisnier is still trying to find where they are buried. On November 1, a plaque will be unveiled at the Bois Plage cemetery to commemorate the two who drowned.

Twelve brave men

After months of training, 12 men were taken by the submarine HMS Tuna to Bordeaux, where they were to paddle five miles to the mouth of the Gironde, 70 miles up it, plant limpet mines on the ship in the harbour and then make their way to Spain Each canoe had a codename

Catfish Major Hasler and Marine Sparks. Made it to Bordeaux harbour, planted limpet mines and successfully escaped

Crayfish Corporal Laver and Marine Mills. Made it to Bordeaux harbour planted mines. Betrayed while escaping and executed in Paris on March 23, 1943

Cuttlefish Lieutenant Mackinnon and Marine Conway. Captured and executed in Paris on March 23, 1943

Coalfish Sergeant Wallace and Marine Ewart. Captured and executed near Bordeaux on December 12, 1942

Conger Corporal Sheard and Marine Moffat. Drowned

Cacholot Marines Fisher and Ellery. Had to abort mission when their canoe was damaged on the submarine. It is said that they were in tears at their disappointment

Source: Times database

Ellie

thedrifter
09-29-07, 07:50 AM
From The Times
September 29, 2007
Face emerges from the D-Day surf after 60 years in obscurity
James Bone in New York

After decades of obscurity, an American retiree is being fêted in New York as “The Face in the Surf” in Robert Capa’s iconic image of a soldier swimming ashore in the D-Day landing.

Huston “Hu” Riley, now 86, has been identified as the figure of grim determination captured by the celebrated war photographer as he crawled on to Omaha Beach on June 6, 1944, in the first wave of the invasion of Normandy. The blurred black-and-white picture inspired the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan, Steven Spielberg’s Second World War film.

Mr Riley, who still has a bullet lodged in his chest from wounds that he received during the landing, told The Times that Capa helped to pull him ashore. “I was surprised to see him there. I saw the press badge and I thought, ‘What the hell is he doing here?’ ” he said. “He helped me out of the water and then he took off down the beach for some more photos.”

The Hungarian-born Capa, the most famous war photographer of the 20th century and a founder of the Magnum photo agency, had landed on the Easy Red section of Omaha Beach with E Company at about 6.30am.

“From the air, ‘Easy Red’ must have looked like an open tin of sardines,” he later wrote. “Shooting from the sardine’s angle, the foreground of my pictures was filled with wet boots and green faces. Above the boots and faces, my picture frames were filled with shrapnel smoke; burnt tanks and sinking barges formed my background.” Soon afterwards, Mr Riley, a private in F Company, 2nd Battalion, 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division, jumped out of his landing craft about 50 yards offshore.

“When I came out of the boat I just dropped. I could look up at the surface and I could see the bullets coming into the water,” he recalled. “I went down about 14ft. I hit the bottom and pulled my life vest and came up. I noticed the main confusion was mainly to the right. I swam to the left. I took off the life vest to keep a low profile in the water. I could feel a lot of bodies. A lot of them — even some I recognised.”

As Mr Riley ran through shallow water, a burst of machinegun fire ripped into his right shoulder. Two of the four bullets exited but two lodged in his flesh. Mr Riley said that Capa “was right beside me when I got hit” but he thinks the photographer did not realise that he had been shot.

Capa shot 108 pictures in the first couple of hours of Operation Overlord. Unfortunately, a darkroom assistant at Life magazine set the drying oven temperature too high and melted the emulsion in the negatives, so that only eight blurred frames survived.

Mr Riley was evacuated back to Britain. He returned to the front line after a month in hospital and was wounded again in fighting at Aachen.

Mr Riley’s mother spotted him when Life magazine published the eight surviving Capa photographs in its issue of June 19, 1944, with a caption describing them as “slightly out of focus” — a phrase that Capa used as the title for his autobiographical account of the war. “My mother knew who it was. Mothers are that way,” Mr Riley said. “Nothing was ever said about it. We just went on our way.”

On the 40th anniversary of D-Day, Life published an interview with a former soldier named Edward Regan claiming to be the man in the photograph. But research by Lowell Getz, a former University of Illinois professor, showed that Mr Regan came ashore two miles from Capa and concluded that it was Mr Riley in the image.

Mr Riley, now retired from his career representing manufacturers of outdoors gear, was a guest of honour at the opening of a show of Capa’s work at the International Centre of Photography in New York this week.

Looking at the blown-up image on a museum wall, he said: “It brings back memories of a lot of guys I knew and all the noise and all the crap I went through. My wife and I went back for the 60th anniversary. I went back through the grave registry. There were just a hell of a lot of guys gone.”

Capa died in 1954 after stepping on a landmine while covering the First Indochina War in Vietnam for Life.

Caught on film

— Alfred Eisenstadt took no notes with his picture of a sailor kissing a young nurse on VJ Day, and it was not until the 1980s that Edith Shain identified herself. Carl Muscarello, retired New York policeman, was chosen from many claiming to be the sailor to recreate the picture in 2005

— Joe Rosenthal’s photograph of the raising of the US flag on Iwo Jima became an American icon and won a Pulitzer Prize. Three of the servicemen pictured died in the battle. The others were withdrawn from the front line to promote sales of war bonds

— Eddie Adams’s 1968 photograph of South Vietnam’s police chief, Nguyen Ngoc Loan, holding a gun to the head of a suspected Vietcong guerrilla came to symbolise the violence of the Vietnam War. Loan later emigrated to the US and ran a pizza parlour

Sources: www.defenselink.mil; www.iwojima.com; www.buddhistinformation.com; www.digitaljournalist.org; Times archives

Ellie