PDA

View Full Version : PEORIA: Injured Marine returns home

thedrifter
09-28-07, 07:59 AM
PEORIA: Injured Marine returns home

BY ANDY KRAVETZ and FRANK RADOSEVICH II

of the Journal Star

PEORIA - A few weeks ago, Ron Shipp got a call from his son that he was OK but had been injured in a vehicle recovery accident in Iraq.

It wasn't the call he had hoped to get from his son, Jared, a Marine reservist with Company C, 6th Engineer Support Battalion. But on Thursday, he got the call that he wanted - his son was coming home that night.

So he and the rest of the family, some friends and some Marines gathered at the Greater Peoria Regional Airport to welcome the 22-year-old home after his 9:55 p.m. flight from Chicago's O'Hare Airport touched down.

"I'm ready to go home. I'm ready for a very, very long night sleep," Lance Cpl. Jared Shipp said after coming off the plane on crutches. "It's quite a surprise. I wasn't expecting the welcome that I got but it's nice. It's nice coming home."

Jared Shipp had been injured either late Sept. 10 or early Sept. 11. Through details remain sketchy, Jared Shipp said he got "caught" between a couple of trucks his unit was sent to recover. His military speciality is motor transport mechanic with the Peoria County-based reserve unit.

He suffered a fractured pelvis and a fractured pubic bone. Fortunately, there was no spinal cord injury, and none of his major organs or blood vessels were damaged.

Andy Kravetz can be reached at 686-3283 or akravetz@pjstar.com. Frank Radosevich II can be reached at 686-3142 or fradosevich@pjstar.com.

Ellie