PDA

View Full Version : Marines Tell It Like It Is

thedrifter
03-31-03, 07:25 AM
Marines Tell It Like It Is

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exclusive commentary by Thomas D. Segel

Mar 30, 2003

American Marines are all part of a close knit family. The truth of that statement can be seen in the words of this letter:

“I have seen protesters in our small town and I was shocked to discover they live near me. I had to stop and tell them the other side of things. They were afraid for themselves and I find that cowardly and cruel, if that is all they think about.

“I was told they were doing it to keep my son safe. I told them the signs they carried would not stop a bullet or biological weapons and would not stop terrorism in the United States. Those signs ripped the heart out of a mother of a Marine.” With those words Dianne Weller provides a graphic picture of how anti war or “Hate America” protests impact service personnel and their families.

“These signs against the war are felt personally by parents and families”, she continues. “Their sons and daughters are risking their lives. The families are scared. If nothing else, what happened to good manners, if not compassion for the families that are separated from those they love? I find it hard to take these protesters who divide our country and degrade our patriotism.” And that is from a Marine Mom.

As objectives are taken and as casualties mount, the American public has become very aware of the fact our Marines are involved in some of the most ferocious combat in Iraq.

At the same time we have our streets filled with “Hate America” protesters and are being bombarded with vitriolic shrieks from the ulta liberal Hollywood left. These actions, though admittedly protected and fought for by these same Marines, tend to enrage supporters of the Corps, both at home and abroad.

Though all members of the American armed forces have the majority of their countrymen’s, love, respect and heart felt support…there is no greater family bond then that felt by every Marine for any and all who have worn the Eagle, Globe and Anchor of the Corps. The saying “Once a Marine, Always a Marine”, is far more than a motto printed on posters and coffee mugs. It is a statement of unvarnished truth. That can be seen in the dozens upon dozens of email messages this retired Leatherneck has received from Marines around the world.

“I just want you to know”, says Mark Tresp of California, “that I watch all these protesters and my stomach turns. I get so worked up and I just can’t understand these people.”

This former Marine who landed in Beirut, Lebanon in November of 1983 concludes with, “In my heart and deep in the heart of every veteran there is a swell of pride whenever we see our troops. We know that all will be okay because even today we have men and women who will carry on!”

Reed Bolick is a retired Marine colonel who lives in Fairfax, Virginia. The Vietnam War veteran…” has no respect or patience when it comes to celebrity protesters, or for anyone who makes their living in such an artificial world as the entertainment business and who tries to become a political spokesperson. The only variance that I would have to that position is if a celebrity had served in the military honorably or had experienced some other form of connectivity with the basic fiber of this nation. We need more Jimmy Stewarts and Glen Fords."

Another colonel out of North Carolina echoes his sentiments. Kerry Randel says, “Why should I listen to, let alone believe anyone whose entire life revolves around a world of make believe or whose personality is reformulated each time a writer produces a new script? How do I lend credence to ideologies constructed in that atmosphere? My point is that a baccalaureate in drama, for those Hollywood types who have ascended beyond high school, allows one to speak with authority on play acting, not geopolitics, not economics and certainly not combat.”

Larry Adams is a Marine officer training a reserve company with the 23rd Marine Regiment in Bossier City, Louisiana. “We hear little protest in response to prior actions in Kosovo, Serbia, Haiti, or the bombing of aspirin factories in the Middle East. Yet we hear many who lauded the policies of the last administration raising a stink over the present conflict.

“We see demonstrations now, when the time has come to deal with the threat represented by this man Hussein, who flaunts his violations of the cease fire agreement of 1991, while brutally oppressing his own people. One must ask, what is the difference between eight years of ineffective commitments aboard, and this concerted coordinated campaign against those who threaten the continued existence of our Republic? Why protest now? Why the inconsistency? I think we can all guess the answer to these questions”.

Joy Holderness is another Marine mother who resides in Bangor, Pennsylvania. “He signed up last summer because he knew there would be a war and he felt he could help. He is not someone who wanted to kill anything. Just someone who wants to do something that he feels is of value – defending American freedoms. There has been public discussion of the objectives of this war and an open debate on the issue – and that is fabulous. That is democracy. That is the freedom my son wants to protect. Now the time has come for everyone to come together and support the decission this country has already made.”

Ron Maxson is a retired First Sergeant. He says, “We are doing the right thing for the right reason. We have a president who has the moral courage to do exactly that and is doing it in the best interests of our nation. As for the protesters, many haven’t been around long enough to know reality…and these Stars live in a fantasy world. Sadly, some of the sorriest Americans are those Democrats who have downright hate in their eyes and voices only because they are not the ones in power.”

Major Norm Hatch spent a career in as a citizen Marine in the reserves. He writes from Alexandria, Virginia that his concerns are that in an age of communications science, the Marines and other warriors in this fight would have been served much better if our government hadn’t done such a poor job of making its case to the Arab world. “For instance, the administration did not make it perfectly clear, through all the avenues of communication, that we are not attacking the Muslim religion.
That should have been the last item mentioned and emphasized in the president’s televised talk, when he gave Sadism and family 48 hours to get out of town”.

Marine Lieutenant Colonel W. P. Haight is another retired Texan. He reminds us that many wars have been fought which defend the right of people to protest. But, he also poses an interesting question. “Many, like sheep, have very little brain and are fundamentally uninformed, and blindly follow the knee-jerk reactions of the ultra-liberals. One must wonder how they would feel if they every learned exactly who it is that is providing the funding for the very expensive, well orchestrated mass protests.

He concludes his remarks with these meaningful words about our anti war protesters…”While I am not surprised, I find the lack of basic loyalty to their country and their president to be most disquieting…I believe ‘Duty, Honor, Country applies to ALL Americans.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas D. Segel, a retired Marine journalist, served 26 years in a variety of assignments, including the war in Korea and two tours of duty in Vietnam. He is a twice-wounded former combat correspondent who holds eight personal decorations for valor and meritorious service. Winner of the Thomas Jefferson Award for journalistic excellence, he is also author of several books, including “Men in Space”, which was placed on both the national high school and junior high school library lists. He is a past National President of the United States Marine Corps Combat Correspondents Association. Readers may contact Segel at feedback@washingtondispatch.com.

Sempers,

Roger