PDA

View Full Version : WWII vet gets diploma after 64 years

thedrifter
09-27-07, 04:14 AM
WWII vet gets diploma after 64 years

Roseville man entered Navy from 11th grade.
By Christy Strawser
Macomb Daily Staff Writer

Jerry Wilkins had the unlucky draw of a December birthday, so he was still in 11th grade when he turned 18 years old. And that's when newly minted adults were eligible for the World War II draft.

Uncle Sam called up Wilkins two weeks after Detroit Catholic Central High School let out for the summer in 1943. Wilkins had a year left in high school, but without complaint he put on a Navy uniform, boarded a ship and headed for dangerous waters.

Catholic Central plans to honor his sacrifice 64 years later by giving Wilkins a diploma at an alumni rally Friday. His diploma will be backdated to 1944.

"It means a lot to me," said Wilkins, now of Roseville, "it sure does.

"Like I told a couple of people, it's like a guy and a gal going together and Ma says 'Why don't you get married?' Some could say it's only a piece of paper. But to me, a diploma is not just a piece of a paper. It makes me part of the school."

Wilkins, now 82, served in the Navy until 1946, when he returned to Michigan and picked up the American Dream where he left off. He got a job, married a pretty girl and started a family that would grow to four children.

He was content, but always in the background, he knew he lacked a high school diploma.

"It always bothered him," said Orrin Tibbits, alumni director at Catholic Central. "His wife was there, and she started crying on the phone when she got the news. It's a very big deal to the family."

The family started the diploma process through Tibbits, who wrote a letter to the principal of the high school, who agreed to give Wilkins a diploma.

Wilkins' ceremony coincides with homecoming at Detroit Catholic Central. About 1,000 students, alumni and guests are expected to gather at the campus, now in Novi.

"I almost feel like the prodigal son returned, only I didn't go bankrupt," Wilkins said.

The school will have a jet flyover that morning piloted by a Class of 1990 graduate who's a major in the Marines to celebrate the contribution alumni like Wilkins made to freedom.

Wilkins will be there with his wife, Ann, 80, to whom he will be married 60 years in January.

Now, he enjoys spending time with his children, seven grandchildren and one great-grandchild. He's a chaplain for Roseville VFW Post 2358, and travels with other members to the National Great Lakes Cemetery in Holly to help send off fellow veterans with a 21-gun salute.

Wilkins said he plans to present Catholic Central with an American flag in honor of fellow veterans.

Ellie