PDA

View Full Version : Families can opt-out of military recruitment

thedrifter
09-27-07, 04:11 AM
Families can opt-out of military recruitment
By Gina Mangieri
The Hawaii Department of Education is helping families who don't want military recruiters to contact their kids.

Any public secondary school receiving federal funds has to give all student names, addresses and phone numbers to armed forces recruiters. Opting out of the list has been made easier by a new D.O.E. form.

Many students are still deciding what they want be after high school.

"Do I want to go to college? You can go to college," Army recruiter Maj. Macpin Julaton says. "Do I want to join the Army? Well, what do I need to know?"

Most students hear that answer from armed forces recruiters before graduation. Federal law requires public schools to give their student contacts to the military.

"I can see it both ways, right? Opportunities to represent your country or you losing your son in war," said Roosevelt High School counselor Terry Malterre.

A new "opt out" form was given to all parents this school year -- a move educators say helps formalize what was a little known no-call option.

Recruiters say they don't think it will hamper their efforts.

"We're not relying on it," Julaton says of the school lists. "It's not something that, well, we can't do anything unless we get it. It's not that. There are kids out there that actually seek out recruiters."

And many recruiters that seek the same kids.

"Remember, there's more than just the Army," Julaton said, explaining why families may receive multiple recruiting calls. "There's the Air Force, Marines and Navy that may be calling that same person again."

Educators say students find the upside -- the adventure, the money for college -- enticing.

"It's very exciting, it's intriguing," Malterre says of her students' reactions to the recruiting pitches.

Recruiters say they're upfront about the risks that come with the benefits, though.

"When they do volunteer they need to understand that they will deploy," Julaton said. "It's not a matter of 'if,' it's a matter of 'when.' "

The opt-out-form move by the D.O.E. is not meant to signal opposition to the military. Many schools offer pathways into a military career, like Junior ROTC class.

As for families that remain on the contact list -- "They have the invitation, the information to decide whether the army is for them," Julaton said.

The forms were given to all parents at the beginning of the school year and students can also fill them out. The D.O.E. won't turn over the lists to the military until Nov. 1 this year to give families time to decide. Recruiters say they only ask for junior and senior names, though the law covers all secondary school ages.

Story Updated: Sep 26, 2007 at 7:23 PM HDT

Ellie