PDA

View Full Version : B. Bow students to serve, yes, sir

thedrifter
09-25-07, 03:00 PM
09/25/2007
B. Bow students to serve, yes, sir
By KRIS WILLIAMS , Hub Regional Correspondent

BROKEN BOW — Technically they’re still kids, but four Broken Bow High School seniors have proven they are ready to take on adult responsibilities.

Classmates Pvt. Ethan Koinzan, 18, Pvt. Ellen Ross, Pvt. Matt Buhlmann and Pvt. Logan Klinkman, all 17, spent the summer at National Guard boot camp.

Of Broken Bow High School’s 64-member Class of 2008, nearly 10 percent is enlisted in the military. In addition to these four National Guard members, one student enlisted in the Navy and one in the Marines.

Unless the Iraq War ends, they all expect to see overseas action in the fight against terrorism.

The teens left Broken Bow within a week after school ended in May. Koinzan and Buhlmann went to Fort Knox, Ky., Ross to Fort Jackson, S.C., and Klinkman to Fort Sill, Okla. They graduated from basic training on Aug. 10.

Ross said she’s always wanted to do something “big” that would help people. At the beginning of her junior year in high school, she decided that a “good way to help a lot of people and serve the country” was to join the military.

Besides wanting to help America, Klinkman joined for the benefits, which include a paycheck, a sign-on bonus and a tuition-free college education.

“I’m not excited about the dying part,” Klinkman said, smiling. He added that instead of just complaining about the situation in Iraq, through his service, he would be able to do something to make it better.

Koinzan has known since he was 8 years old that he wanted to join.

“I’ve always wanted to wear the uniform,” he said. Getting invited to participate at age 16 in a National Guard drill with a Broken Bow group reinforced that desire. “I appreciated the teamwork and how much they looked out for each other,” Koinzan said. “It was an amazing team effort.”

Buhlmann said he was “pretty nervous” when he first got to boot camp, but as a National Guardsman he has experienced the feeling of belonging to something bigger than himself. Working on helicopters is his specialty and eventually he hopes to be able to fly them.

“Instead of waiting around to get deployed, (National Guard members) actually get to help out here,” Buhlmann said, mentioning the example of providing aid during natural disasters. His father, Rick, is in Iraq now, also serving through the National Guard.

All four teens said that although their parents are concerned for their safety, they are supportive of their decisions.

“My parents don’t want to see me shipped to Iraq, but they support me,” Ross said. Koinzan said his parents are “pretty proud” of him.

Basic training was tough. It was hot and physically demanding. There were none of the comforts of home and really no freedoms to speak of, Ross said. There was no television and only limited phone calls to loved ones. Koinzan and Ross both said at first they wondered what they had gotten themselves into.

Koinzan said at first he asked himself, “Why did I do this?”

“Every little thing you did wrong” resulted in physical punishment, namely in the form of pushups, Ross said of the first two weeks. “It’s all a mind game and after you realize that, it’s so much easier,” she said.

Buhlmann said when he entered civilian life again and school started, it took a while for him to adjust from a military mind-set.

All four teens have enlisted for six years of active National Guard duty and two years reserve. Together they will attend drills once a month until graduation.

“The hardest part is over,” Ross said, adding that the thought of going to Iraq “scares me, but I hope to be prepared.”

Buhlmann recommends the National Guard to anyone who wants to help the country, yet maintain a civilian life and go to college. “Once you’re in, you definitely have a better appreciation for the soldiers,” he said.

He wants to have a lifetime career in the National Guard, yet fulfill his other career goal of becoming a pharmacist.

Ross said people without respect for authority should not join the military. “It makes it so much harder on everyone else.” She found a lot of immature people in her camp. “How are they gonna’ save my life if I need them to?” she said. Ross wants to become a high school science teacher.

Koinzan said joining the National Guard really brings out the leadership in a person. He recommends it to anyone who wants the discipline and to be a part of a team. He said for him, the military is a good step toward his goal of being a police officer.

Klinkman is unsure of his future plans, but he said the National Guard is a great opportunity that provides good motivation.

e-mail to:

amy.schweitzer@kearneyhub.com

Ellie