PDA

View Full Version : Lance Corporal underground rumor clarification... re: Jump Wings

Accord
09-22-07, 08:17 PM
I heard a rumor through the Lance Corporal underground that if you go to a certified civilian skydiving place and complete 6 jumps and inform the Marine Corps about it, they'll enter it into your SRB and you'll rate to wear jump wings.

Is this true or just another LCpl underground rumor with no merit whatsoever?

Isrowei
09-22-07, 08:24 PM
Not true. Civilian diving and military diving are two different animals completely.

Zulu 36
09-22-07, 08:28 PM
The good Lt. is very correct. I was a civilian skydiver while in the Marines and that is all I was as far as the Corps was concerned.

sparkie
09-22-07, 09:05 PM
Ps... cleanout your mailbox, Lt, Sorry for the interuption, Marines. On a note of reality,,, Who the He!! would jump out of a perfectly excellent airplane?... Beats me. [ last time I jumped was on my wedding nite,, and that was a crash ;>

MarineNCO
09-23-07, 10:52 AM
Civilian ...jump wings....that should have told you something right there. Very little that you did as a civilian before coming into the Corps will be recognized by the Corps for promotion or certification.

Dave Coup
09-23-07, 12:08 PM
With apologies to the cast of Jaws especially Capt. Quig or whatever his name was. " Airplane goes up in the air, I go up in the airplane. Airplane stays in the air, I jump outta the airplane...Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish Maidens, farewell and adieu you young ladies of Spain.:D

Marine84
09-23-07, 01:54 PM
I'm with you Sparkie - who WANTS to jump out of a perfectly good (working) airplane?

yellowwing
09-23-07, 01:57 PM
I heard a rumor through the Lance Corporal underground that if you go to a certified civilian skydiving place and complete 6 jumps and inform the Marine Corps about it, they'll enter it into your SRB and you'll rate to wear jump wings.

Is this true or just another LCpl underground rumor with no merit whatsoever?
Bum Scoop. Be sure to double check with some old salts the next time them Lance Gods chirp up. :D

Zulu 36
09-23-07, 02:01 PM
I'm with you Sparkie - who WANTS to jump out of a perfectly good (working) airplane?

Nothing wrong with parachuting. It's the same rush as in rappelling, just magnified.

sparkie
09-23-07, 07:03 PM
I'v rapelled outta a 47 before,, But Never let go of the rope,,,BIG difference.

Phantom Blooper
09-23-07, 07:44 PM
The other rumor that may float around if you happen to be stationed in a few exotic bases close to a tidal basin or sea....CLNC :beer: San Diego,Hawaii, Okinawa and all the other finer vacation paradises.

That is if you get civilian scuba certification (PADI ect.) that you would be able to wear the scuba award.............wrong answer. The underground and below will tell you yeah...but if you ask the above you'll just walk away with your blowfish wet.:beer:

:evilgrin:

sparkie
09-23-07, 07:52 PM
Had a good friend In San Diego, who loved being a pilot. One day he flat quit his job flying jumpers down at Brown Field. When I questioned him about it he just said "I bounced one" Worries me a little,,, Hurt him a lot. I know it's not that dangerous, Just bringing up a memory.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-24-07, 01:57 AM
I'm one of those bright lads who did, in fact, fall out of a perfectly good "aeroplane". Because, quite simply, there is no 'jumping' to be had! LOL.

Anyway...

No, the rumors are just that, total BS. The Corps ain't gonna give you a qualification badge unless you complete the military school. Ya gotta go to Benning to get those little lead sleds, laddie! :)

I do understand tho, that this is being offered as a re-enlistment incentive, so all is not lost.

yellowwing
09-24-07, 08:15 AM
I do understand tho, that this is being offered as a re-enlistment incentive, so all is not lost.
Jump out of an airplane and we'll let you re-enlist? Thats something only a Jarhead would go for! Sign me up. :marine:

sparkie
09-24-07, 08:23 AM
Shoot me,,Shoot me,,I'm a Marine!

davblay
09-24-07, 08:34 AM
Well I gotta hand it to Accord, at least he's learned to ask before he shoots his mouth that it is true because all of his Sgts at CLNC told him so! I guess my old thread "RUMORS" wasn't a total waste after all! :cry:

John that would be like getting the DEAD CARP badge because you got a ride on a theme park Submarine! How about the Combat Action Ribbon for riding the Base Bus? Hazard Duty Pay for visiting an Army Base! ;)

Way to go John----I am proud of you! You learned to ask, instead of telling, us what is true! Ahhh rumors! :marine:

Semper Fi John,

huey guns
09-25-07, 08:34 PM
We were able to get GAF wings, and wear them on our flight suits. You had to look real close to see that they were not A/C wings.

huey guns
09-25-07, 08:40 PM
Hey sparkie, I had fun kicking you grunts out of my bird, many times I thought about cutting that rope. Just kidding, you guys were already nuts.(too many hard landings)?

sparkie
09-25-07, 08:43 PM
Just hold her steady, Huey>