PDA

View Full Version : Been wondering, how has this Irag War effected you?

Sparrowhawk
03-30-03, 07:51 AM
There are those in the Corps, friends and family members that visit here that never tasted the pains of war, never experienced the enemy’s rage. Incoming, bullets, or mortar, rocket fire.

How has the war affected you?

Others among us were there, served during a time of conflict but time, and the circumstances of life prevented that experience from happening.

How has it affected you?

Then are those of us that tasted the pains of war.

How has it affected you?

Osotogary
03-30-03, 09:25 AM
Sparrowhawk,
People ask me all the time if I am a nervous wreck. I tell them, "No, I am not nervous but I am a wreck." When the embedded reporter to the 2/8 comes on the television my senses immediately perk up. There is, what I believe, an innate curiousity to see live loved ones on television. Everything, for the moment, seems okay, alright, until the report finishes. Life goes on but it is really not the same. Life has been altered. That is what having a loved one involved in this conflict does.
It is amazing to me how many elected officials no not have sons, daughters, loved ones in combat rolls. It is amazing to me how a white flag ambush takes place because there have been so many chronicled instances of this type of warfare. For the life of me I don't know how anybody ever thought that this was going to be a conventional war.
I dread viewing the daily military reports from Centcom (I still have visions of the staged follies in Vietnam) just as I dread looking at the casualty and fatality lists in the daily newspapers.
I pray every day for the safety and success of all coalition troops.
There is no finer a support group than the Marine Corps related support groups. Sometimes support comes from unexpected sources. I just received an Encouragement Card from a Lutheran Womans Misssionary Group in California and I am in South Florida and I am not , nor is my son, a Lutheran. God bless them.
Yes, Sparrowhawk, the war has affected me and it will for the rest of my life.
Gary

firstsgtmike
03-30-03, 10:06 AM
WOW!

Let me say it again. WOW!

I think your question will evoke more soul-searching than it generates immediate responses.

Some, will never be able to put their answer into words.

Some will ignore the question as being too painful.

Some don't understand themselves, or know themselves well enough to even consider the question.

For me? I choose to treat it as an abstraction.

Some may consider that position as a cop-out. I prefer to think of it as the third leg of the Serinity Prayer.

If I cannot fix it or change it, and must endure the consequences, then I will handle the consequences as they come.

I close the windows on my car when it rains.

auntie
03-30-03, 10:35 AM
No, I've never tasted the pains of war. I could never even if I tried, feel what those of you have felt that have felt those pains. I can't even say I've felt the same emotions as a parent that has a son or daugther in war.

What I can try to say is how I feel, as an aunt of a Marine who is now in Iraq. I cry with his mother (my sister) as she wonders if he's okay, if he's hungry and what he may be facing each day that goes by. I laugh with her as she reads a letter she has recieved and he tries his best to explain what it's like to wake up each morning like you've taken a "sand" bath. We smile through tears as we read more..."mom, dad don't you worry about me, I'll be fine...it's you I'm worried about".

Oh, how it hurts the heart to want so bad to put your arms around your loved one but they are so far out of reach. The last letter we received was written by him on March 5th so we wait each day, hoping and praying to hear from him.

I was woke up this morning with my phone ringing...it was only 5:30 am. With Justin being over there I feared the worse but when I answered it was his mother asking me to please video the beautiful spring snow we had recieved overnight because we all know how Justin loves the snow. I was outside walking amoung the woods which were blanketed with snow at 6:30am. I was talking to Justin as if he were hear with me as I recorded.

I could hear the birds singing, I could see squirrels playing. My mind was suddenly in Iraq, in the desert. How could I be amoung such peaceful, beautiful surroundings while someone I love so much is in the midst of such pain and suffering. Yes, I cried.

I came inside only to have my young son, who is 12 to wake up, rubbing his eyes and saying mom, "you won't believe what I dreamed last night".

He went on to tell me that in his dream Justin had came home....in his dream Justin was walking up our country road still in combat clothes but smiling as he approached our driveway.

It took everything in my being not to break down in front of my son. I long for that day to see Justin.....just as my son did but this time not to wake up and realize it was only a dream.

This is how we feel......each day......but God will see us through. We will continue to pray for Justin and all the others who are so bravely defending the Land we Love. This is the thought I've had on my mind lately.....after every storm there is always a rainbow.

We, the family of a wonderful Marine, whom we all love and miss so much will keep looking for the rainbow. May God Bless each of you.

bob0
03-30-03, 06:20 PM
I feel that we are once again getting into another political war. I do not like the fact that we are trying to be too nice. Let's turn the lights out in Baghdad and make the people of Iraq see what their leaders have gotten them into. The very thought of them killing prisoners of war brought a real ugly side out of me that I thought was long gone.

NEWB
03-30-03, 10:04 PM
:marine: When this war started, which happened to be my 57th Birthday, I was about as low as the sand a whale S***s on. No, not because of the age thing, but because a young man whom I have known since he was tiny is now in Iraq as a Marine. It hit me then, "This is what my family felt like when I was in Nam". As the days progressed I really started with the depression thing. Things I have pushed back into past kept coming up. I started to compare this war with the one which so many of us here were in. I would read some of the post here and that would help but until today nothing seemed to work.
Today, my wife and I attended a support rally at our town square. This is not a large town, kinda wide spot on I-10 (Pop. 4000). They had a group of 3rd grade children sing the Star Spangled Banner and some other songs. They read a list of name of all the sons and daughters in the military today. As I listened, I realized that the majority of the young people are either in the Marines or about to join. They had a former Marine who is a state trooper make a speech and some more songs. It was kinda rough when they played TAPS for those who have fallen so far. There were perhaps, 150 - 200 people there. As it ended and people were milling around and talking, shaking hands and hugging, I finally realized way down deep that what we did in Nam was worth it and I do not have to have these feelings of guilt anymore.
My wife and I are both veterans and we enjoy all the information this site provides not only to us but to all who wish to participate. I want to thank all of you guys and gals who send your words of wisdom, criticisms, jibes and jokes. Special thanks to bones, sparrowhawk, drifter. THANKS

felonysmom
03-30-03, 11:15 PM
I am a deputy sheriff in Los Angeles County, California. When the war was still in the planning stage, many of my partners who are Marine Reserves were called to active duty. When my closest partner was sent out to Kuwait, I went directly to the local Marine recruiter to sign up. My family has a rich history of Marine service (Dad, sister, brother, brother-in-law) and they were very encouraging to me. Sadly, I was turned down due to age....I'm 32.
So now I have this regret hanging over my head that I didn't go in years ago and I'm trying to regain my sense of accomplishment for my years as a deputy sheriff. I miss my partners, I think of them daily, they're in my thoughts and prayers constantly. I sent my closest partner off with a St. Michael's medallion and I wear an identical one - haven't taken it off since he left and I won't take it off.
I'd go in a heartbeat if they'd take me.

Barndog
03-31-03, 04:04 AM
This is a reiteration for most... new info for some. This is the way it happened.
Back in August '02, my Rheumatologist told me in 3-5 years I would be facing a spinal fusion and morphine pump from my Rheumatoid Arthritus (in my spine and throughout my body). Of course, being a Marine, I told the 'Navy Doc' (which he 'is') to "GFY" - nicely put......... take a hike. I had the I&I Staff of Marines here in town shave my head, got really drunk, and then began to operate on pure 0311 mentality again. Pure Marine Corps Grunt. F***in A.
In January, I began the Kineret Trial for RA - injecting a modifed human protein daily + a host of other medications (14 in total) to maybe (emphasis implied) modify my autoimmune system to quell this disease, and possibly stop further damage. It will never get better than the damage that has already occurred.

Regardless - I CALLED HQMC PERSONALLY...... knowing that I met 10 USC - the standard for enlistment of prior service personnel. I'm 45, but having served over 6 active, and almost 15 total counting reserve time, there was a shot. Within an hour I recieved 2 calls BACK, one from a Msgt, and one from a MGysgt in Quantico - who discussed with me in length and detail - the parameters of a possible reenlistment. I explained my medical conditions. They absolutely listened. I could be gone in 2 weeks time - only problem is, I would be confined to CONUS service. Minimum of 2 years as citizen Marine again (Reservist) attain Sgt, before I could do Active Duty once again. (looking at the retirement). I was Honored that the Marine Corps called me back even.

Tears run down my face everytime a Marine dies in combat. My Father was at the invasion of Inchon, Chosin, fought under the command of Chesty Puller, Asst Commandant Ray Davis - Legends of Marine Corps history. I left family members in SE Asia. Marines. I am Honored to have known some of the finest the Corps has ever produced. I drink beer with men of whom are in the pages of 'the Battle History of the Marines' - and my heart and soul pound with the glory of Marines past, present and future. 2 of my boot camp Brothers run the National Guard Aviation facility - where I served 9 years after the Corps. They are now about to be sucked into the war. One is the Aircraft Maintenance Officer, one is the Chief Enlisted Flight Engineer.
We must have got something right.

I have no regrets. I will put my ass on the line for my Brothers and Sisters of Marines anytime, anywhere - regardless of the consequences.

As I have seen written here......
The oath I took - HAS NO EXPIRATION DATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Fidelis, To the Corps

Tony 'Barndog' Barnhart
USMC 1978-1984
MI ARNG 1984-1992

To my Brothers: Platoon 2082 15 Sept- 13 Dec 1978 MCRD San Diego

CWO-3 Russell K. Wilcox
SFC Randy A. Foreback

I still want the right gunner seat, you ba$tards. Make the phone call.

Barndog