PDA

View Full Version : Can I reenlist?

Gung-Ho
09-20-07, 10:02 AM
Let's get the basics out of the way first. I was an 0311 from 1997 to 2001. I'm 28 years old now and want to reenlist and go for Recon. I'm definitely in shape for it. <br />
<br />
I have a few concerns...

Eddie Z
09-20-07, 11:26 AM
I think what is on your DD214 is what the prior service recruiters will be looking at as far as a reenlistment code. As far as going to recon, you will go through that process after you are back in and you talk to the Battalion Admin.
I'm still in, so I don't know if you get your SRB to take home or not. If you have it, look through it and see what was entered.

hrscowboy
09-20-07, 12:30 PM
Nope your too old for recon try the Army rangers they will take ya..

Gung-Ho
09-20-07, 02:18 PM
Thanks cowboy, you're no help at all. It's Marine Corps Recon or nothing for me. If I'm too old I'm too old. But would you care to elaborate about how you know this for sure?

3077India
09-20-07, 02:42 PM
Since you're only 28 you're still below the max enlistment age for the Marines. GO, RIGHT NOW, TO YOUR NEAREST USMC RECRUITING OFFICE!!!! Waste no more time, find if from them if you can go FORCE Recon. Wish I could tag along. :cry:

rvillac2
09-20-07, 04:29 PM
There's no more Force Recon, only MARSOC now.

I don't think a recruiter will have the answers you need. Essentially, you're asking to be let back in and then go for the Indoc. If you pass the indoc, you'll just start serving in a recon battalion. People on this site are telling us that you won't be sent to recon school until you've been deployed at least once. I'm guessing that you would only be able to screen for MARSOC once you've got the MOS and have put in more time at the battallion level as a reconman.

I wouldn't worry too much about your record. Recon isn't filled with a bunch of choir boys.

rvillac2
09-20-07, 04:33 PM
Sorry, didn't finish my thought.

Perhaps your best bet is to talk to a gunny at Recon.
Regardless, if you reenlist, you gotta accept that fact that you may spend your time as 0311 again if you don't pass the indoc.

Gung-Ho
09-20-07, 04:38 PM
Thank you SGT V. Failure is not an option however. There is absolutely no way in hell I'm not going to pass the indoc. Sure, lots of Marines have said that and still failed, but I wouldn't be going back in unless I was 100% sure of myself. As far as deployments, I've done two, six month, deployments on a westpac.

RLeon
09-20-07, 04:47 PM
It's Marine Corps Recon or nothing for me.
I like that.
You should have no problems re-enlisinting, you will have to go through a prior service recruitor...do a search, there's many threads on here on re-enlising after being out for a while with some good info.

rvillac2
09-20-07, 07:59 PM
Thank you SGT V. Failure is not an option however. There is absolutely no way in hell I'm not going to pass the indoc. Sure, lots of Marines have said that and still failed, but I wouldn't be going back in unless I was 100% sure of myself. As far as deployments, I've done two, six month, deployments on a westpac.

Good attitude. Go get them and let us know how you're doing.

CAS3
09-21-07, 06:35 AM
Go here:

http://https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page?_pageid=278,2533296&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL (https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page?_pageid=278,2533296&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL)

Also, Look online for the phone number of the prior service recruiter at the marsch Center Quantico Virginia.

CAS3
09-21-07, 06:35 AM
Go here:

http://https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page?_pageid=278,2533296&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL (https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page?_pageid=278,2533296&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL)

Also, Look online for the phone number of the prior service recruiter at the marsch Center Quantico Virginia.

hrscowboy
09-21-07, 01:15 PM
Yeah the answer to that is ifin i cant get back in then you cant either..

remy
09-22-07, 02:09 PM
i served with 3rd force, and 2nd. And all i can tell ya is this, all the recruiter can promise you is an opportunity to take the recon indoc at gieger. even then what will probably happen is you may or may not get the opportunity to go to a battalion level recon platoon. where alot of us bubbas came from. like 2nd recon battalion in french creek, camp lejuene.
that being said what i would do would be to get the recruiter to write a specific mos code for reconnasaince instead of the enlistment program it falls under(infantry) take the indoc at S.O.I. gieger. and then spend a year or so as recon marine in one of the battalions before you try to go force.
good luck, and semper fidelis.

Gung-Ho
09-22-07, 03:57 PM
Remy, thanks for the input. I figured I would start out at the battalion level and have to move my way up. I did hear something about that MOS code you're talking about. Would that basically make my route to the indoc faster by skipping the part where I'm assigned to the infantry and then try to find my way there?

I spent a small amount of time looking into Force, apparently it's gone? From what I understand it's been phased into MARSOC and not called Force Recon anymore. The Marine Corps is apparently doing away with its own elite special force unit and integrating it into SOCOM. Is that pretty accurate?

remy
09-23-07, 02:43 PM
you need an mos code of 0321, that is battalion recon. now keep in mind if you do not pass the indoc that they will recyle you into the basic infantry catagory. after recon shool you will spend 2-3 years as battalion recon and you must attain nco level (sgt preferrable) but i went as a corporal, in order to apply for force level schooling.

no force recon will never go away. what is going on is they are undergoing a restructuring process.( had lecture on the subject at last years force recon association shin - dig) they are bringing all the other special marine services under a single command. mostly due to the various forces deployed in hot lz's so they maintain better control of our units.