PDA

View Full Version : Thinking...

manda anne
09-17-07, 09:22 PM
Hi there!

I'm a junior in highschool this year, and literally every man in my family has been in the Corps. As a Junior there is alot of pressure lately to set your sights on a goal for the future. I was thinking about joining the marines as an officer after university, but I'm curious as to how a woman can find her place in such a masculine environment such as the Marines.

Like I said, I know the mans standpoint, but I've only met one FM in my life, and her husband was in the Corps too.

If i could get any help it would be greatly appriciated.

Semper Fi,

Manda

Marine84
09-17-07, 09:43 PM
HAHAHAHAHA! FM? I thought that was the other side of AM on the radio.................?

Marine84
09-17-07, 09:46 PM
but I'm curious as to how a woman can find her place in such a masculine environment such as the Marines.

:scared: Watch out for Phantom, Fist, Hrscowboy, Ed and Sparkie and "your place" will be fine. ;) :)

rvillac2
09-18-07, 12:09 AM
Coming from Alaska, you might melt in South Carolina. ; )
Hey, Kim, didn't you do a short tour in Alaska? ha ha ha

SlingerDun
09-18-07, 12:33 AM
Hi there!......I was thinking about joining the Marines as an officer after university.....If my little sister were apprehensive about her career choice i would say see keep thinking about it and see if it passes.

It's been my observation that most people who take the plunge WANT to be Marines. This is of great benefit when times get hard. Family tradition considered, if you dont feel the desire, its probably not the best choice.

--->Dave

Marine84
09-18-07, 08:07 AM
Hey, Kim, didn't you do a short tour in Alaska? ha ha ha

LOL! In nothing but Charlies even!

Camper51
09-18-07, 11:03 AM
Hi there!

I'm a junior in highschool this year, and literally every man in my family has been in the Corps. As a Junior there is alot of pressure lately to set your sights on a goal for the future. I was thinking about joining the marines as an officer after university, but I'm curious as to how a woman can find her place in such a masculine environment such as the Marines.

Like I said, I know the mans standpoint, but I've only met one FM in my life, and her husband was in the Corps too.

Semper Fi,

Manda

Why should you have to "FIND" your place amongst Marines? There are many, many opportunities for leaders in the Marines as a female. Get your degree in your chosen field and take it from there. Fields available are varied from Military Police to admin, to computers, Motor pool and many, many more.

You just take care of the educational part for yourself, then join the Marines and let the leadership part take it from there...

LeonardLawrence
10-05-07, 09:39 PM
I say plenty of opportunity and need, but it should be you first choice and not a fall back. If you aren't willing to go that far, it probably isn't the choice for you. Good luck and don't let the pressure get ya', no matter what you decide.

(I guess I should insert an old man thing in here and say these are the best times of your life or someother such nonsense. :cool: )

Hi there!

Semper Fi,

Manda

sparkie
10-05-07, 09:51 PM
What the Fork did I do wrong now?,,,, And little girl,, chase your dreams, and don't listen to 84.

Marine84
10-05-07, 10:19 PM
LOL @ Sparkie! Nothing honey, unruffle your tail feathers.

manda anne
10-11-07, 11:58 PM
wow sorry it took me so long to reply back to this. Alot has happened=]

well I talked to the recruiter from my area, hate to say it but he kinda shrugged me off, but it didnt bug me too much becasue i was actually in the CRC (Career Resource Center) to get my ASVAB scores

I scored an AFQT of 80.

now what the hell does that mean?

I was always told it was it first step when considering the military, and that what you were going to do in the military was dependent on what your score was.

so...I have my score...now what?

LeonardLawrence
10-12-07, 12:07 AM
MANDA ANNE;

Marine Corps

ASVAB Score - Marine Corps recruits must score at least 32. A very few exceptions are made (about one percent) for some exceptionally otherwise qualified recruits with scores as low as 25.
Education - As with the Army and Air Force, those without a high school education are ineligible. The Marine Corps limits GED enlistments to no more than five percent per year. Those with a GED must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to even be considered. As with the other services, the Marine Corps offers advanced enlistment rank (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/blusmcadvancedrank.htm) for college credits. However, of all the services, the Marines are the most restrictive in this area. The maximum advanced rank for college credits is E-2, where the other services will give college credit advanced rank up to E-3 (E-4 in the ArmyHere is some infromation from another site regarding ASVAB. Depending on your other scores you got a pretty good score. Your job is dependent on those factors in addition to criminal background (if any etc.)

Don't take the recruiter thing personally. I am not sure how old you are as a Junior, but you may see some hesitation if you aren't a HS grad or are younger than 17. Some of that hesitation may be due to ineligibity, or otherwise thinking that you are "just looking". Show the recruiter you are serious about talking. Ask to attend some of the poolee functions as a guest, etc. Show some tenacity. If you really want it, you will get his time and attention.

LeonardLawrence
10-12-07, 12:17 AM
Tyler Durden (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000093/): All right, if the applicant is young, tell him he's too young. Old, too old. Fat, too fat. If the applicant then waits for three days without food, shelter, or encouragement he may then enter and begin his training. Here is a line (above) from the movie Fight Club that may help :D I don't think I have ever met a USMC recruiter who was a coddler.

Good Luck!

manda anne
10-12-07, 12:18 AM
Yeah, I kind of figured he was being slightly stand-offish becasue of my age (last weekend was my 16th) so I got screwed in that department.

If I take my schools NROTC Scholarship and apply in march, I have to go through a whole bunch of different steps becasue I will not have turned 17 by Sepember 1st of my sr. year.

ABout the poolee functions in AK...there are none. When my dad was stationed at the reserve unit up here (because that's all we have) the only thing they ever did was recon. training. Now becasue of the higher security (and gov't budget cuts) we don't really have a USMC unit anymore.

and thanks for the ASVAB help =]

LeonardLawrence
10-12-07, 12:23 AM
No problem. I am sure that there will be more answers coming down range, probably with more accuracy. I think being in AK may limit your options. Usually the recruiters run a delayed entry program that is seperate from the Reserve units in your area.

I think the issue is the age, definitely. I wouldn't let it discourage you. I got the Dear Mr. Lawrence Letter from the Marines at age 14 telling me I was to young but to keep them in mind in a few years. I then had to wrestle and wrangle my recruiter, but it is worth it.

ROTC is always a good thing as well. If you do a search on Marines+OCS you can find some pretty enlightening threads.

GOOD LUCK and stick around there is a lot of good intel being flung around here daily!

Phantom Blooper
10-12-07, 06:13 AM
:scared: Watch out for Phantom, Fist, Hrscowboy, Ed and Sparkie and "your place" will be fine. ;) :)

I hope that I will not scar you for life on any of my comments.....NOT!

Please Do Not Disturb the man behind the curtain,
I am disturbed enough. But I will let you know if I am being disturbed by YOU.

Now my advice:Wait until your 17 and then go talk to the recruiter on a serious note. By that time there may be a new recruiter on orders in the sub station. In the meantime do PT'ing on your own and get in shape as much as physically possible.Stay on board this site and be an avid reader and an active participant. There is plenty of knowledge and hundreds upon thousands of years of honorable experience to help mentor you.

And nothing says you can't go see the recruiter in the office now if you need a question answered.....however the recruiter may be leery to speak to you because of your age..... and here comes a scar.....your gender,until you become a recruit-able age.

Good luck to you and listen and PM Marine84 for advice but,don't believe ALL you hear about me.......ROTFLMAO!

Phantom Blooper
10-12-07, 07:41 AM
Stay on board this site and be an avid reader and an active participant. There is plenty of knowledge and hundreds upon thousands of years of honorable experience to help mentor you.

Disclaimer:

I actually wanted to say also be a good listener....even though this is cyber space put on your cyber ears and listen to what these Marines have to say..a bunch of GREAT scoop & knowledge.

:evilgrin: