PDA

View Full Version : What was old is new again

thedrifter
09-17-07, 08:39 AM
What was old is new again

LINDELL KAY
September 17, 2007 - 12:00AM
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Young, unattached Marines onboard Camp Johnson were given the chance to kick it old school Saturday as the Single Marine Program had them out playing Wiffle ball, dodge ball and kick ball.

"This takes me back to my childhood," said Pfc. Donyale Brewer. "These are the games I played when I was a kid."

After four months of boot camp and two weeks of school, Brewer said she was ready for a little R-and-R.

That was the whole point of the day, said Michael Saunders, organizer of the event for the program.

"We wanted these Marines to spend the whole day just playing sports you normally only get to play when you are a kid," he said. "We wanted to take them back to grade school."

The 100 plus Marines who floated on and off the Parade Grounds where the games were set up were provided with free water and Gatorade, free food and music by a local disc jockey.

Teams were set up and points kept, but there were no losers, Saunders said. The day was all about having fun and recapturing a little of the past.

"The program is all about providing a higher quality of life for single Marines on Camp Lejeune and Camp Johnson," Saunders said. "We've been to Myrtle Beach, and in October we will take a trip to the State Fair."

Single Marines will also make another trip in October to see Lynard Skynard and Big and Rich in concert in South Carolina. In September, Single Marines will travel to Medieval Times in Myrtle Beach and take part in a Texas hold'em poker tournament.

For more information on the program or how to get involved, call 910-451-0084.

Contact police reporter Lindell Kay at lkay@freedomenc.com or 910-554-8534. To comment on this story or to read others' comments go to jdnews.com.

VIDEO: Marines play Wiffle ball.

www.jdnews.com/video/marine_51752___video.html/revisited_chidhood.html

Ellie