PDA

View Full Version : Marines return to Hunter

thedrifter
09-17-07, 08:13 AM
Marines return to Hunter
Latest News | Local
BRIAN FRANCONE | September 17, 2007

There were tears and there were hugs.

There were introductions to new members of the family, and word that others had passed.

But for those waiting at Hunter Army Airfield on Sunday evening, perhaps the most important fact was that Marines from the 2nd Beach and Terminal Operations Company were safely back home.

Family and friends eagerly waited outside the unit headquarters building as 24 Marines - two had arrived earlier - dressed in civilian clothing got off a bus that brought them from Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport.

"I'm proud of our Marines, but I don't think that I have slept a full night since they left," said Ainsley Dunn.

Both of Dunn's sons are lance corporals in the unit.

Zane Dunn was one of the 24 Marines who returned home Sun- day.

His brother, Jared, is preparing to possibly go to Iraq in early 2008.

"It's nerve-racking for our mom, but it's something we have to do," said Jared, the eldest of the brothers.

"The cycle will start again if Jared goes," Dunn said.

In total, 26 of the reservists were activated last December and after training for their mission were on their way to Iraq.

They arrived at Al Taqaddum Airbase, nicknamed TQ, in central Iraq in February.

"When we got to TQ, we integrated quickly with the Marines on the ground," said Gunnery Sgt. Kenneth Titus.

"We accepted our mission and took over operations within three days of being in-country."

While on their seven-month deployment, the 26 Marines were attached to Command and Logistics Company 115.

The 115 is based out of Camp Pendleton in southern California.

"We were responsible for moving around 900 Marines every day," said Titus.

Marines reservists from Puerto Rico and Wilmington, N.C., took over the mission of the 2nd, allowing them to make their long-awaited trip home.

"We left with 26 Marines and we brought 26 Marines home," Titus said proudly.

Ellie