thedrifter
09-15-07, 06:57 AM
Posted: 9-14-2007
Badger a welcome retreat
Marine Reservists look forward to day trip to Manitowoc and back

PATTI KLEVORN - NEWS EDITOR

By Patti Klevorn

News Editor

It will be a welcome change from the desert conditions they experienced in Fallujah, Iraq. A trip across Lake Michigan aboard the SS Badger Saturday offers a cool retreat for 137 Marine reservists and their families who returned from overseas duty this spring.

“Time off, and no one calling your cell phone,” are what Major Dan Whisnant is looking forward to for the day.

Whisnant and his fellow veterans of the war are reuniting for the day cruise to Manitowoc, Wis., courtesy of Lake Michigan Carferry.

Whisnant’s Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 24th Regiment Marine Reserves based in Grand Rapids spent seven months — from September 2006 to April 2007— in one of the most dangerous regions in the world, the so-called Sunni triangle west of Baghdad. The 100 percent Sunni Muslim area didn’t want any part of the new Iraqi government — run by a majority of Shi‘ite Muslims — when Alpha Company Marines arrived. There wasn’t a single Iraqi police officer among them in the area for which Alpha Company was responsible. But by the time the company returned home, the Iraqis were training their 300th police officer for the region.

Alpha Company Marines fought alongside the Sunnis in resisting al-Qaida, training them to continue the fight after the Marines returned home.

“The Marines of Alpha Company did a phenomenal job of taking an area that was once completely violent and decreasing that violence to almost zero,” Whisnant said.

“When I look at the news now and see Katie Couric walking down the street with (Marine Lt. Col. Gareth Brandl) and she says, ‘Now Fallujah is considered a real role model of something working right in Iraq,’ there is no bigger honor.”

No medal or commendation necessary.

The company lost five Marines, including Pfc. Brett Witteveen of Hart, during its time in Iraq.

The families, Whisnant said, are in various stages of mourning and recovery.

“It’s just amazing to go and talk to the families and see their spirit and see how willing they are to sacrifice other things to make sure other families are being taken care of,” he said.

A mother of a Marine reservist in the company wanted to make sure all of the veterans were welcomed home properly when they returned from Iraq. She was among those organizing a welcome home party and gift bags. She sent a letter to west Michigan businesses seeking gift cards and discounts for the bags. Lake Michigan Carferry received the letter and offered to do one better, a reunion trip for the Marines and their families.

“My grandfather, Floyd Gilbert, was a wheelsman,” said Kim de Bruin, mother of Sgt. Joshua de Bruin. “I just thought it would be a nice thing that would be relaxing and different. They’ve been in a desert and here they could be on the water.”

“The Marines are really looking forward to this,” she said.

“It’s amazing that the Badger is extending their gratitude to us in this manner,” Whisnant said. “It just reinforces my opinion that the businesses and people of west Michigan are fantastic. From the homecoming to all the things they’ve done since have shown the Marines they’re appreciated.”

Lake Michigan Carferry wanted to offer the Marines a chance to get back in touch with each other in a fun format, said Magee Johnson, the company’s public relations director.

The Saturday sailing will include 137 of the 200 Marines, plus their spouses, significant others and children for a total of 239 Marine family members aboard the Badger.

“It’ll be a lot of fun for the other passengers as well,” Johnson said. “We hope to have a really patriotic sailing. We’re going to decorate the boat … I hope it’s really festive and they have a chance to cut loose.”

patti@ludingtondailynews.com

843-1122 x341

Ellie