PDA

View Full Version : 1st Reconnaissance Battalion has reunion at Marine Corps museum

thedrifter
09-14-07, 06:54 AM
Thursday, September 13, 2007
1st Reconnaissance Battalion has reunion at Marine Corps museum

By Pfc. Skyler Tooker
Combat Correspondent

First Reconnaissance Battalion Association hosted a reunion at the National Museum of the Marine Corps July 30 for all past 1st Recon Marines.

The reunion started out in Tun Tavern at the National Museum of the Marine Corps for a few cocktails as the guests arrived.

‘‘We have been having reunions like this for many years, but usually it’s not just reconnaissance – it is the whole 1st Bn.,” said Garry Kline, the treasurer for the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion Association.

There were several former Marines, officer and enlisted, at the reunion, but the guest of honor, retired Lt. Gen. Bernard E. Trainor, was a Marine who went from a private all the way up the chain to lieutenant general and served in key military positions throughout his career between 1946 and 1985.

Trainor, who gave the opening speech before dinner, spoke about the highlights of his career and commented on the many good times he experienced during his two separate terms commanding 1st Reconnaissance Bn.

Following the extended introduction, it was nothing but old friends catching up on old times as dinner was served.

The gallery of the museum, where the main event took place, was filled with laughter and conversation as the old generation of Marines and their families got reacquainted.

‘‘I love coming to these reunions because of the camaraderie and seeing old friends,” said Bill Hay, a former Marine with Recon Company, 1st Marine Division. ‘‘They say if you go to war with someone you’ll never forget them. Which is true, I will never forget these guys here.”

At the reunion there was an empty chair by Trainor to honor all the fallen comrades they all served with.

One of the attendees, a retired gunnery sergeant known as ‘‘Gunny Pupahi,” expressed his feelings about the fallen comrades of his era.

‘‘I did four tours in Vietnam, from 1966-1968 and from 1970-1971, and I wanted to keep going back because I couldn’t stand the fact that many of my friends are dying over there, and I thought if I was there doing my part then I could prevent some of that from happening,” Pupahi said. ‘‘The events and reunions like this are not only times to see old friends but a time to remember old friends that served our country.”

The reunion ended with a group photo of all the different platoons together and everyone saying goodbye to each other until next year’s reunion.

‘‘The 1st Reconnaissance Battalion Association would like to all the members of the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion Association and all the Marines in the Corps today, and to let them know that we are praying for them,” Kline said.

The 1st Reconnaissance Battalion Association has been raising money for the past five years, trying to reach a goal of $25,000 for a memorial monument they are interested in erecting outside the museum, and they just recently reached their goal, said Charles W. Kershaw, president of the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion Association.

Ellie