PDA

View Full Version : Just got my pro/con marks

Katzman
09-13-07, 02:48 PM
Leaving for II MHG to go to Iraq for PJCC and have been checking out. Got pro/con marks of 4.5/4.5. Honestly I'm a bit dissapointed. I was put up for MOQ, and have done near everything I could with situation to be as best as I could be. My 1STSGT told me I lost MOQ by a thread.

Honestly, I'm not happy with myself. 4.5/4.5 is what, average? I guess I need to realize that I'm not really that ... great of a Marine. I'm usually pretty motivated even though the atmosphere frowns on it, but I guess that's not the way to live it. But talk about a dissapointing day. Found out that I didn't get MOQ, and my marks.

I guess life will go on though :)

jetdawgg
09-13-07, 02:55 PM
Leaving for II MHG to go to Iraq for PJCC and have been checking out. Got pro/con marks of 4.5/4.5. Honestly I'm a bit dissapointed. I was put up for MOQ, and have done near everything I could with situation to be as best as I could be. My 1STSGT told me I lost MOQ by a thread.

Honestly, I'm not happy with myself. 4.5/4.5 is what, average? I guess I need to realize that I'm not really that ... great of a Marine. I'm usually pretty motivated even though the atmosphere frowns on it, but I guess that's not the way to live it. But talk about a dissapointing day. Found out that I didn't get MOQ, and my marks.

Katzman, I once just missed getting MOQ in 1979. The next quarter (1980) I won.

Don't quit on yourself. When you elevate yourself, you make everyone else elevate their game also.:usmc:

Katzman
09-13-07, 02:59 PM
I'm definately not quitting on myself. I'm just dissapointed as hell. I sure do realize that I should've done more MCIs and volunteered or something. I never really thought about volunteering until I was told to write my brag sheet for the board. I'm not quite sure that I'll be put back up though as I'm leaving the BN on Tuesday.

jetdawgg
09-13-07, 03:02 PM
I'm not quite sure that I'll be put back up though as I'm leaving the BN on Tuesday

So, just win it over there:usmc:

MarineNCO
09-13-07, 03:42 PM

Unfortunately not all units grade on the same level. I have a FAP (Fleet Assistance Program) Marine from an Infantry Unit. His average Pros and Cons are 4.4/4.4. He was put up for meritorious promotion 2 times and MOQ 1 time. But those are the Pro/Cons he received.

In my old unit I received Pro/Con marks averaging 4.5/4.5 and i was a LCpl/Cpl working in a SNCO billet. I was considered outstanding regarding my peers but not in regards to the IRAM. Most other Marines got 4.3/4.3 marks.

0.0 - 1.9 Unacceptable
2.0 - 2.9 Unsatisfactory
3.0 - 3.9 Below Average
4.0 - 4.3 Average
4.5 - 4.8 Excellent
4.9 - 5.0 Outstanding

The above is directly from the IRAM (MCO P1070.12K).

I notice you have been in the Marine Corps just shy of two years. You may notice yourself getting higher Pro/Con marks from a new unit. You may see yourself getting lower marks. If you read the IRAM you will see it is vague in some areas while specific in other areas regarding what marks to give.

SkilletsUSMC
09-13-07, 03:56 PM

Katzman...

Youre a Boot, which probabaly means you have very few responsibillies, and know jack and **** about the Marine Corps in general. None of the Marines that were part of my Boot cycle EVER got above a 4.5/4.5 until they actually held a real billet.

Youre job is to do what youre told and to shave... If youre crying about 4.5/4.5 then...:thumbdown

MarineNCO
09-13-07, 04:04 PM
You should know by now that a Marine is not happy unless he is bit****g and moaning. What you do is turn it around on them and feed them the information they need to perhaps help make themselves a...

Katzman
09-13-07, 04:30 PM
Katzman...

Youre a Boot, which probabaly means you have very few responsibillies, and know jack and **** about the Marine Corps in general. None of the Marines that were part of my Boot cycle EVER got above a 4.5/4.5 until they actually held a real billet.

Youre job is to do what youre told and to shave... If youre crying about 4.5/4.5 then...:thumbdown
First of all, I was not crying about 4.5/4.5, I simply said I was dissapointed with myself. And as far my responsibilities, I take on what my corporals do, I just don't hold the rank of corporal. Not to mention, how can you say that I don't know jack about the Marine Corps in general? You can't, you're only making assumptions. And what the hell is it about being a jackass to someone in your own service? Seriously, I think if you're going to make some assumptions about what I do or do not know, you should evaluate what you're saying first.

Katzman
09-13-07, 04:37 PM
Thank you MarineNCO, though, for the info on the IRAM, I really had no clue about it and I thought pro/cion marks were just a tentative scale of what the chain of command thought about a particular Marine. I'll definately be reading it.

GySgtRet
09-13-07, 04:45 PM
The two ranks that I cherished the most were LCpl and GySgt show them what youv'e got as a LCpl early on and you will be awarded what you have done. 4.5/4.5 nobody is water walker, maybe I just marked harder because I wanted my Marines to shine better than the other Marines. Having been on boards as a Pfc for LCpl and being nominated first out of 5 being the junior in the board, I figured that I could give sound advice. It is called keen competition in the Marine Corps it is not on Marine against the other in the sense that you would do harm it is the better Marine for that particular board, mertitorious promotions etc. Having been so close MOQ stated a lot about your character. Also, being nominated for MOQ states loads about you as a Marine.

Katzman, good luck at your new duty station and keep your positive out look you will do great.

Semper Fi and thank you for your service.

Isrowei
09-13-07, 05:03 PM
Katzman...

Youre a Boot...

You know Skillets... everyone is a boot to someone else. For instance, you're a boot to me... And I may be a boot compared to some of the guys who have been around 20-30 years. Get the picture? In the end, the only thing that distinguishes maturity from foolishness is the words that come out of our mouths, the words we write, and the actions we do.

MarineNCO got it right. I hope you have figured out a few more things before you pin another stripe. You missed it big time with that comment.

SkilletsUSMC
09-13-07, 05:50 PM
You know Skillets... everyone is a boot to someone else. For instance, you're a boot to me... And I may be a boot compared to some of the guys who have been around 20-30 years. Get the picture? In the end, the only thing that distinguishes maturity from foolishness is the words that come out of our mouths, the words we write, and the actions we do.

MarineNCO got it right. I hope you have figured out a few more things before you pin another stripe. You missed it big time with that comment.

Thats fine if Im boot to you. But I am no boot. either way I dont give a ****. Im also an NCO and I dont come on line crying about pro and con marks that are excellent. So its You who missed the mark.

Waaaa dont call the boots boots or they might get their feelings hurt.

Katzman
09-13-07, 06:03 PM
Why don't you define boot for us then?

Quinbo
09-13-07, 06:10 PM
The Marines in their infinite wisdom discovered years ago that to give a young lance 5.0 5.0 left no room for growth. If your marks show a gentle rise over time it is a more accurate evaluation of you. Starting with 5.0/5.0 only leaves you one direction to go and it aint up. You can strive for higher where the mark has been set now.

Katzman
09-13-07, 06:14 PM
I will have to agree with you, Bulkyker.

MarineNCO
09-13-07, 06:43 PM
Thats fine if Im boot to you. But I am no boot. either way I dont give a ****. Im also an NCO and I dont come on line crying about pro and con marks that are excellent. So its You who missed the mark.

Waaaa dont call the boots boots or they might get their feelings hurt.

SkilletsUSMC:

Read your creed and act like one. Give respect to all, not just when the rank is in your face and the UCMJ says you have to "or else".

Another suggestion: Read "Handbook for Marine NCOs" by Lt Col Kenneth W. Estes USMC (Ret.) You can generally find it at your local PX or you can do an online search for it by title.

Remember, our actions today in front of junior and senior Marines may have a lasting influence on them, either negative or positive, in regards to how they view others of equal rank or billet.

By the way, your profile is a bit lacking. Mind filling in some more details for us?

Quinbo
09-13-07, 06:53 PM
Ahh Skillets is just being modest with his profile. I happen to know he has been a Corporal longer than Katzman has been a Marine. He watches out and takes care of boots and aint afraid to call a spade a spade. Somewhere along the lines he earned a purple heart.

SkilletsUSMC
09-13-07, 07:16 PM

Sure.

"Boot" is an unofficial term used for a Marine usually between the ranks of pvt-lcpl who has completed his SOI, or MCT/MOS training, is stationed with a Fleet Marine Force unit, but has yet to deploy. Upon returning from a deployment, the Marine will have more experience and then recieve his "boot-drop" from SOI/MOS school. This Marine may still be considered "boot" to his seniors, but he is not considered to be an official "boot".

The term "boot" may seem kind of mean, but I have been called much worse by my senior Marines. After a while it becomes part of your dayly speech, and you may find yourself calling your peers boots for fun. "Boot" can also be used in many ways, as in "Skillets may pick up Sgt in october, but he will allways be a Boot Sgt to me".

hows that?

Isrowei
09-13-07, 07:25 PM
Bulkyker, that was a good note you had about marks. There's always room for improvement. In my opinion, there will never be such a thing as a 5.0/5.0 Marine... But that's my opinion. For exactly the reason you stated.

Skillets, calling a spade a spade is one thing... blowing your mouth off is quite another. If you've been a corporal that long... well... figure it out. No one came "crying" about their marks. If that's how you "mentor" your Marines when they bring you their concerns... *shudder*

Marines have concerns. They need to be taught. Just like someone will have to teach you the PES system and how to manage your OMPF ... IF.. you ever pick up Sergeant. Hopefully the person you turn to for knowledge will be more caring than you have been here.

sparkie
09-13-07, 07:31 PM
I always knew a 'boot' as a 'recruit' I can't see one Marine calling another Marine,'Boot". Was it just me? Do we now have to compair Each others "chit load' to be a Marine?
My Boots are shiener than yours. But I stepped in Chit too?

hrscowboy
09-13-07, 07:32 PM
I never liked the word boot.. but i always used FNG ....

Isrowei
09-13-07, 07:34 PM
We called them Nick...

sparkie
09-13-07, 07:41 PM
http://www.defendamerica.mil/images/photos/mar2005/photoessays/pi030905a10.jpg

Isrowei
09-13-07, 07:48 PM
Eh... kinda in bad taste I think given what the picture is about...

sparkie
09-13-07, 08:08 PM
You want bad taste???? What do you think it's about? Bad taste, my fat ars.Marines need to be Marines. Get over...

sparkie
09-13-07, 08:23 PM
One Marine calling another 'boot' Pi$$es me off. I have many brothers, Some still alive. you wanna cut each other down? Thats why I posted what I did. Real brothers don't fight like this. We are all we have.

RLeon
09-13-07, 08:32 PM
Wow, we always called Marines from boot camp up until their first year in the fleet a "boot".
I didn't realize folks were so sensitive about it.

PIDI 8511
09-13-07, 08:53 PM
Hey all of us are brothers here are we not, we all chew dirt, eat razor wire and **** napalm correct!! The young Marine as said before needs room for improvement and negative comments will only bring...

Isrowei
09-13-07, 09:02 PM
You want bad taste???? What do you think it's about? Bad taste, my fat ars.Marines need to be Marines. Get over...

Whoa, calm down devil. All I'm saying is that we went from a conversation about 'boots' (meaning inexperienced junior Marines) to a picture representing fallen Marines.

It's a jump that I just don't quite get given the context of what was being discussed. Pardon if you didn't mean it disrespectfully, but.. well.. at least I hope you didn't.

sparkie
09-13-07, 09:06 PM
Of course not, Marine! our dead are not disrepected. I don't ever want to see my Brothers Fight amongst themselves. We serve a Higher cause. Keep it that way.

SkilletsUSMC
09-13-07, 10:21 PM
Skillets, calling a spade a spade is one thing... blowing your mouth off is quite another. If you've been a corporal that long... well... figure it out.

I have been a Corporal for 14 months. I was promoted Combat Meritoriously in Iraq on July 2nd. Its not like Im being non-rec'd or anything. Katzman hasnt been in too long and he should be pleased as hell to have 4.5/4.5 pro and con marks. That says to me that he is a Good Marine and will do well in the future. As for calling him or other Marines "boots", its not something to get too butt-hurt over. Its just how the FNG learns the pecking order of his new unit. When theres more Marines than seats on a 7 ton or in a Humvee then you'd say "no boots on the furniture" or "If your name begins with B and ends with T give up your seat." Its sucks being a boot, but its just the way things are.

Quinbo
12-02-09, 03:21 AM
This thread has exceeded its shelf life but I was curious? Katzman now that you are are a sergeant did your first fit rep have all the marks all the way to the right? Did you get a 1 in ranking among your peers?

AAV Crewchief
12-02-09, 08:56 AM

Are you infantry? 4.5/4.5 is better than average or was "back in the day". I never had more than 4.8/4.8 and made Sgt in 44 months.

zx6rdr
12-02-09, 09:24 AM

Not to get into the middle of this pi$$ing contest but;

1. Why does your profile have a Sgt Avatar but says that you are a E-4?
2. You graduated boot camp in 2007 and you are already a Sgt? I would say that you are doing pretty damn good for yourself; dont worry about the pro/cons.....

Quinbo
12-02-09, 09:38 AM
ZX since this is an almost 3 year old thread yup he is.

zx6rdr
12-02-09, 09:40 AM
ZX since this is an almost 3 year old thread yup he is.

Sh!T, sorry, I should pay more attention....

HOWARDROARK3043
12-03-09, 06:05 PM
i am cpl,, and i already know all about fit reps and ---above-- below and in zone-- always get ready for TWO ranks higher,,,,,,,,,,

Supersquishy
12-03-09, 06:13 PM
i am cpl,, and i already know all about fit reps and ---above-- below and in zone-- always get ready for TWO ranks higher,,,,,,,,,,

rank chaser

Katzman
12-03-09, 07:21 PM
Hey sorry gents I haven't checked my email or anything for a while. Yes I am a Sergeant now, have yet to receive my fitrep as have been a Sergeant for only 2 months. I am doing pretty well for myself as far as rank is concerned (if you want to comment that I'm a boot or whatnot being a Sergeant under 3 years, don't, I know all about it)

Semper fi