PDA

View Full Version : Grunt educational level

HCCPoolee
09-13-07, 11:02 AM
I am looking foward to joining the Corps but i wanted to see if i could get into it with a GED only so that i can get in sooner ive allready decided this is what i want to do is be a grunt so could i get in with a GED only Thanks to all that reply:thumbup:

Isrowei
09-13-07, 11:05 AM
If you're still in High School, finish it. You'll thank yourself later that you earned your diploma.

One of the things Marines are known for is to finish what they start. Being a Marine is a noble goal, but you shouldn't sacrifice your long-term accomplishments for short-term benefit.

HCCPoolee
09-13-07, 11:10 AM
but ive basically been wanting to do this sence i was around 7 and i dont really want to do anything else but be all i can be:flag:

Whitey
09-13-07, 11:14 AM
you have to have a diploma or a GED with 15 credit hours to get in

HCCPoolee
09-13-07, 11:17 AM
thats what im looking to do is get a GED

Yami Chasi
09-13-07, 11:29 AM
Well, I'm got a Good Enough Diploma myself,(I was homeschooled my entire life, I've never been to a day of school that isn't college) and it does make it a lot harder to get in if you don't have any college credits. I believe my recruiter said that from about every 30 or so that they ship to Boot Camp, only 1 can have a GED. So, it is possible to get in with just a GED, but you'll have to do a lot of working, waiting, and hoping until they can get a slot open for you. Since you want 0300 that makes it easier I would think because there is always a need for more people in that MOS. It also is made easier since you want to ship as soon as you can.

Achped
09-13-07, 11:32 AM
Don't be stupid. Get your high school diploma. Our Corps will be here for you. Trust me, my SDI told me he made lots of enemies for us in Iraq. We won't be out of a job any time soon.

HCCPoolee
09-13-07, 11:34 AM
yah becouse basically thats my only goal in life is to be a grunt and ive allready told the recruiter this too so basically i hope i can get in ASAP

jinelson
09-13-07, 11:37 AM
Now hear this I for one am ticked off at the thought of a GED. For one they are not as easy to pass as you seem to believe. Two my Marine Corps only allows 5% of total force to enlist with a GED. If you are in school stay in school even if it means 2 or 3 more years. My Marine Corps has been around almost 232 years and it will wait for you to qualify yourself. We Marines don't look for the easy path we just aren't used to anything easy. Besides your last two years of high school are a blast enjoy them.

Jim

HCCPoolee
09-13-07, 11:40 AM
Yes Sir!

Chumley
09-13-07, 11:41 AM
usmc08,

First of all, I live in Waterford.

Secondly, Please heed my advice on this one. Your hunger and desire are commendable! But, you need to learn PATIENCE. You want to be the best, right? The best isn't the strongest, fastest, smartest, or hungriest. It is all of these things combined. A Marine you could be, but that isn't the end goal, it's merely the beginning. If you want to be a Marine, you will need to make good decisions. Instinct - Yes, it's a part of it. But good instinct is matured like a fine wine into killer instinct only with training, maturity and time. FYI - Many Marines do not make a career in the USMC. If you do, let's say 4 active years, where do you go when you get out?? You may do just fine in life with only a HS diploma or GED, but you create much better odds for yourself with further education.

Becoming a Marine doesn't mean that you get to avoid college, it means that your education continues, just from a military perspective, and it's not easy. Your MOS school, even infantry, is no joke. If you take a more technical MOS, the schools can go from 6 weeks to well over a year. If you make a career out of it, you will want to get promoted as much as and quickly as possible. Your intelligence may get you by, but your (lack of) education becomes somewhat obvious eventually. Eventually you would likely want to look into going back to college if you want to make a career, which you help you make SNCO or maybe even to try to become a mustang Warrant Officer or get a commission as a Marine Officer.

You may have some sound arguments why you want this so badly and don't want to wait. I think you should back up a step, look ahead, past the next 6 months, and look at the next 30 years too. Picture where you want to be, and what you hope to accomplish by the time you are 50, and set a path to get there. You can have most anything in life if you have realistic goals, and work hard doing what it takes to acheive those goals.

I'm not trying to talk you out of this!!! I'm hoping to give you a different opinion that will make you a better Marine. We do not settle for mediocrity!! Set high goals for yourself, then ACHEIVE them. The Marines will only show you how to do it - the rest is yours to live with.

Good luck! Since we live about 5 minutes apart, I would gladly meet with you face to face, and/or help you out, discuss your ideas, maybe even do some PT together. E-mail me via PM and I'll give you a phone number if you're interested.

C

Isrowei
09-13-07, 11:45 AM
Wow, Chumly! Spot on Devil!

If you don't mind, I'm going to blatanly plaigarize that the next I need to counsel on the benefits of getting an education.

Chumley
09-13-07, 11:50 AM
Have at it Bro! I've typed the same thing a few times before, but I'm gonna keep repeating it. An NCO's job is to help out a little brother. I wish I had listened to good advice a little more ofter than I had when I was his age.

SFi
C

immaproshooter
09-13-07, 12:00 PM
take my words in consideration as well...i myself have a GED i didn't do it because i just wanted to get it i dropped out of high school because i had to support my family and work 60 hours a week at 16 years old...and i wish i had a reg diploma, i don't have any college credits just job experience thankfully I'm good at what i do and i make crappy pay, not much that will get me but barely through it pays the bills and leaves money for gas n food....and to spend on the girlfriend.......a measly 10 bucks an hour isn't much when you ar supporting yourself and another, stay in school,,,hell better yet wait even longer before enlisting get yourself a college education, I'm great with computers so I'm lucky to be in a field where the minimum wage is like 10 bucks an hour...but for most people with a GED they have really hard time getting any jobs at all, and like it has been mentioned before the Corps will wait on you the Corps isn't going anywhere anytime soon its been around a hell of along time and it'll be around forever so you don't have to be afraid of missing out on anything

TheBiggness
09-13-07, 12:05 PM
The recruiter told me 15 college credits with my GED to enlist, and they have to be college level classes.

And like imaproshooter said. Its rough trying to get employment with a GED.

immaproshooter
09-13-07, 12:21 PM
well i have no college credits so its possible with none but its harder.....my suggestion would be to get an education go to school the Corps will wait on you like its been repeated by so many before, this is what i wanted since i was 3 years old yet i waited until i was 21 to actually enlist

HCCPoolee
09-13-07, 12:21 PM
well thanks to all again the advise really really help'd me out in my overall decision

MikeC049
09-13-07, 12:27 PM
Talk to your high school guidence counselor. I was able to graduate in 3 years. All I had to do was complete one English class that I'm working on right now.

Bradly Powell
09-13-07, 12:50 PM
You should finish high school. Im a senior in high school and a ship out in 08 a week after my B-Day. Think of finishing high school as your first challenge in becoming a Marine. And GEDs are for Army grunts not Marines!!!

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-13-07, 12:55 PM
Everyone is missing one point here. The guy is only 16 years old. It doesn't matter if you have a GED and 2000 college credits, you're not going to enlist at 16. Its possible to enlist at 17- if I recall correctly you can ship when you're 17 1/2. Since you were born in April, I'd guess you'd be pretty close to graduating at that point- so just suck it up and graduate.

rvillac2
09-13-07, 01:51 PM
And GEDs are for Army grunts not Marines!!!

At Ease, son. You're jabbing at warriors. They bite back.

HurricaneRJ
09-13-07, 03:13 PM
We all could go on about GED vs. H.S. Diploma forever. If you want a quick way out. Do Night and Summer school to graduate alittle early. Get your parents signature at 17 and be on your way.

Your going to be either a High School dropout, or a High School Graduate. Graduating H.S. is the higehst point of my life right now. I wouldn't take none of my Senior year back. The privledges, the pranks, and the SENIORITY!!!!. Man I had fun.

Chumley
09-13-07, 03:39 PM
Guys,

Not gonna harp on this too much, but...after my Marine Corps life, I became a civilian communications technician. Working for a moderate size company, we cabled small businesses up to large campus sized projects with the telephone and network cabling that we all live by today. It's construction really, like an electrician, but...whatever. After 5 years of being a cable bullet, I was selected and promoted out of the field and into management, where at one point I had 120 installers working for me, with the help of 4 supervisors under me, and some qualified lead technicians too. That single event has shaped my life to got me where I'm at today.

I know that there are many stories about those who didn't get a diploma and still managed to succeed in life. Let me tell you this: As the former employer of all sorts of people, I needed people that represented and presented a customer friendly image, and who could get the job done well, and also make the company money. A lot of the bozo's who came and went could barely spell their names right. Jobs come and go real fast for you if you can't even fill out a timecard properly to get yourself paid, much less follow basic directions and do basic onsite paperwork. Construction jobs do require administrative skills.

So please keep in mind - Are you really giving solid advice to your Poolee peers when you teach 'em how to short-cut through life and barely get a basic HS diploma? Let's encourage ourselves and future Marines to set the bar higher not lower. HurricaneRJ points out that it's some of the best memories too - don't forget the basics. Stepping off the soapbox as we speak.

My 2cents.
C

Fubar5812
09-13-07, 03:48 PM
You should finish high school. And GEDs are for Army grunts not Marines!!!
shut your god damn mouth!!

I have a GED and no way in hell am I an army,step back and examine yourself.

yes you can get in with a GED,they will require 15 college credits BEFORE you ship for boot,i'm in college right now working on getting my last 12 then i ship in january.

the Marine Corps only accepts about 5% of GED graduates a year,I like to refer to it as "the select few among the few and the proud"

as for a career,I currently work at a veterinary hospital as a vet tech and am making great money and I love my job.

HurricaneRJ
09-13-07, 03:50 PM
shut your god damn mouth!!

Go get em. :evilgrin:

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-13-07, 04:31 PM
Cwalling, you couldn't have said anything more offensive. And then Hurricane quoted it. Come on people, show some class. If your vocabulary is so limited that you have to resort to blasphemy to make a point maybe you should rethink your decisions and get back to high school.

As for being a "select few" that is true. Because the Marine Corps will only let a small number of people that have failed to graduate from high school to enlist. It isn't a sign of honor, it is a sign that you can't be trusted to finish what you started.

CBRN5711Tech
09-13-07, 04:56 PM
I can understand Marines bashing the army. But you poolees haven't even been to boot camp yet. You haven't been to Iraq and you don't know what its like. The army has soldiers dieing for our country all the time. A poolee doesn't rate to say anything about the army.

HCCPoolee
09-13-07, 05:00 PM
yah i agree with you at least their out their doing something for people that bairly even think of them i mean any soldier in my book is declared a hero

USMC90
09-13-07, 05:18 PM
If you're still in HS.. finish. If not go back or go to adult eduction.

I left high school not long ago and now I'm going back because I regret that decision. I'm only 16 (17 in dec) so why would I leave when I only have a year or so left? Just man up and finish school because trust me, you'll regret it in the long run if you don't.

Good luck.

Norkalkilla
09-13-07, 05:26 PM
Im going Infantry, and I want the guy next to me competant enough to get through highschool. Do yourself a favor and complete highschool.

HurricaneRJ
09-13-07, 07:37 PM
Lets not forget that most people with GEDs, left for family reasons. A lot of guys at Sand Hill had left school because babies, supporting family, or troubles at home. Not everyone with a GED, is that dumbass who QUIT school, because it cool.

TheBiggness
09-13-07, 08:30 PM
Im going Infantry, and I want the guy next to me competant enough to get through highschool.
Yeah because common sense and reflex is tought by a high school teacher.

Norkalkilla
09-13-07, 08:36 PM
If you cant pass highschool because you are too lazy, please join the other Corps. The peace corps.

HCCPoolee
09-13-07, 08:45 PM
no ones to lazy just getting facts to see for reference deffinently finish school number 1 priority as a youth

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-13-07, 08:54 PM
Lets not forget that most people with GEDs, left for family reasons. A lot of guys at Sand Hill had left school because babies, supporting family, or troubles at home. Not everyone with a GED, is that dumbass who QUIT school, because it cool.

Of every person that I know of that dropped out of school, one did it for a reason like this. The rest were just too lazy to go to school. There may be some out there, but saying most is far from the truth.

HurricaneRJ
09-13-07, 10:47 PM
Well from the guys at MEPS joining Army infantry. It was mainly those three reasons.

1. Guy had a baby.
2. Another had his dad get hurt so he had to help run the family farm.
3. Another didn't have enough money to eat or buy the school supplies he needed.

Now I'm basing that on people joining the Military in general. There is of course a lot of people out there in the regular world out there who quit for no reason.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-13-07, 11:09 PM
We had one guy without a high school diploma in our platoon in the fleet. (He had to get one before they would call him deployable so he spent time doing that) He admitted that he quit school for no reason other than he didn't like it.

I understand there are people that have to work. A good friend of mine in high school was forced to live on his own. He had an apartment near the school and worked to pay his bills and feed himself. He also had time to be a state champ in track. Other than the person needing to work on the farm, the others could have continued to go to school if that would have been their choice. We all make choices every day- but you have to live with the choices you make.

Fubar5812
09-13-07, 11:18 PM
wow you people are completely ignorant.

I am PROUD of my GED and I don't need to listen to chicken**** BS from the likes of other people who don't know what there talking about.

you think we get GED,s because where "lazy" have you ever TAKEN the GED test? it's 4 years of highschool in 4 3 hour tests! i had to study for 2 monthes,3 times a week every week to pass that test,even then i failed the math section the first time and had to re-take it.

E4B-your remarks offend me.greatly.I got my GED not because of "i could't finish what i started" but because of problems out of my control! Learning disabilites that had gone treated through middle school suddenly my high school refused to help me anymore,bullying by kids combined with financial hardship with my family,my 2 brothers and I had to all get jobs to help my mother keep a roof over our heads.All of that became too much so i dropped out,i worked for a year.when things finally stabilzed i began studying for my GED,greatest thing I ever did up to that point.

I AM NOT LAZY! I go to college now,I work and I PT and read up on the USMC in my free time,so maybe there are some GED graduates out there who are just plain lazy and good for nothings.but i am NOT one of them and do not have to be considered as one because of your and others ignorance.

MikeC049
09-14-07, 12:09 AM
If your in high school, stay there. If you have a GED, good job and good luck with your career. If you graduated, good work and good luck. Also, I don't think anyone should base someone's intelligence off their education level. (to an extent) Lets encourage each other instead of bashing.

HurricaneRJ
09-14-07, 12:28 AM
Yeah, this one guy with a GED made a 89. I won't even post my score as he cleary outdid me.

But for now I think things need to calm down. Everyone has expresses his/her opionion. Let's remember Poolee we all have the same goal here. That is to become United States Marines.

If a remark "Offends" you take it to PM.

CWalling. I'm positive that Cpl. E4B won't mind PMs at all. I understand the need to defend yourself, but your a Poolee and GED or not. I look upon you as a brother. So let's drop it and kick the **** and get back on track. We got work to do.

immaproshooter
09-14-07, 12:34 AM
hey.......calm down everyone...everyone needs to stop getting so uptight about it..oh and about that kid poolee saying ged's are for army grunts......you need to wake up and stop being so ignorant....i AM a Marine ..not a lowly poolee.....and I AM a grunt in MY beloved Corps, so get your facts straight....i would recommend any day for ya'll to get a diploma over the GED i did what i had to do to support my mom and my sister and i would do it again if i had to go back......but thats me....you can talk down on me all you want any day of the year...but at least when i go to bed at night i know what i did was more respectable then what most will do in their lives and on top of that i can at least go to bed every night knowing that I am a Marine and ive earned my title and am damn proud of it too, on that note.....arguing over this topic is ridiculous....if at all possible stay in school...its whats best for you hell even go to college before joining get your education out of the way and under your belt ... you never know when you will need to fall back on it and dont wanna have to need it and not have it yet either....

yellowwing
09-14-07, 12:43 AM
Show's over folks.