PDA

View Full Version : Floral Flag

Barrio_rat
03-29-03, 11:23 AM
2 1/2 hours north of Los Angeles.

In regard to the pictured flag:

Between the field where the flag is planted there are 9+ miles of flower fields that go all the way to the ocean. The flowers are grown by seed companies. It's a beautiful place close to Vandenberg AFB. Checkout the dimensions of the flag.

The 2002 Floral Flag is 740 feet long and 390 feet wide and maintains the proper Flag dimensions as described in Executive Order #10834. This Flag is 6.65 acres and is the first Floral Flag to be planted with 5 pointed Stars comprised of White Larkspur. Each Star is 24 feet in diameter; Each Stripe is 30 feet wide. This Flag is estimated to contain more than 400,000 Larkspur plants with 4-5 flower stems each for a total of more than 2 million flowers. You can drive by this flag on V. Street south of Ocean Ave. in Lompoc, CA.

Aerial photo courtesy of Bill Morson

SHOOTER1
03-29-03, 11:31 AM
Now thats a flag:banana:

Barrio_rat
03-29-03, 11:39 AM
A buddy of mine was sent this email. It was sent to him by a friend who's cousin is a chaplain with some of the Marines on Camp Pendleton. It's a very interesting read and I hope you enjoy it as much...

SHOOTER1
03-29-03, 11:49 AM
Sounds like hes good to go with the Marines.

Barrio_rat
03-29-03, 12:34 PM
May she also have the freedom to look for a new career.

Letter from radio station website in Lubbock, home of the Dixie Chick that spewed forth about our president:

Name: LT Layne McDowell
Date: 03/15/03 Time: 01:54:49 PM

Comment: An open letter to the Dixie Chicks

Earlier this week, while performing in London, you stated that you were ashamed that our President is from your home state. I wonder if you realized how many Americans would be listening. This American was listening. This Texan is ashamed that you come from my state. I serve my country as an officer in the United States Navy. Specifically, I fly F-14 Tomcats off carriers around the world, executing the missions that preserve the very freedom you claim to exercise. I have proudly fought for my country in the skies over Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan without regret.

Though I may disagree wholeheartedly with your comments, I will defend to the death your right to say them, in America. But for you to travel to a foreign land and publicly criticize our Commander in Chief is cowardice behavior. Would you have so willingly made those comments while performing for a patriotic, flag-waving crowd of Texans in Lubbock. I would imagine not.
How dare you pocket profits off songs about soldiers, their deaths and patriotism while criticizing their Commander in Chief abroad, even while they prepare to give their lives to ensure your own freedom of speech.

Please ask yourself, what have you done to deserve that sacrifice? Do not try to justify your comments by claiming that you made them only because you care about innocent lives. Never once in our history have we committed troops to war for the purpose of taking innocent lives. We do it to protect innocent lives, even yours. If the world leaders of the late 1930's had the vision and courage of our present Commander in Chief, perhaps the evil men who caused the death of millions in WWII would have never had the opportunity to harm a soul. The potential loss of millions of lives in the future at the hands of today's evil men necessitate action.

In a separate correspondence, I am returning to you each and every Dixie Chicks CD and cassette that I have ever purchased. Never again will I allow my funds to support your behavior. All you have done is to add your name to a growing list of American "Celebrities" who have failed to realize that they have obtained their successes on the backs of the American blue-collar workers such as our servicemen and women.

To Natalie Maines: This Texan, this American will continue to risk his life to guarantee your freedoms. What will you do to deserve it?

lurchenstein
03-29-03, 07:26 PM
Gotta' commend the Chaplains for their courage.

They asked me to go with them on a night raid, this time riding in the back of a 7-ton truck, stacked in and riding "nut-to-butt" as they so colorfully describe it.

Guess "nut-to-butt" is a replacement for the familiar "a**hole-to-belly button.

Good Post!

Barrio_rat
03-30-03, 02:24 AM
Noticed that line too, lurchenstein... Seems to me, these Marines have the right Sky Pilot with 'em... can take Jarhead jargin without passin' out! Good to know they're in good hands - what got me was him going out on ops with 'em. Now that's motivation!