PDA

View Full Version : Perks or benefits?

crate78
09-12-07, 11:08 PM
My wife and I went to a family reunion at Mahoney State Park between Lincoln and Omaha, NE this last Sunday. Since I didn't have a season sticker on my car, it cost me four bucks to get into the park on a one day pass. I asked the guy in the booth if they gave breaks to disabled veterans and he looked at me like I was crazy for even asking.

Veterans used to get into the Nebraska State Fair free on Labor Day. All you needed to do was show some sort of proof of service. Not any more. During the fair this year, they made a big production out of announcing that veterans would get in free--before 0900 last Friday morning. Think about it. No one with a working spouse or kids in school will be going to a fair on a Friday morning. In other words, they picked the time when there would be the absolute least gate traffic to let veterans in free. All they did was p*** off all the veterans in the state.

So I got to wondering how veterans in other states make out. Do you get any special benefits in the way of free park and fair admissions, hunting or fishing permits, or any other perks for being a veteran, disabled or otherwise?

crate

ggyoung
09-13-07, 12:10 PM
In Utah no. During my 2 tours in Vietnam I had to pay state income taxs. I will never forgive the State of Utah for that.

erased
09-13-07, 04:11 PM
In Utah no. During my 2 tours in Vietnam I had to pay state income taxs. I will never forgive the State of Utah for that.

No change. While in Iraq, I paid Utah taxes as well.

As for the question at hand. I drank for free in NYC during Fleet Week of 2004. Aside from that, nothing comes to mind.

ggyoung
09-13-07, 04:55 PM
earsed where in utah are you from?

erased
09-13-07, 05:18 PM
Raised in Ogden; lived in Roy when I enlisted.

3077India
09-13-07, 05:21 PM
Lousyana, the Original Banana Republic, is so poor, especially since Katrina and Rita, it needs all the money it can get (wonder what happen to all that revenue from the Oil and Natural Gas Taxes:confused: :nerd:). Veterans aren't cut any breaks, but Senior Citizens are.:confused: I guess risking one's life in the Armed Forces serving one's country isn't good enough.

jarheadweb
09-13-07, 06:08 PM
The only break we get in AZ is the Grand Canyon, and you have to have a copy of your DD214 or other proof that you are a veteran. But this was 5(?) yrs ago, I am sure things have changed since, but I got 1/2 price on my admission for the park (both N and S Rims) and the pass was good for 365. Can't beat that I guess.
Best of luck