PDA

View Full Version : Noob To This Site... My Son Is A New Recruit

miclash1
09-12-07, 11:23 AM
HELLO EVERYONE! I WAS INTRODUCED TO THIS SITE BY BERNIE JACKSON ( NOT SURE OF HIS SCREEN NAME )

MY SON RYAN LASHER JUST LEFT FOR PARRIS ISLAND ON SEPT 10. HE IS ONLY 18 YEARS OLD AND MADE A DECISSION TO SERVE HIS COUNTRY. I AM SO PROUD OF HIM, HOWEVER SCARED AT THE SAME TIME. HE IS MY ONLY SON, AND I ALREADY MISS HIM TREMENDIOUSLY.

I BELIEVE HE WILL BE IN THE LIMA CO. AND WILL BE GRADUATING ON DECEMBER 7TH.

I HAVE BEEN GIVEN A FEW WEBSITES TO TRACK WHAT HE IS GOING TO BE GOING THRU..IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE THAT ANYONE CAN PROVIDE TO ME TO ME. IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

FOR THOSE WHO ARE NEW TO THIS AS I AM. THIS IS ONE OF THE WEBSITES I WAS GIVEN TO TRACK DAY TO DAY TRAINING. IT SEEMS LIKE A GREAT WEBSITE, AND IS VERY INFORMATIVE.

WWW.USMCGRADPARRISISLAND.ORG (http://www.USMCGRADPARRISISLAND.ORG)

THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ALL WHO PROTECT THIS GREAT LAND, AND I LOOK FORWARD TO TALKING WITH ALL OF YOU.

MICHAEL

Alphaonethree
09-12-07, 11:46 AM
Welcome aboard and you new Marine should be bringing home Dress Blues.

D. DRESS BLUE ISSUE. PER CMC DECISION, RECRUITS WILL START RECEIVING THE DRESS BLUE UNIFORM VIA INITIAL ISSUE DURING 1ST QUARTER FY08. THOSE ENLISTED MARINES WHO ENTERED THE MARINE CORPS BEFORE 1 OCT 2007 AND/OR DID NOT RECEIVE THE ISSUE DURING RECRUIT TRAINING WILL BEGIN RECEIVING AN INCREASE TO THEIR ANNUAL CLOTHING REPLACEMENT ALLOWANCE BEGINNING 1 OCT 2007 TO COVER THE COST OF THESE UNIFORMS, BUT WILL NOT ACCRUE ENOUGH MONEY TO PURCHASE THE UNIFORMS FOR 4 YEARS. THE MANDATORY POSSESSION DATE FOR THE
DRESS BLUE ALLOWANCE WILL BE 1 OCT 2011 (THIS DATE IS APPLICABLE TO DRILLING RESERVISTS, TO INCLUDE SMCR/IMA/AR MARINES).

Momof2Marines
09-12-07, 07:12 PM
I have 2 Marines Wait till Graduation!! You will be so proud!!

Another web site is Marineparents.com. But you will find some very good info on this web site.

Cyndy PMM of Jerry and Randy:flag:

miclash1
09-13-07, 05:11 AM
thanks for the info folks.

as for the dress blues: i was told by my son's recruiter that they have to purchase thier own Dress Blues. why is this? he also said that they can earn them. my question is this: if it is required, then why are they not issued? i see Marines in them all the time, so i just assumed it was part of thier issued uniforms. i was hoping to see him in them when i went down for graduation!!!! he said he wants to try and earn them when he is home on leave. how long does it take to earn them? i know i have alot of question, and i appologize but this is all new to me.......

Alphaonethree
09-13-07, 06:24 AM
Depending on when your son / daughter left for boot camp will determin when he or she will be issued dress blue uniforms. Per CMC orders all Marines will have there dress Blues before 2011. They will get additional pay per month in there clothing allowance but will not be enough to purchase the uniforms by 2011. They will start issuing Dress Blues in boot camp as part of the initial uniform issue. This will start in October of 2007. If your son or daughter is in boot camp at that time but have already been through initial uniform issue they will not be issued there Dress Blues and will be givin the extra money per month. You are better off purchasing them your self.

marinepooly1361
09-13-07, 08:56 AM
Not sure if Poolees are allowed to post in here,

but the SSgt at my Recruiting Station said that Starting with recruits graduating AFTER Oct 1 (the begining of the new fiscal year) will be Issued dress blues, and the cost will be deducted from their pay &/or uniform allowance.

Stick with your son, I know how he feels, I am my fathers only son as well, and he is taking this extremely hard.

miclash1
09-13-07, 10:08 AM
i too am taking this real hard, but my son has my 100% support. in anything he does, especially this. this definatley proved to me that he is much more of a man then i can ever be. not that i wouldn't have served for my country, but at the time circcumstances didn't allow it ( youg father )....

i just hope world affairs change a bit before he is at the point of shipping out any where. ( i doubt it though )..

if anyone can answer this i would appreciate it.. where is it that you all get shipped to first? is there really a dream list that u can bid? he wants to go to hawaii, or maybe even japan....or do they just put you where they need you. what is the chances that he will go into combat in the 4 active 4 inactive years that he owes the government.

i admire everyone of you...who fight for my freedom, and i am so glad my son has a new band of brothers.

Momof2Marines
09-13-07, 10:40 AM
My son earned his dress blues by being the guide of his platoon during boot camp. My older son did have to purchase his, but he certainly had enough money coming out of recruit training.

I think it depends on your son MOS as to where he will be based.

And to you Marinepooly good luck to you, you have chosen a path less taken and I honor you for that choice.

Cyndy PMM Jerry and Randy:flag:

LeonardLawrence
09-15-07, 03:28 AM
miclash,
welcome to the family!

Osotogary
09-15-07, 05:47 AM
I anyone can answer this i would appreciate it.. where is it that you all get shipped to first? is there really a dream list that u can bid? He wants to go to Hawaii, or maybe even Japan....or do they just put you where they need you. What is the chances that he will go into combat in the 4 active 4 inactive years that he owes the government.

miclash1-
Welcome to this website. I am not a Marine but a father of one. All of your immediate concerns went through my mind continuously when my son was active so you are definitely not alone on these matters.
I can't answer your questions but I will suggest that once you find out your son's Battalion and Regiment you visit that particular website for not only some approved for release information but also family support linnks that you can get involved , if you so desire. Also, if your son gets assigned to "The Fleet" and has to venture off into the sunset, find out the name of the ship and find its' website. Then you can start putting two and two together to get a very general idea of where your son mightbe. Then, if you know where son is deployed and his deployment area of operations is on an approved MOTOMAIL site, you will be able to write your son, without cost, and he will receive your letter in a couple of days. Check out MOTOMAIL.
The one thing that always came to my mind, as I was getting stressed out over things that I had absolutely no control of regarding my sons' deployment, was that he was a Marine in the company of Marines, it doesn't get much better than that.
Adios for now. Write your son often with good news and humor.
Gary

miclash1
09-17-07, 04:58 AM
thanks to all of you who have chimed in. i do appreciate all your help and warm welcomes....

this weekend, i just got a postcard from my son. he furnished me with his new address, and company ...

can anyone tell me what this all means please.

PLT 3108, CO. L, BN 3
BOX 3108
PARRIS ISLAND, SC 29905-3108

i obviously know what most of it means, i just want to know what the first line means.

sparkie
09-17-07, 07:36 AM
Platoon# 3108,,,'L' Company,,, 3rd Recruit Training Batallion
"My old unit"

MarineDadKY
09-17-07, 07:39 AM
I got to talk to my son yesterday. They just finished the Crucible and graduate this Friday. I asked him about Dress Blues and he said they were told they really do not need them until they are NCO's. I will take his word for it, what do I know? :) He got a first class on his PFT and wants to try for Recon if he can get his run time down a bit while he is on leave. He said his times were good but he wants them to be better before he makes the decision to try out. Smart move.

Alphaonethree
09-17-07, 07:47 AM
You actually got to talk to him? Wow that is unusual. His platoon must have done something very right to be able to call home.

sparkie
09-17-07, 07:49 AM
The 3RD was put down in '69 'cause we were the only ones in the new brick barracks, 1 and 2 were still wooden. and 1st was considered the "real" Marine Corps for some reason. Just a little ancient history ;>

miclash1
09-17-07, 10:00 AM
I got to talk to my son yesterday. They just finished the Crucible and graduate this Friday. I asked him about Dress Blues and he said they were told they really do not need them until they are NCO's. I will take his word for it, what do I know? :) He got a first class on his PFT and wants to try for Recon if he can get his run time down a bit while he is on leave. He said his times were good but he wants them to be better before he makes the decision to try out. Smart move.

my son also wants to try his hand at recon. although his mind might change now that he is actually in. he expressed a little intrest in recon when he first signed up. he is going to do communications as an mso, but wants to Maybe cross train down the road.

miclash1
09-17-07, 10:01 AM
sparkie,

thanks for cracking the code for me.

FistFu68
09-17-07, 11:31 AM
:evilgrin: FRONTIER CITY,TWILIGHT ZONE,DISNEYLAND,I ALSO WAS IN THE 3RD.BN.~(INDIA CO.) THE OTHER 2 BN.S REALLY LOVED OUR NEW O-COARSE WE HAD WAITING FOR THEM THOUGH!!!:D S/F GOD~SPEED TOO YOU'R SON!!!:usmc: OH, 4TH BN.WAS CALLED RAGG-TIME(LMAO)RESPECTFULLY...

sparkie
09-17-07, 06:45 PM
Thanks, Fist, Now I remember,,, Disneyland.

Idena
09-19-07, 10:16 AM
You actually got to talk to him? Wow that is unusual. His platoon must have done something very right to be able to call home.
I thought that all recruits can call/email home on their liberty Sunday before graduation. I've seen them lined up for the phone in the commissary on Sunday afternoon.

Elle
09-28-07, 02:51 PM
Do they keep the battalion and company they are assigned to in boot? I know my Airman's changed when he went to his assignment...