PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas Marine Remembered

thedrifter
09-12-07, 05:41 AM
Arkansas Marine Remembered
CW Arkansas - Sep 11

On this sixth anniversary of the terrorist attacks that shook America's core, the family of a Traskwood Marine is mourning his death. Sergeant Michael Yarborough joined the Marines right after the September 11 attacks.

He died in Iraq, when a car bomb exploded while he checked cars crossing the Iraqi border. Fox16's Jennifer Akers talked to Yarbrough's mother today about the son she calls an American hero.

"Michael was the class clown, he could make you laugh, no matter what mood you were in, he could make you laugh. He'd wear two pairs of pants, so that he had extra padding.

He knew when he was going to get a paddling, he knew," said Rhonda Kidder. Sergeant Michael Yarbrough's mom, Rhonda Kidder says 24-year-old Michael was her son, best friend, and so much more.

"When he would get paid, he would say mom what needs to be paid, we took care of it together," said Kidder. This was Sgt. Yarbrough's third tour of duty to Iraq.

To give you some idea of the type of person he was, on his second tour of duty, Yarbrough volunteered to go, he didn't have to, but he volunteered, so that his buddy could stay home with his pregnant wife.

Sgt. Yarbrough and his wife Mary, didn't have kids, but doted on his nieces and nephews, Cole, Cade, and Courtney. Rhonda says if she could have one more conversation with her son this is what she would say to him.

"I would hold him, tell him how proud I am, how much I love him, I will always love him and be proud of him. He died a hero, for our country, and I support him one hundred percent because that is what he wanted. He's my hero, he always will be.

He's a true marine," said Kidder. In our Fox16 bottom line, Yarbrough is the second man from the Malvern area to die serving our country this past year. You may remember, Private First Class Donovan Witham, died in August after a roadside bomb exploded near his vehicle in Iraq. Yarbrough is the fifty first Arkansan to be killed in Iraq since the war began in 2003.

Ellie