PDA

View Full Version : Can any Marines help decipher my Dad's 'Nam records?

Jguru23
09-10-07, 04:20 PM
Hi all, I am new to this forum and looking for some help regarding my Father’s records & his service during Vietnam.

There are 3 outstanding questions that I think his service paperwork (that I just received) will help answer (see paperwork below):

1.) Did he earn 1-Silver Star & 1-Bronze Star on his Vietnam Service Medal (VSM)?

His DD214 (see below) references "1-star", while his Awards Letter states "1-Silver & 1-Bronze Star". If you refer to page-3 of this "Record of Service" it lists the "VSM w/ 1-star" and also lists all of the operations he was part of. I also know for a fact that he did two full tours in country. Is there anyway of deterring if he was part of enough campaigns to earn a silver & bronze based on the operations he was part of or the units he was in?

2.) I need to create a brass nameplate for his shadowbox and don’t know how to set it up based on the groups he was a member of. I thought the format was "Division, Battalion, Regiment". Am I way off?
Here are all of the groups he was a member of during his service:

Marine Combat Service Support School, Marine Combat Base (or Marine Corps Base), Camp Lejeune

C Company, 13th Motor Transport Battalion, 5th Marine Division, Camp Pendleton

Headquarters and Service Company, Battalion Landing Team, 2cd Battalion/26th Marine Regiment 9th Marine Amphibious Brigade, Fleet Marine Force Pacific

Headquarters and Service Company, Battalion Landing Team, 2cd Battalion/26th Marine Regiment 1st Marine Division (Reinforced) Fleet Marine Force

Company A, 5th Motor Transport Battalion 5th Marine Division Fleet Marine Force

Company C, 1st Motor Transport Battalion 1st Marine Division (Reinforced) Fleet Marine Force

2cd Marine Wing Facilities Squadron, 2cd Marine Wing Group Headquarters, 2cd Marine Air Wing, Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point (I don't know what the 28533 means)

3.) His "Awards Letter" states that he earned the "Republic of Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation (Civil Actions Medal Color w/ Palm". This award is not listed anywhere else. Does anyone have an understanding of this award? Was it issued to all Marine units who served in ‘Nam and if so what is the distinction between the unit and the individual award?
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l242/Jguru23/DD214.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l242/Jguru23/Page3.jpg

ssgtt32
09-10-07, 05:03 PM
fill out profile please!