PDA

View Full Version : Marine Gets Married Before Heading To Iraq

thedrifter
09-10-07, 01:10 PM
Marine Gets Married Before Heading To Iraq
Bride Nervous About Husband's Deployment

POSTED: 3:35 pm CDT September 9, 2007
UPDATED: 3:53 pm CDT September 9, 2007
DES MOINES, Iowa -- An Iowa Marine is having a busy weekend.

Lance Cpl. Steven Lowry is one of 150 Iowa Marines headed to Iraq. He got married Saturday before he reports to active duty on Monday morning.

"We're gathered here to unite Steven and Melissa in marriage," said the Rev. Doug Bolsem.

For Melissa Lowry, the event is bittersweet. She said she is scared and nervous about her new husband to Iraq. This is Lowry's first time overseas, but the second time for his unit.

"I don't know how to feel to be honest. I've blocked it all off until now," she said.

He heads on Monday to three months of training in the U.S., then Lowry will head to Iraq.

"I'm excited -- I've been in for three years and I've wanted to go and our time has finally come. So I'm excited to go, but not excited about leaving her," he said.

The couple met last fall and quickly fell in love.

"I can be myself around her and she's the same with me. We're perfect together and just friends, and I don't think I could ask for anything better," he said.

The unit is expected to be in Iraq for seven months.

"I know he has to do what he has to do, and he's proud and he's trained so hard to do this, but I can't deny, I'm scared to death. We just want him to come home," said Lowry's mother, Sandra.

Ellie