PDA

View Full Version : Is military justice broken?

thedrifter
09-10-07, 01:06 PM
Is military justice broken? <br />
After several bad cases in Iraq, the system is showing signs that it works well. <br />
By Gary Solis <br />
September 10, 2007 <br />
<br />
American soldiers and Marines in Iraq are...

Zulu 36
09-10-07, 02:17 PM
Military justice is broken in the sense that there is too much command influence on criminal investigations and subsequent prosecutions. Pressure to report only inculpatory evidence and ignore exculpatory evidence makes for sh*t cases and no justice for anyone.

As I have opined previously, I think the Haditha case is sh*t. In a civilian court things would have been tossed rather early on in the proceedings if NCIS brought that case in.

Maybe those guys, or some of them, ARE guilty of a crime of some sort, but the investigation is so crappy, it's hard to tell.

I think the JAG hearing officer who threw out those cases against the two young Marines had brass balls. He told it like it was with the investigation. He was probably going to retire soon anyway.

I think a major case investigation unit should be formed that covers all branches of the military, working for the SecDef. Only former civilian police detectives with major case investigation and military experience would be allowed to work in this unit. They handle all murders (anywhere in the world) and war crimes stuff. They also need the power to tell a nosy general to f*ck off or demand support and make it stick.