PDA

View Full Version : Help with dress blues

devildog4life30
09-09-07, 09:18 PM
My wife and I will be attending a Marine Corps Ball this year and does anyone know where I can find uniform regs online for the placement of chevrons and service stripes? Its been years since I was in and I cant remember it all. Do I still rate my ribbons and badges for wear as well? I would appreciate any help.

Chumley
09-09-07, 09:41 PM
devildawgforlife30, <br />
<br />
You will always rate your medals and badges. I just learned that you have to have earned a NDSM in order to wear your unifirm as a civilian, even if honorable discharged. ...

SlingerDun
09-09-07, 10:35 PM
Thats good to know as i have on occasion wanted to wear dress blues to a party:marine: But not a chance as i have the sorry distinction of having sold my dress blues to one Sgt. (Private) Clayton...

Haffner
09-09-07, 11:09 PM
I'm a boot: what's NDSM?

devildog4life30
09-10-07, 06:07 AM
national defense service medal

ssgtt32
09-10-07, 05:22 PM
Did not know that, I was always under the impression that if you received an Honorable Discharge you were able to wear the appropriate uniform for said occasion as long as you were within...

Chumley
09-10-07, 05:59 PM
Same thing here - I ASSUMED that I could choose to wear Blues when appropriate. I don't - never have, and I am ..... er-uh-ummmm ..... not serviceable ( no the uniforms haven't changed ). ...

sparkie
09-10-07, 06:49 PM
Who does not rate a NDSM? Never stood firewatch?

bucksgted
09-10-07, 08:24 PM
Who does not rate a NDSM? Never stood firewatch?
Look at the cutoff dates and you'll see a lot of Not So Cold, Cold War folks are excluded. Go figure!!

Sgt Leprechaun
09-10-07, 11:39 PM
I realize what the regulations say, but I've seen plenty of Marines wearing Dress Blues who do not rate the NDSM. I always understood it to be, unofficially anyway, that you put your &quot;Honorable...

Chumley
09-11-07, 06:54 AM
Like I said, now I'm ready for the next board. This is just one more small trivial info that most of us don't know until you learn it coincidentally. I only saw it as I browsed the link I was...

devildog4life30
09-11-07, 09:50 AM
what I need to know are the exact placement of the chevrons and service stripes.

Chumley
09-12-07, 07:10 AM
devildog4life30,

The second link I provided to you has all the answers in depth. Click on the link, then click on Chapter 4, and scroll ALL the way down.
All uniform specs are detailed...even tells you what type of stitch to use to sew them on. If you have further questions after reviewing this info, email me and I will help you find the specific answer.
SFi
C

Here's the link...

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sit...gs%20Index.asp

Accord
09-12-07, 12:11 PM
Regardless of what that dumb regulation says, you most certainly rate to wear the uniform SSgt. <br />
<br />
The regulations state that you only rate to wear the uniform for either 60 or 90 days after you EAS,...

jgorosco
09-12-07, 12:28 PM
dd4life....have you taken your blues or Alphas to a tailor and told them place new chevrons on your new set of blues for you? Just have them measure them. It shouldn't be a problem to get them to do it. You should still have your uniforms from 4 yrs ago

Hanzo
09-12-07, 12:30 PM
Question for you gentlemen. My sister will soon be getting married to a Marine (not sure if that's a curse or a blessing) and there is a good chance he will want the groomsmen in their blues. I am...

Sgt Leprechaun
09-12-07, 02:15 PM
If you marched across the grinder, and were called a Marine by the Colonel, or completed the Crucible and were handed an EGA by your drill instructor, then you rate the title, Marine. <br />
<br />
That having...

devildog4life30
09-12-07, 02:55 PM
I got out and joined the army, big mistake. I gave my blues and alphas to my little brother who at the time had no blues. He was getting married and instead of forking all the money over for blues I gave him mine

Hanzo
09-12-07, 05:14 PM
I see what you mean, but my confusion came when I read the part I quoted about an uncharacterized discharge being considered an honorable in some circumstances. I just wasn't sure if this was one of...

Accord
09-12-07, 09:30 PM
If you want to show off your service, a minature NDSM and a tie tack sized EGA, pinned conservatively to the collar of the suit, work just as well.
I'll take the blues :D

JAMarine
09-12-07, 09:47 PM
I've known about this for quite some time. And I've always thought it sucked but that's why we have regulations I suppose. So unless you served during Korea, Vietnam or during the Desert Operations...... I guess we're not worthy.

We're still Marine though. No one can take that away from us.

Go join a Marine Corps League in your area. They've got pretty snazzy attire.

rich

greensideout
09-12-07, 10:09 PM
I'm getting a little confused on the wear of the uniform. I have always understood that the uniform could only be worn as a civilian by those that were currently in the military or those that were retired?

rvillac2
09-12-07, 11:04 PM
Must have been a freakin officer who wrote that Order. There are no "Former" Marines. We just change duty stations.

Truth be told: if your uniform is squared away and you're not acting like a fool, nobody is going to bust your nuts for wearing a dress uniform. Only reason I don't wear mine is that I most likely don't conform to the height/weight standards. (translated: it don't fit anymore)

semperfi170
09-12-07, 11:15 PM
If you go to www.usmc.mil and look up MCO P1020.34G and go to section 4004 para 2 you can get the information you asked for. Basically the tip of the chevron is centered on the sleeve 4 inches below the shoulder seam.

devildog4life30
09-13-07, 08:27 AM
thanks bros for your help. i am really looking forward to the ball this year. my wife has never been to any military function before. I hope she likes it. Heck she might even give me some vitamin P afterwards! lol

ssgtt32
09-30-07, 07:03 AM
Heck she might even give me some vitamin P afterwards! lol

Now that is funny, wifes/girlfriends usually get all crazy around all those uniforms, and they just cant stop the water flow...

Maurice