PDA

View Full Version : Barrington says thank you to the troops

thedrifter
09-09-07, 09:02 AM
Barrington says thank you to the troops
By Eileen O. Daday | Daily Herald Correspondent
Published: 9/9/2007 2:24 AM

A mix of bands, speakers, desert vehicles and recruiting materials all served to promote the military during Saturday's Freedom Fest in Barrington, but the real draw was more subtle: Tangible ways to show appreciation to the troops.

Families made their way to different stations that offered help in such things as writing letters to soldiers, picking up care packages to mail and contributing school supplies for Iraqi children.

Nancy Miller of Barrington and her 11-year-old daughter, Christine, were among those to drop off a packet of school supplies.

"I've never come before, but this seemed like a good way to help out," Miller said, "and to be honest, I had most of these things at home."

Those in attendance even had a chance to be interviewed on the Pentagon Channel. A crew was dispatched from Washington, D.C., to record the festival and its supporters for broadcast to the troops.

"People want to help the troops, but they don't know what to do or how to do it," said Pat McCoy of Palatine, who founded the Yellow Ribbon Support Group, which over the past four years has shipped more than 8,000 care packages.

The Barrington-based nonprofit organization We Do Care mounted the festival for the fourth year in the village's Metra train station lot.

The music started early in the afternoon with classic rock band Old School opening for headliner Joe Cantafio and the 101st Rock Division.

"Every year this gets bigger and better," said Dirk Bevridge, the event's organizer, who co-founded We Do Care in 2004. Officials stress that the group's mission is not political, but one of support, to let the troops know they are not forgotten.

"This is absolutely about supporting our troops," said Don Amato of Barrington, who attended with his teenage son. "We don't have anyone in our family in the military, but we wanted to come and say 'thanks.'"

Event planners partnered with 16 agencies, which all were situated in the "Care Village" at the festival. The village divided into three areas, including agencies reaching out to veterans, active military and families of deployed troops.

They ranged from the Soldiers Angels, 85th Division Family Readiness Group and the USO of Illinois, to representatives from the Marines, Navy, Illinois National Guard and the Army.

Madonna Piper of Barrington has come every year, she said, both to attend and volunteer.

"My dad was a veteran and fought in World War II, and I have a nephew in the Marines," Piper said. "We have to remember them, and get out here and support them and their families. They are defending our freedom, and we owe everything to these troops."

Ellie