PDA

View Full Version : Got 1st Letter from Son at Parris Island!

tohegal
09-08-07, 11:29 PM
Just had to share...son shipped on 8/26. TODAY we finally got a letter from him...actually three letters from different dates in one envelope. It was damn good to hear from him. He says that his DI is SSgt Taylor and that he is in Platoon 1100, C Company, 1st Bn. Has anyone had this same DI?
Would you be willing to tell me what he is like and what your time at Boot was like? He didn't give the names of his assistant DI's.

His graduation day is scheduled for Nov. 21st, the day before Thanksgiving...a perfect meal to have after Boot Camp, huh?!

He told me he got into deep trouble for looking up from his chow plate to see a "cute girl" working in the kitchen smiling at him. I don't know if he smiled back...but I do know that he had this to say....

" that was a mistake. Things like that get you in a world of pain here but you learn from your mistakes. Sometimes a world of pain is whats needed"
Could it be he is growing up??!!! :scared:

Obviously he was able to write the letter on the same day it happened, so I know at least his right arm is not broken LOL....Just wanted to share that with ya'll so you could get a laugh before bed.

I need to get my writing arm ready and write that boy a letter from home!!

rvillac2
09-09-07, 12:35 AM
Write him two or three letters. Include some other reading material, too, like a sports page, or newsletter from school or something. I've been sending printouts of funny cartoons and such.

The only day they'll see a newspaper is Sunday (if things haven't changed).

p.s. Nobody is going to break his arm or any other bone in his body.

tohegal
09-09-07, 12:47 AM
Write him two or three letters. Include some other reading material, too, like a sports page, or newsletter from school or something. I've been sending printouts of funny cartoons and such.

The only day they'll see a newspaper is Sunday (if things haven't changed).

p.s. Nobody is going to break his arm or any other bone in his body.

Good gosh...I hope not...I was just kidding around...

Can his little brothers draw him a picture? I don't want to send him anything too funny...for fear that he will remember it during morning line up and have to bite his lip to keep himself from laughing! Laughter is his weak spot.

davblay
09-09-07, 06:49 AM
Sounds like he is well motivated. Yes you can send him stuff his brothers draw for him. It makes him feel close to home during his traing to get that kind of mail. He would feel worse if you didn't.

Keep us posted as to how he is doing.

yellowwing
09-09-07, 07:02 AM
Letters are Gold in Boot Camp. It reminded me that its all worth while. :thumbup:

JordanB
09-09-07, 07:15 AM
Yeah write him often, particularly 1st and 2nd phase in bootcamp when the trainings slow letters from back home were all we really had to look forward to on free time in the evenings. What I liked that my dad did for me was he would print off news articles from the internet to let me know what was happening in the world, remember at PI your cut off from everything except what goes on in the Island.

thewookie
09-09-07, 07:59 AM
I'd suggest if his brother's are going to draw him a picture that it's not a drawing of him in uniform or having anything to do with the Corps. I don't think it worth the hassle or headaches if the DI's find it. Just my 2 cents. I'd also have to agree that current events, in conjunction with personal letters will make his day. If he like sports send him the box scores or standings from his favorite team or sport once a week. Talk about being alone on an Island!

Alphaonethree
09-09-07, 03:08 PM
Write him all the time. at least 5 letters a week. Its the ONLY bright spot in his day. My son is at MCRDPI right now in the second battalion. I think they call him private hollywood because he gets so much mail. And they ned it.

tohegal
09-09-07, 08:54 PM
Thanks for everyone's replies. I am looking forward to writing to him! We just got his address on Saturday, and we have a batch of letters going out first thing in the morning!!

Thanks for the advice about drawing Marine pictures...they mostly drew pictures of our pets and the new Halo 3 game that is coming out. My middle son can't wait until it comes out and he can write a blow by blow description of the game!

Oh, and one more ?....is it ok to send funny cards--the hallmark type? I know it seems like a silly question...but I don't want him to catch hell because of it.

Thanks!
amy

Chumley
09-09-07, 09:19 PM
tohegal,

I'm sure you have scheduled to attend his graduation ceremony. That will mean even more to you both than every letter he receives from you.

Chumley

tohegal
09-09-07, 09:37 PM
tohegal,

I'm sure you have scheduled to attend his graduation ceremony. That will mean even more to you both than every letter he receives from you.

Chumley

Yes, it is on the calendar and my husband has put in a request to be off from work. The hard part is that it's a holiday week, and we are hoping that he is able to get the time off. He's an anesthesiologist for a day surgery place and there must be a certain number of docs there at all times...maybe someone will switch with him if there is an issue.

If he is scheduled to graduate on the 21st, when would you suggest that we arrive? Will we be able to see him on the 20th?

Chumley
09-09-07, 09:50 PM
You will not be able to visit him the night before graduation, but arrive in town the night before, and bring ID and a legal vehicle to get on base in plenty of time to not miss anything.

I understand the complications, but I suggest that whoever can make it there should for his sake. It will make your turkey day better than the best tasting turkey ever could.

It will likely be the most important day in his life.

C

marinegreen
09-09-07, 11:00 PM
He'll be strutten like a Baney Rooster ! Keep him motivated with good letters !