PDA

View Full Version : A tribute to First Lieutenant Andrew Grayson

thedrifter
09-09-07, 07:47 AM
A tribute to First Lieutenant Andrew Grayson
Defend Our Marines ^ | September 8, 2007 | Uncle Robert

Andrew, the time has come for me to put pen-to-paper as it were, or more correctly fingers to keys, to express my thanks, for all that you have done.

As I season in years, I find that with each passing year of seasoning, I grow prouder to be an American. I love my country, my freedom, and all it provides me. I am eternally grateful for it and for what it provides to my family. God has given us young men, such as yourself, with hearts of courage and compassion; with minds of zeal and insight to step forward and serve our country, courageously placing your lives in jeopardy.

Our brand of freedom does not come easily. It comes with lessons that have been taught over time, on many battlefields, and in many situations in the past, from the American Revolution, to Omaha Beach; the rice patties and jungles of Vietnam, to Desert Storm, Bosnia, Afghanistan, and today a place called Iraq. Each day that goes by, would be impossible to maintain that freedom, were it not for Americans like you.

You are one of America's young who protect us all; you are among those who add to America 's greatness. These are not merely words, but a very real assessment of my faith in you and my sincere gratitude for all that you do. You are the reason that America is the greatest country on Earth and the reason that it will remain so.

You left the comfort and safety of your home. You said goodbye to your friends and family, to place yourself in harm's way.

You placed yourself in the front lines on the battlefield, in order that freedom could thrive and flourish. You marched into new territory and into overwhelming circumstances. You assaulted corners of the world where the light of knowledge and truth did not exist.

You saw the tragedies resulting from hate and fear. We sent you into a third world country to deal with people, and situations, and to survive an environment best left unspoken in mixed company.

We understand that you fight for the person on your right and on your left, and most importantly the ones you left at home. But, what is so unique, wondrous and marvelous is the fact that you are a chosen few.

You are sent as pillars of strength to help those who are in need; those who live their lives in oppression and who have never known the ideals of liberty. When history looks back on your actions, you will be included with the men who fought in WWII to give freedom to Europe, and our founding fathers who gave us our freedom. Through your efforts in the war-torn country of Iraq, a new nation is being forged.

Whether on America 's soil or in any foreign corner of the world, you stand as a reminder that freedom is often purchased at a very high price. You paid that price with blood, sweat, and tears, and often times, many among you, paid the ultimate sacrifice with their lives. Your effort will fill our history books as those Americans, who when called, have answered with bravery, enthusiasm, honor, vigilance, and devotion, not only for the American people but also for many around the world.

As a fellow American, I realize that you love and value life. But, I also realize that you love the ideals of freedom even more; the idea that your children and children of foreign lands, may live free, in a free land, under the blessings of democracy. God knows each of you by name and wherever you are and whatever you must do. He sends an Angel to watch over you.

Many times in the past, you have been faced with situations when the outcome was uncertain. You have made your decision and set your course based on your values, training, experience, and the well-being and safety of others.

Regrettably there will be situations in your future that will arise, and you will be faced with additional uncertainty to the outcome and there will apprehension about what lies ahead. But, you are a man of courage; you give unselfishly of yourself, as you maintain your pursuit for what is right.

Andrew, you are what makes this old salt, proud to be an American. I pray God blesses your life richly for your faithfulness to our country. Thank you for fighting for my freedom and for the betterment of all mankind.

You are one of our American heroes, so let it be heard, loud and clear, that this American stands steadfastly with you.

Uncle Robert

Ellie